Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lyokokrill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Orlando, FL
Does anyone know how well MacKeeper holds up under Lion? I'm planning on transferring it over onto my other Mac.

Lyokokrill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Orlando, FL
I really don't understand most of the claims that this software is horrible. Since I've had it on Snow Leopard it's done nothing but wonders for it. It runs fine on my Snow Leopard computer and am just wondering how it runs under Lion.

Aniday

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
There's free alternatives that everything MacKeeper does that work in Lion. I'm not willing to touch that app as there has been shady things about it for a while now.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I really don't understand most of the claims that this software is horrible. Since I've had it on Snow Leopard it's done nothing but wonders for it. It runs fine on my Snow Leopard computer and am just wondering how it runs under Lion.

Because you can do the same thing that app does without shelling $$. Also as other noted on this board it still can leave bits of applications on your hard drive. It does not do perform 100% of the time.

cyberone

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
Call me stupid but am running both MacKeeper and CleanMyMac on Lion.

Each app has own advantages, can't understand what the MacKeeper bashing is all about.

No problems over here, no CPU usage - except you're running a scan.

Like the Anti-Theft that comes with it and Login Items.

Am also running Onyx once a while - and planning to get DiskWarrior again.

A clean Mac always runs nicer.

Lyokokrill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Orlando, FL
Already bought for $20 a while ago, not going back. Transferred it over to Lion and it works great with the OS. Program has done nothing wrong, and if it ever does I'll remove it. After that I'll let you all know. So far, aside from their shady sales tactics, they have responded to all my previous questions and the program runs just fine. Plus I'll have it for a lifetime, so I'm good! :)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Already bought for $20 a while ago, not going back. Transferred it over to Lion and it works great with the OS. Program has done nothing wrong, and if it ever does I'll remove it. After that I'll let you all know. So far, aside from their shady sales tactics, they have responded to all my previous questions and the program runs just fine. Plus I'll have it for a lifetime, so I'm good! :)
This is called the "Placebo Effect." The functionality advertised for MacKeeper is not needed in a MacOS X third-party utility. If it does not damage your system, then it may appear to the uninitiated like yourself to be doing a good job. Back in the 19th Century, traveling salesmen rode around performing shows to attract buyers for their snake oil. Some buyers swore by snake oil, but it actually did nothing of value. MacKeeper is snake oil. Like the snake oil of an earlier century, this digital snake oil does nothing of value.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Call me stupid but am running both MacKeeper and CleanMyMac on Lion.
One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.
Does anyone know how well MacKeeper holds up under Lion? I'm planning on transferring it over onto my other Mac.
You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software.

cyberone

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
There's still room for 3rd party maintenance apps.

Got DiskWarrior on the way as well, loyal user since ages.

Run it once a month and every Mac runs smoother.

As to the cleaner apps, after running Onyx Safari is stalling now and then and Finder has to do new indexing, but doesn't do any harm to run it now and then.

So I got 4 maintenance apps running regularly and OS Lion runs very smoothly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.