MACMALL SUCKS

Discussion in 'Community' started by bokdol, Feb 15, 2005.

1. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

just wanted to tell my macmall story and the still ongoings of macmall.

it started on the 10 of feb while looking for a vid card for my computer and not getting the nvidia card for 150. but waiting and looking around. then on the 10 macmall had on there site the best g4 vid card out there. the ati radeon 9800 128 megs. what was even more amazing was the price

even with ati price drop this was amazing. so i bought it with the overnight delivery for 9.99 (so now it is the 15 five days later and no card). on monday i called them asked them what is going on they said it is leaving on wed and the would refund me the shipping cost. so i was happy.

so comes today. i call macmall again just to check up on what exactly was going on. (they seem to like transfering people around) and as i talk to a new person they said they would check on, there seems to be one left in the warehouse and it would ship today and told me to call them back with in the hour (that was 5 hours ago) as i tried many time to call back i get different people all giving me different answers. and durring all the call i went to go check the online status.. wooo hooo i think as i see the staus has changed from back order to in process. great i think. but whats this??????

THE PRICE CHANGED!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

289.99 plus 9.99 for shipping.

so after another round of calls i am on hold trying to get my shipping refunded and have me credited back the orriginal cost of the item. (i am really tired of hearing "thank you for your paitence all our account executives are still help other customers")

2. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

wow... that sucks.... Time to scream and yell i guess...

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I sympathize with you, but I'm sure MacMall just like all other retailers, have it written that they are not responsible for typos on their site.

4. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

yeah but still, if he paid for overnight.... almost three weeks ago, well, I'd be pissed.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've had good luck with MacMall - though I haven't gone through them for anything since the OS 8 days...hopefully you can do some arm twisting over the phone to get refunded.

Ever since I discovered OWC I've been a repeat customer, and they haven't let me down yet.

6. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

it was in more then just the site the web confirmation too and email confirmation... it was lucky that i have the info. plus i called my credit card company and they said macmall sent a confimation from the of the original cost before actually charging it. hehe i double checked every thing... seeems like macmall is trying to change the price under peoples feet.

7. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i like owc too but the price for the vid card was something i could not pass.

will even if macmall does not do anything.. my card company will stop them for getting their money untill the charage the original price... bank of america is great.

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Sounds like they caught a price error and, rather than do the honorable thing and honor the lower price for outstanding orders, they first tried to get you to cancel by just failing to ship the product, and then, when you were persistent, they decided to up the price and see if they could get it past you.

Stick to your guns. It might be a hassle (they are likely counting on it!), but you should get results.

Personally, I've bought from all of the Macatalogs at one time or another, and the only problem I ever had was when one of them added a printer cable to my HP OfficeJet order without asking me if I needed it. I complained, they credited my account, and let me keep the cable.

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

That is sly advertising, what if this was your life insurance policy instead. :rolleyes:

If you have a store and are publishing the information on paper or web, double if not triple check the information before publishing it. ;) :)

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If you placed the order and got an e-mail confirmation and they hit your CC for the $, they need to give you the item at that price.

What they did was fraud and is illegal. If you don't get satisfaction, let the FTC know what happened.

11. Gatorman macrumors regular

I actually had a great experience with MacMall recently. I bought a new Olympus D-590 from them at a discounted price, with a free 128 MB card. Granted, I paid for free ground shipping, but still, everything came faster than I expected and is holding up great. I was pretty ticked, however, when I found the camera at Sam's-Club for cheaper...but when I did the math, it actually balances out.

Anyhow, I can understand why'd you be angry. Waiting that long for something like that is rediculous. I guess it depends on what you deal with.

12. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

at what point did cdw buy macmall? was it before "the os eight days" or after? just curious as that might make some difference.

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It was definitely after the OS 8 days.

14. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

I had some bad experiences with MacMall involving RAM. I resolved never to buy from them again, and it's been years. I'm very happy with either OWC (esp for RAM or upgrades) or Outpost.com. I've even had some good buys at bargain retailer Buy.com, where I recently got a 17" LCD display for $250 for my Cube.

15. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

how do i contact the ftc?

16. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

ok so i recieved my my product today about 10 minutes ago. but it was open so now i am about to go another round of calling macmall.
    :( :mad: :(

17. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I Agree

I had a horrible experience with MacMall right around Christmas. I bought a G52.5 and a 30" ACD on 12/23. I was hoping to get it for Christmas, but what I really needed was to get it by the end of the year for tax purposes. When I called to order it, my first question was "are they in stock for immediate shipment." The answer was an emphatic "Yes, we have plenty of them." I repeated this question all during the ordering process.

After hanging up, I went to be confident that the order would ship that night or the next day. Certainly in plenty of time to receive it by the end of the year.

The next morning I checked their web site for my order status and it said "Backordered." So I called to find out what was going on.

I spent 90 minutes on the phone being passed around like a crack pipe. The associate who sold me my system was not at his desk, so I had to put myself in the general queue to speak with the next available sales rep. Each time I reached someone and explained that the rep I ordered from was not at his desk and I just wanted to confirm my order status and get clarity on when the backordered item would ship, the rep either dumped me back into the general queue or into my original rep's voice mail, all without any warning. It seemed to me that as soon as the customer service rep realized that I wasn't a new sale, they didn't want to waste any time on my call.

I played this game through five or six cycles, each time spending 15-20 minutes in phone jail until I finally got someone to pass me off to a manager.

I explained to the manager that I was frustrated and felt like canceling my $7,000 order because the rep told me the system was in stock and I couldn't get someone to spend a few moments to provide clarity on when the system would ship so that I would know if I was going to receive it by the end of the year or not. This very abrupt, rude manager didn't reply as I expected with "Certainly, let me check and see when you should have your system..." or something like that. Instead, he just replied "OK, I've just canceled your order for you." Just like that.

I immediately called MacZone. Confirmed that the G5 and 30" ACD were in stock and ordered them. They were in stock and shipped promptly.

I've sworn off of MacMall. Not because of a simple case of something turning out to be unavailable. That's life. I can deal with that. They provided such a horrible customer experience overall that I won't do business with them any more.

Just my $0.02. Thanks for letting me rant. I'm better now. :)

18. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

macmall has the worst cutomer service..... so now i am trying to get customer service but it goes into the general que. this sucks big ass. so now i am going to my creditcard company to dispute the charges. i dont tell them who i worked with becuase i hate getting put on hold. so hopefully everything will work out.

and please rant as much as you guys want

19. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

True, but I NEVER ever do business again with companies who are deceitful about shipping products, or say that they are in stock when they aren't.

It's just too much hassle to deal with these lies and the ensuing aggravation, so I don't mind paying a litle bit more for peace of mind. Besides, I'd rather give my hard earned dollars to honest companies anyhow.

20. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

so now the end of my complaint i have the card it looked new. none of the conecters looked used so now i am going to test it out. but they gave me an option to get a new card at 209.99. with free ship. i will tell them tommorrow if i take that deal. if any one has advice on what to do please tell me. i dont really want to go through the shipping hassle, but i want to piss them off. this trouble is not worth it. :(

21. Foucault macrumors 6502

Foucault

I actually used to work for MacMall back when OS X first came out. And let me tell you something, it was one of the most stressful working environment I've ever been in. First MacMall is really a reseller, they don't have inventory in their premises. They work with 3 to 5 different vendors and warehouses throughout the country. MacMall doesn't actually ship the actual product, they have a computer system that links to them to these inventory warehouses throughout the country, so once an order is placed they might see the item as available at a particular warehouse, so they proceed with the order. But every once in a while a warehouse might get a spike of that order, especially if the price is great. So sometimes there are too many orders and not enough inventory, which leads to the consumer not getting their product on time. This happened to me a lot when I used to work there, and it was really frustrating. The only thing that we can really do was apologize for it, discount the shipping, and cross our fingers that more items would come up through the channels. I'm sorry for your bad experience, but as someone coming from the other side of the fence, it is not an uncommon thing...

Good luck!!!

22. Maestro64 macrumors regular

Maestro64

My advice is this, when you talk to someone, do not tell them your problem but simply tell them what you want them to do. Like do not put me on hold, I need to to check my order status. When you take command of the situation usually you get what you want.

Since you got your video card, and I think for the price they originally stated. This might not be much use now, but good to know for the future. When things like this happen where they are trying to pull a fast one, you need to understand your rights. I agree with the person who said when they realized they had a pricing screw up they probably held off on shipping the product in hopes you would cancel your order.

However, they have to honor the advertised price no mater what, this is consumer law. They might have have something on their website about misprints, but they does not apply to the price, since this is usually pulled from a database somewhere not actually typed on the website. Also, those statements usually apply to print media where someone else is actually doing the printing and company can not be held responsible for the printing companies mistake. But that does not hold up anymore.

If you get into a situation like this, the best thing to do is, get hold of a manager, explain what they are doing is illegal and they are required to honor the sale. If they do not you will fill a complaint, with the FTC, BBB, consumer action groups, and your credit card company. They know if you file a complaint with you credit card company they will not get paid at all. 90% of the time CC usually take the side of the consumer.

Best of luck