MacMall wants me to return my copy of Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mixyourmovie, Apr 26, 2005.

1. mixyourmovie macrumors newbie

I received my copy of Tiger from MacMall almost a week ago. It seemed a little wierd that it got here so early, but I didn't think much of it... Today MacMall calls me and says that I have to return it and they will ship out a new "authorized" copy on the 29th. Anyone else have this happen?

2. papplegate macrumors member

Nope but I found a link that I read about. If you get something in the mail that did not expect, you do not have to return it. They are just trying to scare you.

http://straylight.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode39/usc_sec_39_00003009----000-.html

TITLE 39 > PART IV > CHAPTER 30 > § 3009 Prev | Next
    § 3009. Mailing of unordered merchandise

Release date: 2004-12-07
    (a) Except for
    (1) free samples clearly and conspicuously marked as such, and
    (2) merchandise mailed by a charitable organization soliciting contributions, the mailing of un ordered merchandise or of communications prohibited by subsection (c) of this section constitutes an unfair method of competition and an unfair trade practice in violation of section 45 (a)(1) of title 15.
    (b) Any merchandise mailed in violation of subsection (a) of this section, or within the exceptions contained therein, may be treated as a gift by the recipient, who shall have the right to retain, use, discard, or dispose of it in any manner he sees fit without any obligation whatsoever to the sender. All such merchandise shall have attached to it a clear and conspicuous statement informing the recipient that he may treat the merchandise as a gift to him and has the right to retain, use, discard, or dispose of it in any manner he sees fit without any obligation whatsoever to the sender.
    (c) No mailer of any merchandise mailed in violation of subsection (a) of this section, or within the exceptions contained therein, shall mail to any recipient of such merchandise a bill for such merchandise or any dunning communications.
    (d) For the purposes of this section, “un ordered merchandise” means merchandise mailed without the prior expressed request or consent of the recipient.

Edit: I am not a lawyer, so don't take this as legal advice :)

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

Is there any reason to believe that it isn't the complete release version, or that it can't be updated? If not, I'd hold on to it. At the very least, make sure they send you the "authorized" version before you send anything back to them, and make sure they pick up any shipping costs. And maybe throw in something like iLife for your troubles (you have to reinstall your system software and all ;) ).

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Tell them to stuff it in their pipe.

You actually think they have a different build version that they shipped out?

I really dislike MacMall. A lot.

You ordered a product, it works, you paid for it. It's yours.

5. shuurajou macrumors regular

Don't think about returning it for a second, install that bad boy!

6. benpatient macrumors 68000

7. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

What ^^he^^ said. That's ridiculous. Besides, I read a thread saying Apple had decided to support the premature Tiger shipments.

8. papplegate macrumors member

I just read this at macbidouille.com, http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2005-04-25#3948.

Apple will support you, so don't give it back.
    "On saturday, we would let you know that some clients had received Tiger a week in advance due to a mistake from Apple. If Apple had refused to give them any help or support at first, things changed for those clients as this internal message sent to Apple Care agents would show it:

Some customers are receiving Mac OS X v10.4 "Tiger" before the scheduled launch date of April 29. Until April 29, please support these customers as follows:

* Do NOT deny support or accuse the customer of piracy. The customers may have legitimately purchased the product and be eligible for support.

* Tier 1: Escalate Tiger calls to Tier 2. Tier 2 must take the escalation.

* Tier 2 and Mac Genius: Support the customer as usual. Try to capture as much information as possible about how and where the customer purchased Tiger. After you are done supporting the customer, escalate this information via an "FYI" RTA.

After the April 29 software launch, you no longer a need to escalate these cases in order to capture this information.

Congratulation to Apple for turning their back on their first, inappropriate reaction to Tiger surprise arrrival."

9. mkubal macrumors 6502a

An authorized version? As if MacMall won't ship the one you return right to someone else if it's packaging hasn't been opened. Yeah ok MacMall. :rolleyes:

10. mac-er macrumors 65816

I don't think this law applies.

Hince, the word unordered in the law.

However, you have no obligation to return it. It is their mistake; and you had no knowledge of the mistake. They will try to scare you, but they really cannot do anything else.

Basically, MacMall is scared. Apple could revoke their reseller status for distributing before the release date. (The same thing can happen to stores who sell DVDs, CDs, books, video games before the release date).

11. papplegate macrumors member

Ah, good point.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ha, its their fault and they want you to clean up their mess, forget them...

13. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

if it's already on your computer, who cares just return it not like you actually need the disk right now, but they are just trying to scare everyone. i mean how does apple know which batches were sent out early and they are going to deny updates online? i don't think they would go to that amount of trouble, would be a waste of money.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Tell them you'll do it next week, that you've already installed it and are too busy the rest of the week to wait around all day for a mail truck to show up. ;)

That you'd be happy to run down to the UPS store or Kinkos to ship it back, but your car is in the shop... etc.

15. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

has your credit card or other form of payment been charged, if so, you bought it, its yours, (unless there is a defect....)

16. mac-er macrumors 65816

AppleInsider is reporting that:

1. Apple is attempting to "invalidate" copies of the OS that were sent out early. Not sure what that really means.

2. People who send it back will get a free copy of iWork.

17. pncc macrumors regular

Where is that BS meter I saw posted last week? Edesignuk, where are you?

18. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Hey if its installed just do a clean reinstall of Panther, send Tiger back, wait for the new box and do another clean install of Tiger. Whats the problem?

Just ignore them.

It's yours.

19. mixyourmovie thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is the response I received from MacMall:

"If you have not installed it, please wait til Friday to do so. If you have installed, you may need to reinstall it on or after the 29th."

Why the hell would I need to reinstall it?

20. iGary Guest

iGary

They are covering their back ends because Apple is busy chewing on theirs for effing up.

Again, ignore them, tell them to stuff it in their pipe or whatever you feel like saying at the moment.

"Uninstall it and install it after the 29th."

Give.Me.A.Break. :rolleyes:

21. emw macrumors G4

emw

HAHAHAHA!

Morons. :rolleyes:

22. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

How can Apple "invalidate" a copy of Mac OS X.4? Its not like you have to activate the OS before usage, unlike Windoze. I don't see how they can do that. Doesn't make any sense to me....

Christ you can go to Acquisition and download a pirated copy by now and use it freely and there's nothing Apple can do that stop the OS from working. (Not that I recommend you do that...I was just making a point here).