MacMame on an ibook 1.42 Ghz

Discussion in 'Games' started by davidgilmour, Aug 24, 2005.

1. davidgilmour macrumors member

Hi,

I wanna buy a 1.42 ibook. Does Mame ( neomame and cpsmame ) run 100% on the ibook? without frameskip and vertical sync on. Which type of games play 100% (i.e. 8 bit like pacman, arkanoid, tetris ) and which games do not play that well ( 32 bit narc, mortal kombat ? )

I love arcade games from 1986-1992 up to the CPS2 games. And some recent shooters like dondonpachi.

Any help is *REALLY* appreciated !!

2. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Runs fine on G4 400mhz PM, granted 32bit games are slightly sluggish but still playable, now Halo thats another story ;)

3. davidgilmour thread starter macrumors member

should I buy a powerbook or ibook?
    i wanna play MACMAME, use the iwifi nternet, watch dvd's and use it as a bckupdrive for my videos/photos. thats all.

I like the look of the powerbook a lot! the ibook feels cheapish.

help me.

4. applekid macrumors 68020

Which can you afford?

5. davidgilmour thread starter macrumors member

which is the best value for money ? :D

6. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

For your uses (granted I don't know specifically about Mame), I would say the PowerBook is not at all worth the extra money.

If the iBook can handle Mame there would be no reason, beyond the aesthetics, for you to buy a PBook.

I had the same reservations about the iBook feeling cheap at first, but now love the way it feels (the keyboard and trackpad buttons are very crisp).

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

if you can; wait till the Mactels. there should be some mighty power boosts there. on both the iBook and PowerBook. or if you wanted a G4 then you could pick up a cheap one from an Apple store getting rid of stock, or off eBay.

tis an extreme option though.

8. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Maybe it's just me, but I think the x86 port of MAME is much faster than the PPC port.

Also regarding MAME, what games will you be playing? Or more specifically, from what year? I've noticed that almost all the 80s games will run full speed, but the 90s games can slow down ...

9. davidgilmour thread starter macrumors member

Alright, I am going to play all the SNK games on NeoMame and the oldies from Capcom and Segsa ( shinobi, ghouls n ghosts, strider, Arkanoid, outrun, sf2 ).
    So mostly the 1986-1990 period but I heard that the specific Neomame works nice too, that is the neogeo mame version.

10. davidgilmour thread starter macrumors member

but those don't arrive untile october 2006 ?

11. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I've played most of those on my G3 iBook and they ran okay. A 1.4Ghz iBook should run them just fine.