MacMice Bluetooth vs. Apple Bluetooth Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PaRaGoNViCtiM, Jul 17, 2005.

1. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone, I'm torn between getting an Apple Bluetooth Mouse, or getting a Bluetooth MacMice. The awesome points about the MacMice is that it has a scroll wheel, a right click button, and it's aluminum to match my 15" Powerbook. However, I do not do any gaming, and don't really know if I have a need for the scroll wheel and right click button. Now, this might sound kind of lame, but the only thing that is making me want the Apple Mouse is that it's just that..Apple. I really like the Apple logo on the mouse. Also, I have a "Double Click" store right next to me, and they sell both the Apple and the MacMice. Any advice will be appreciated.

2. JES macrumors member

If you have no specialized uses, then it doesn't matter. I *like* the one-button mouse. I find I fidget too much with a scroll wheel and at one point even taped it over on an old mouse. I'm happy using ctrl on my keyboard to "right click." As long as you're just word processing, websurfing, etc., and have two hands available to type, one button should be fine.

--JES

3. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Have a PB 15" and didn't get the MacMice Mouse BT because of its "notch-free" scroll wheel. I didn't like the sound of that. Also, I heard battery life wasn't great, and I really wanted a right mouse button (for convenience not for gaming.) I ended up with one of these.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, I HATE scroll wheels without notches. And FYI, the MacMice are actually cheap feeling, and the aluminum is actually just cheap plastic. It feels nowhere near as good as Apple's mouse. They do work fairly well though. I wouldn't buy one personally, but YMMV.

5. PaRaGoNViCtiM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your input guys...I went with the Apple Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard.

6. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Do yourself a favour and get the Logitech MX1000.

Unless you want to you the mouse wirelessly on the go. The MX1000 is wireless, but it has a base station so you are limited in that way. Aside from that it kills the Apple mouse, and I've heard the macmice mouse is inferior to the Apple mouse. Your scroll wheel has to click, or what's the point.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I got the macally BT Mouse Jr. at MWB, and it seems solidly built. I just wish it had an on/off button :(

8. PaRaGoNViCtiM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does the Apple Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard have an on/off switch?? I have a Bluetooth M/K on it's way to me, it should be here tomorrow or Thursday. I also need a stand for my PB, and I was leaning towards an iCurve, are they the best stands?

9. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Yes, the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse both have on/off switches.

The nice thing about the iCurve is how it positions the laptop on your desk so it's about even with your monitor (if you're screen-spanning). Otherwise the iCurve is sort of pretty, but a stand is a stand.

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

A comment on the MX1000...

I've been using it for the past three months. It's an awesome mouse, yes. Best wireless response and all-around hardcore mouse ever. But first, the default drivers in 10.4.2 borked the MX1000, making buttons do things I don't want them to do, and having no way of disabling them. And sadly, the Logitech drivers blows chunks in my opinion. It actually slows down the response to the buttons I use for expose and dashboard. With the Tiger drivers, they work instantly, but under Logitech's drivers, there's a noticeable delay before Dashboard comes up. And the scrolling and side-scrolling is horrible with Logitech's drivers. Done beautifully with Tiger's.

All those are software issues that can be fixed or worked around. Now the hardware side, after using it constantly for three months, I noticed my wrist started to hurt after a day's use. The mouse, simply put, is too heavy. The mouse is designed for hardcore gaming, where you mold your hand to the mouse and use all the buttons. But for relaxing use, where you sort of move the mouse with your fingers, not your whole hand, it's really bad. Recently, the battery died (I neglected to put it in the cradle for too long), and had to switch to my Apple mouse for a bit. And WOW! I'm surprised at how comfortable and easy it is on my hand and wrist.

So needless to say, I decided to give up the MX1000 and get a lighter mouse, maybe an Apple wireless mouse, or the MX510. I don't want no carpal tunnel, thank you.