MacMice "The Mouse"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thunderclap, Aug 20, 2005.

1. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I have one. Strange thing is that ever since Apple released "Mighty Mouse" my mouse has been acting extremely quirky. (It may have also been the new security update as I installed it around the same time.) It is MUCH more sensative. Sometimes it registers a mouse-click as a double mouse-click causing programs to execute or folders to open. Other times when I'm moving the mouse it will jump from one side of the screen to the other.

It is possible it's a coincidence (though I don't believe in coincidences). Am I the only one having this problem? If not, how can the problem be resolved?

I've tried MacMice's mouse driver and I'ver also tried USB Overdrive to no effect. I've repaired permissions too.

2. fitinferno macrumors 6502

Have you checked the mouse preferences in the system finder to see if changing that at all will do the trick?

3. Preacher85 macrumors member

Preacher85

I have the bluetooth version of the same mouse, and have had those same problems from day one a year ago. As soon at the Mighty Mouse goes bluetooth, I'm going with that.

4. fitinferno macrumors 6502

Mighty Mouse going bt...*drool*

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I've never had any problems with mine, but then again, it hasn't been plugged in for a while

6. besler3035 macrumors 6502

Funny, I just started having the same problems as well.

7. SneekyCheef macrumors newbie

SAME HERE!!! I'm Returning it.

I have been having the same crap happen. Its when you click and drag. It will jump around and start highlighting stuff. I tested in different mouse pads, the table, e.t.c.

I know it is the MM because i have a BT mouse and tested them side by side and the BT works fine. It has become almost unusable.

:mad:

8. clcnyc macrumors regular

clcnyc

THE MOUSE SUCKS

It's not Apple. I had "The Mouse" for almost a year, and the only reason I held on to it was because I knew Apple would be releasing their own version, and now I have it! I had the same problems with The Mouse from day one, replaced it with another, and still had problems (always double clicking, way too sensitive, unable to drag ANYTHING). Go get Mighty Mouse! It's so nice to be able to drag and drop again!

;) ;)

9. thunderclap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I've tried that but to no avail. It may be a gliche in the mouse but, again, I find it strange it appeared immediately after the release of Mighty Mouse (and the security update).

10. thunderclap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

Any word on when this will happen?

11. thunderclap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I've done a little bit more experimentation and have discovered it's not just The Mouse USB. I hooked up the original single-button mouse that shipped with my G5 and the same quirky behavior exists. I tried connecting the mouse to a different USB port and that didn't help.

Whatever the problem I'm now convinced it is an Apple driver problem. Something happened with one of their updates which has caused my computer not to register mouse movements accurately. Unfortunately the daily, weekly and monthly maintenance didn't solve the problem nor did repairing permissions.

Anyone else have an idea?

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Have you even considered that maybe it's the surface of your table or whatever you're using your mouse on?

13. thunderclap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

It started happening on a surface it never had a problem with before. I first tried a mouse pad to see if that would work. Nada. Then I moved and got a new desk. Brand new surface, no blemishes or anything. Still nothing. I doubt it's a surface issue.

14. Lloyd1994 macrumors member

DVForge knows there is a problem with TheMouseBT

Mine is completely unusable. Still need to take it back though. Lazy me.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Worse than knowing something is wrong, they are probably in bankruptcy right now.

http://jackwhispers.blogspot.com/

Read that and see if they are a viable alternative right now.

Edit: Jack denies bankruptcy plans .... no telling what is happening, and a lot more fun in the Jack vs. Phil saga -- but it does seem these companies may be going out of business.

16. OCOTILLO macrumors regular

Mac Mice BT - Looked Good - Worked Bad

I read their website and thought "That looks good, I think I will buy it." What a waste of money, I used it for a couple of hours and had to quit. It now resides in my closet with all those other items which caught my attention in a weak moment. It didn't compare to the Mighty Mouse which I really like.

17. thunderclap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I just ordered the Mighty Mouse. It's $50 I really don't have the money for but editing has become unbearable with the pointer wigging out every few minutes.

18. besler3035 macrumors 6502

Good call.

19. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Bankrupt or not, they certainly have closed down their products business.

20. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

About time! Those guys are borderline scam artists, and I've known it for years.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say!

21. thunderclap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

Still doesn't explain why my original mouse (the one that came with the G5) is doing the same thing. Luckily it's not as often so I'm not pulling hair out but still...

22. rtjstevens macrumors regular

Irregular pointer movements etc

I have a brand new iMac and experienced the same problem with the Apple mouse and a Microsoft one. The cause was me leaning on my elbow which was just touching the side of the space bar on the keyboard. The fix was simple!

Try it ...

BW

RTJ

23. besler3035 macrumors 6502

Fixed!!!

For all of you on laptops, I figured out that if you turn off the check box in mouse preferences that enables the trackpad to click, the MacMice mouse suddenly works normal again!

YAY!

Edit: Well, after a little while of working, the problem is back. Even after reinstalling 10.4. It's not the security update either, because I didn't update my system right away. It's definitely the mouse.

24. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Now that DVForge's closing is official... with no solution to the problem- Does anyone know of a good reliable Bluetooth mouse for the Mac?

25. fitinferno macrumors 6502

I guess get in the queue for the mighty mouse to go BT? The simple Apple BT mouse is reliable and gets a long battery life...but if you really want a good BT mouse, Logitech is probably the best, imo.