Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Sorry if I'm duplicating someone else's thread here, but i haven't been able to find one.

For some reason, since installing Boot Camp, every time I boot or restart my Macmini, unless I hold down alt it boots into Windows. Is there any way to stop this (and to make holding down the alt key a toggle between Mac OS and Windows)?

TexBiker

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2006
Dunepilot said:
Sorry if I'm duplicating someone else's thread here, but i haven't been able to find one.

For some reason, since installing Boot Camp, every time I boot or restart my Macmini, unless I hold down alt it boots into Windows. Is there any way to stop this (and to make holding down the alt key a toggle between Mac OS and Windows)?
That's built-in to BootCamp. Windows becomes the default OS due to the methods that must be used to install the software.

You can go into OS X and change the default if you wish.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
It is in the boot camp instructions. Go to the startup disk control panel in either Windows or OS X and select your Mac partition.

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
actually on my imac setting the startup disk under the XP control panel doesn't do a damn (aka Beta software).. however doing the same in OS X works like a charm..
just that you warned.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2002
UK
I just tried this when I went home during my lunch hour, and nothing shows up under Startup Disk. It's just a grey dialogue box.

Does anyone have any idea why I'd have a completely blank System Pref control panel?

I guess I should repair permissions, but is this normal?

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
you are saying even though during boot time, pressing ,Alt>, you get the choice, the OSX Startup Disk Pref Panel doesn't give you anything?

In that case something is wrong. Try repairing permission but I doubt this will help as it is not fixing boot information..

2nd question: are you using an administrative account when using macosx? if not, try to do so..

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2002
UK
mmulin said:
you are saying even though during boot time, pressing ,Alt>, you get the choice, the OSX Startup Disk Pref Panel doesn't give you anything?

In that case something is wrong. Try repairing permission but I doubt this will help as it is not fixing boot information..

2nd question: are you using an administrative account when using macosx? if not, try to do so..

Yes, that's right. Alt at boot gives the choice, Startup Disk pref doesn't. Will investigate this more tonight

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
this is why i prefer the vista install method, unless you hold alt and select windows you wouldent know windows was their, (i hide the windows partition on my desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.