MacMini boots windows by default now

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dunepilot, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Sorry if I'm duplicating someone else's thread here, but i haven't been able to find one.

For some reason, since installing Boot Camp, every time I boot or restart my Macmini, unless I hold down alt it boots into Windows. Is there any way to stop this (and to make holding down the alt key a toggle between Mac OS and Windows)?

2. TexBiker macrumors newbie

That's built-in to BootCamp. Windows becomes the default OS due to the methods that must be used to install the software.

You can go into OS X and change the default if you wish.

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

It is in the boot camp instructions. Go to the startup disk control panel in either Windows or OS X and select your Mac partition.

4. Dunepilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Oh cool, thanks very much.

Don't know why I didn't think to try that.

5. mmulin macrumors 6502

actually on my imac setting the startup disk under the XP control panel doesn't do a damn (aka Beta software).. however doing the same in OS X works like a charm..
    just that you warned.

6. Dunepilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

I just tried this when I went home during my lunch hour, and nothing shows up under Startup Disk. It's just a grey dialogue box.

Does anyone have any idea why I'd have a completely blank System Pref control panel?

I guess I should repair permissions, but is this normal?

7. mmulin macrumors 6502

you are saying even though during boot time, pressing ,Alt>, you get the choice, the OSX Startup Disk Pref Panel doesn't give you anything?

In that case something is wrong. Try repairing permission but I doubt this will help as it is not fixing boot information..

2nd question: are you using an administrative account when using macosx? if not, try to do so..

8. Dunepilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Yes, that's right. Alt at boot gives the choice, Startup Disk pref doesn't. Will investigate this more tonight

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

this is why i prefer the vista install method, unless you hold alt and select windows you wouldent know windows was their, (i hide the windows partition on my desktop.