MacMini jerky screen in Classic

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Andy G, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Andy G macrumors member

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a 1995 version of IndyCar II (yes, I know it is now 2005!) which my kids and I still love playing, until recently on a Beige G3 233 which ran perfectly.

The G3 died last month and we got a MacMini 1.42 with 512mb ram. When trying to play IndyCar now in Classic mode on the Mini the graphics are really jerky. I would have thought the MacMini would be at least equivalent in capability to the G3 which is 7 years older.

The jerky screen also happens in some of the other os9 versions of games too.

Can anyone advise if there is a setting I have missed, or at least point me in the right direction? (I have tried setting the screen resolution at 256 but still jerky)

Big thanks,

Andy G

2. dr bognus macrumors newbie

In my opinion i would give up on classic unless you really need to use it. It does not seem able to run anything well...

Instead i would boot up in OS9 using startup disc preferences where OS9 should be able to take advantage of your computer without having OSX running at the same time slowing it down. Then the game should work.

Sorry if I have got any of this wrong. It is what i am used to doing with my old Ibook and from experience any games run in classic are slow, even the really old ones.

3. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

You can't "boot into OS 9" on a Mac Mini.

Only Macs built before January 2003 (??) will boot in both 9 and X.

4. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Just an idea, I don't know if it's in your budget, but you can buy old beige G3s on ebay for insanely low prices. $50 (including shipping) and you'll have a great OS 9 computer again.

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

You could even get a nice G3 Tower for not that much. Plus, if running OS X, it would be a useable computer.

6. Andy G thread starter macrumors member

All interesting ideas, although now that I have the MacMini, I'd rather try to get that functioning with the OS9 games, rather than having to share monitors or set up a parallel system.

Is this jerky graphics issue 'normal' (ie unplayable!) with any game use in Classic mode with the Mini, or are there any settings or patches which would help?

Your thoughts / ideas are welcomed . . .

Andy G

7. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

SAT Analogy

Classic : OS 9 :: Windows : OS X

Classic, works, kinda. :(
    Unfortunately dual booting is the only way to do it properly.

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

A lot of old CD-based games will run considerably better in Classic if you make disk images and run from those. No guarantees, but for some software it helps a lot.

9. Andy G thread starter macrumors member

Sounds interesting - how do I make a disk image?

Andy G

10. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

In Disk Utility.