has the specs

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by burger011, Aug 12, 2002.

1. burger011 macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2002
    They have a list of Apple's next Power Mac's. The fastest....1.25.

2. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Jan 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Re: has the specs

If that's true, i called it months ago. :D

I'll be opening my 900 psychic hotline soon after their release tomorrow. :)
  3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    Re: Re: has the specs

With 1.25GHz being the max, you might want to consider opening a Mac zealot suicide hotline as well. :)
  4. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Jan 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Re: Re: Re: has the specs

Nah. i got out of psych/couseling in 1997. :)
  5. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

Jan 27, 2002
    flooded severs

thats the most updates i've ever seen in one day on this site. granted, it's all relavent, but i can only get on to a few of them.:mad: i hope these final predictions prove true, especially the part about the shipping:)
  6. Mr Jobs macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2002
    London, England
    1.25, that sees about right, never know might even be a quad
  7. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2002
    New York
  8. eirik macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2002
    Leesburg, VA
    dual CPU's across the PM line

While I am thrilled at this prospect of dualies across the PowerMac line, the pricing that is publishing intriques me a bit.

The low end is $100 more than today's low end. The mid-one is $200 more than today's mid-one. The high-end (not the "ultimate") is $300 more. And finally, today's high-end (dual 1 GHz) is $500 more than's specs for "tomorrow's" dual 1 GHz machine.

How much does Motorola charge Apple for their CPU's? You can see that if the CPU cost to Apple is greater than these relative price increases then Apple is reducing its profit margins in the PowerMac line to increase volume.

If we only get modest improvements in bus and memory speed (including the controller, aka Xserve), then tomorrow's announcement per macminute would mean that we could get a dual 1 GHz for $500 less than today. While macminute's report does not impress us with blazing CPU performance upgrades, it does offer us significant performance per dollar increases.

On another note, dualies across the PM line implies that there is significant relief at the main memory to front side bus to CPU's bottleneck that the current PowerMac line, particularly today's dual 1 GHz as well as the Xserve, suffer from today. Today's dual 1 GHz processors can crunch a theoretical maximum of 3 GB/s without AltiVec while the bottleneck only permits a theoretical maximum of 1.05 GB/s. To position the entire product line as dualies without a major improvement in that bottleneck would be astonishingly absurd and would NOT go unnoticed. It would be emphatically noted in the periodicals/websites!!!

Another point about dualies across the board, like it or not, M$ Office is crucial to Apple credibility and repute. Thus, it might be well worth throwing some dollars at M$ to get them to significantly increase the "multi-threadedness" of its suite so that the dualies can show off some performance increases with M$ applications

. I'm quite serious about this point! Offering M$ $25 MM, for example, to hire and employ a cadre of programmers to re-write major chunks of M$ Office code to be radically more multi-threaded as well as lever AltiVec, would yield major performance enhancements and give Apple something to bitch about to the anti-trust folk should M$ refuse.

Naturally, I'd think of ways to minimize the likelihood of M$ using the same code on its WinDon't platforms. BTW, with Intel and AMD yielding little in the way of major power reduction in their CPU's, I don't expect we'll see a major shift in WinDon't boxes to dual CPU configurations.

Blah, blah, blah. Enough for now.
  9. Olorin macrumors newbie

Aug 12, 2002
    Middle Earth
    The future

I sincerely hope that these specs are wrong if the best apple can give us is 1.25ghz they need to start thinking about selling off some of that stock because it is going to drop...big time. sorry but it's true apple's got to ketch up to intel and soon or they will never get that extra 5%.