Macmosx 10.2 and mac os 9.2

Discussion in 'macOS' started by madmax_2069, Sep 23, 2005.

1. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

ok i getting my 80 gig hdd this week and putting it in my beige G3 i know i need to partition the first partition at 7.4 gig that is where the mac osx 10.2 will go and the other partition is the rest of the hdd size and im going to put mac os 9.2.2 in the 2nd partition

ok not how should i go about partitioning the drive do i do it in the mac os 10.2 installer or somthing else. should i install mac os 9.2.2 first on partition 2 first or install mac os 10.2 first on the first partition. do i even got the size right for the first partition and will i be able to boot them up properly whan i choose what hdd to boot.i want to be able to still use mac os 9.2.2 from the 2nd partition and boot mac os 10.2 from the first i know i will need to restart to switch but it dont bother me im going to name the first partition osx and the second partition os9.

the only reason i want os 9.2.2 still cause i got some software that wont run on osx and for other reasons

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why are you bothering with this? There is no need to partition anything.

3. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

with a beige yea you do if your installing osx 10-10.4 on a hdd over 8 gig.i dunno why its that way but if you put a hdd bigger than 8gig in a beige G3 and try to install osx 10-10.4 the hhd needs to be partitioned 8gig's or less and install mac osx 10-10.4 on the first partition look HERE scroll down till you see Mac OS X and read what it says all i was asking was for some help that the page dont explain

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

A word of caution: I notice that your link makes no mention of HFS+. I haven't bothered to install MacOS X on my beige G3 so that I cannot comment from first-hand experience on installing MacOS X on this machine. However, it shipped with HFS. I believe that this must statement applies to to this file system, but not to HFS+. Since you are going to have to wipe your hard drive if you partition it, it might be a really good idea to convert it to HFS+ first. Then optimize the disk because it will be really fragmented. Then install MacOS X over MacOS 9.2 on the unpartitioned disk. If this does not work, then you reserve the option of partitioning the disk.

5. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

thanks for the info yea partitioning the drive for a osx instalation on a beige G3 is a requiremwnt of sorts.

6. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

i hope osx 10.2 will install on the test mac i hope it will work out installing it. the test mac is the same as the one in my sig but only has 128mb ram 4gig hdd same cpu and 2mb vram i just got my mac osx install cd's in today so im testing it out on the test mac. i am doing a erase and install and i made shure its in hfs+ format now should it ask for the second install disk .can any one give me any more info

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Partition the hard drive in at least two. 1st partition: 7.4 GB. Why 7.4 GB and not 8GB? Because we are talking about 8 GiB which is ~7.4GB. Very important.

Note that you don't need "just" two partitions. You can have as many as you want, but OS X must be within the first 7.4 GB. So that way you can have a 7.4 GB for OS X, a 5 GB partition for 9.2.2, and the rest for shared data.

Install OS 9.2.2 first onto the 5 GB partition. Update your computer's firmware if needed. This is also very important so your computer doesn't become a giant brick.

Install OS X onto the 7.4 GB partition.

And done! You can use Disk Utility in the OS X Installer CD for the partitioning and formatting, but then not install until later. And if you partition, you destroy all data, so you don't have to 'optimize' or whatever.

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yes, but...

Yes, you can run disk utility from the Mac OSX install CD to partition the drive, then install OSX and then put 9.2 when you are done.

And seriously...please consider buying a grammar type program for your computer. Your posts are nearly impossible to understand without multiple tries.

9. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

huh i just tryed to install the 10.2 on the test mac it will run the installer and install. it dont ask for the second disk or is that only for sertin installs on diffrent mac's.i got the white disk's with the jaguar colord X cd one and cd 2 full install.ok it takes about 45 min-1 hour and 30 min to install then it restarts i take the cd out then the happy mac face apper's then it resets it's self and it will keep on reseting its self till i turn off the main kill switch. and when i turn it back on a white screen pops up and the words can't open write across the screen then it goes to the happy mac face then it restarts it self and will keep on doing that till i turn it off. ok here is what these macs have in them they both have the a/v personality card, no zip drive , pci 10/100 base t nic card i also tryed to install 10.2 in the test mac with the pci nic card taken out
    and still the same thing. i was reading a few places that the open firmware v 2.0f1 is hard to get it to boot any thing. i dont even know where or what i would need to upgrade to get 10.2 to boot and run i read alot of people installing it on there beige G3 ALL-IN-ONE and didnt have any problems. is there any thing on the logic board i need to set or change. i dont need the scsi firmware update cause i dont have the card.would it be the a/v personality card. i can install os 9.2 just fine and run it just fine on the test mac could there be somthing wrong like the pram battery going dead or already dead thats causing 10.2 not to boot or install right.i was reading on a few forums that mac os 9.2.2 can run with a dead pram battery but 10.2 dont like the dead battery or just wont boot up.

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You shouldn't be getting a happy mac if you are starting into 10.2-- they got rid of the Happy Mac there.

Hold the Option key down while starting up to choose your startup volume. And did you install OS X in the first 7.4 GB or in the first 8GB? Remember what I posted above, 7.4GB DOES NOT EQUAL 8GB. 7.4GB=8GiB and people seem to have gotten weird with that. :confused: But it is very, very, very important.

11. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

the open firmware v 2.0F1 thats in this system dont support the chooser by holding the option button i can download the patch that will make it to have that feature so i can choose the startup volume. i havent even recieved the 80gig (its taking forever) in the mail yet still working on the 4 gig.hey can the pram battery cause problems like this if its going dead or all the way dead cause i was reading os 9.2.2 will boot even tho the battery is going dead or all the way dead but osx wont boot or do i need a open firmware update or some kind of update i dont have any scsi pci cards no zip drive it has the optional a/v personality card i wonder what could be causing all these problems cause 10.2 was the last os that officaly supported the beige G3 and should it work am i missing somthing here in fine print

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You need the Open Firmware update. That's what I mentioned above in the "Before you install OS X, upgrade your firmware" or something like that.

And just for the sake of my eyes, can you try to make some more coherent sentences and paragraphs? Thanks!

13. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

hell i dont even know where to find the open firmware updates at .I thought i found one but it was for unix or linix. yea i know osx is unix so would it work all it was is a patch the name war system disk 2.3.1 but i dont know if that is what i need.

this mac dont have a pci scsi card to upgrade the firmware on and that is all i can find on apples site.and that is all the firmware updates that i can find is for the card that i dont have. plz can someone point me in to the place where i can update the open firmware. the open firmware in this is V 2.0F1 does it need to be upgraded if at all possable.it also has the rom version $77D.45F1

what am i doing wrong??? i am going from 9.2.2 to mac osx 10.2 was there firmware updates on the cheeta install cd's or what ever the first osx was called that i would need.
    cause all the firmware updates on the 10.2 install cd 1 dont have my mac in the folder it has nothing for power macintosh G3

i dont know why it wont install like it will on other beige G3's cause its the same logic board and 10.2 is the last officaly supported os for these systems
    is there a sertian way you have to install osx 10.2 on these power macintosh G3 ALL-IN-ONE. Like unhooking the enternal monitor and hooking an external monitor up or what. im just about to give up if i cant get it to install
    Thanks for trying to help but i just dont know it will ever work.

i know once i get the 80 gig hdd you have to partition the firt partition to 8gig and put osx and put osx on the first partition and have a 2nd partition at 5-10gig to have os 9.2.2 on it abd another partition for shared data. but if i cant get osx to install on my test mac with a 4gig hdd and i am having this much problems trying to boot i dont know if i want to try it with this mac AIO.

i tryed xpostfacto4 even to try to get it to boot and still the white screen with the can't open going across the screen and then goes to the happy mac face. and there isnt suppose to be a happy face when you install osx but its still there and once it goes to the happy mac face it will restart every time and will keep restarting till i turn it off.then i turn it back on and still the same white screen with the can't open and then the happy mac face then it goes into the restarting fits again

it will boot up the installer disk just fine and seems like it installs without a hitch but it dont ask for the second disk ive tryed the HFS + and unix file system and still the same results.

can it be cause of the a/v personality card if it is i dont have a standard personality card to switch it. the other mac has the same a/v card im just lost and i cant find any firmware updates any where other than on apples site but all that is for is a scsi pci card update Plz Plz can some one help me and point me in the proper direction if some one can help me im on yahoo and msn and try to talk threw it

14. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

**********UPDATE************
    i am now posting this on my beige G3 AIO running osx 10.2
    all it was is the jummper on the hdd set to the wrong place i had the jummper set for master aperently that was the wrong setting a guy said i had to have the right boot strap setting or whatever he called it but any way he asked me what the hdd name and model was i told him then he came back with a link showing me what he was talking about and it was so simple. my hdd is a ide with the 10 pin jummper setting i chose the single master drive setting witch called to have no jummper in the hdd. i notest that wile i was trying to install osx 10.2 with the other setting in the drive utility in the installer was listing the drives as follows the cd rom the disk in the cd rom then the hdd then the 2 partitions. i looked in the drive utility once i changed the setting the list changed the hdd was first then the 2 partitions then the cd rom then disk in the cd rom well it works and i am happy