MacOS X NO CD Patch for Starcraft?

Discussion in 'Games' started by MBHockey, Oct 4, 2003.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Is there a way to run Starcraft (go on battle.net) without using the CD. CD spin up times take some time on my PowerBook and i find it lagging the game for a few seconds. I have disabled the music in game, but i need the unit sounds and stuff so i left digital volume on.

So is there a 'crack' no run sc w/o the CD?

I tried using disk copy and then mounting the image, but the installer knows it is not being run off the CD.

2. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Disk Copy should work. What kind of image is it (should be locked DVD/CD Master with no encryption or compression)? If nothing else works, you can create a mount point that would normally be assigned to a CD at mount it there.

3. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I think Disk Copy doesn't work because it doesn't read the windows partition (this CD is a hybrid, installs on both mac and PC) of the CD, so it really isn't an exact copy of the disc, i guess that is how the installer knows i'm not running it off the actual CD. I'm trying to make a disc image of it from Toast, but i'm not sure how to go about it.

I didn't understand that last portion of your post, could you explain how to do that?

4. zach macrumors 65816

zach

Toast is the best way to go about it.

My friend was able to Toast it, and it works.

5. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah, i finally got it. I spent about 15 minutes searching Toast for the "save as disc image) option LOL, but i found it and it works perfectly.

Thanks again.

6. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

cd spin

I hate it when games require the cd to spin. I usually find a way to stick an image of it on my HD in this case. Other software can sometimes get a performance benefit from this method as well. Game developers just treat me like a pirate when I bring up the issue. :mad:

7. Shekky_ca macrumors newbie

well there are ways to get around not using a cd I've been doing it since I first got my old mac 5 years ago. For me I've been playing games that don't require disks because it sometimes slows my comp way down at a certain point in a some games.