MacOs X Panther keeps on freezing/crashing... 17" PB lid warped!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by diehldun, Jan 17, 2004.

1. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Nov 15, 2003
    After owning my gorgeous 17" PowerBook for a little over a month, some issues have begun to rise, which have not only caused some pain, but also concern.

Every time i try to log-off my account on Panther, it says that FileVault needs to recover unused disk-space. It becomes a 3 minute affair (I want to log-off quickly!) Is there anyway it can automatically do this function, or override it so that it doesn't ask me this everytime?

Because of the width of the 17" powerbook, there are two latches. and it seems as though only the right one (facing you) latches on, while the left on isn't. so, when closed, the right side of the lid is touching the base of the computer, while the left is dangling a good 2-3 mm above the computer. I am primarily concerned that it might permanently warp the lid (aluminum). is there any easy way to fix this? should i take it into Apple Store, or is it just a cosmetic issue?

Freezing/crashing of Panther-
    i thought Panther was going to be this crash-proof op. system, better than Windows. Wrong. My PB is crashing more than I ever had while owning my Dell PC for 7 years! Especially when I have either Safari open, or using AOL Instand Messenger. That's another issue. I always get disconnected from AIM when using my home wireless networking. For no apparent reason! (the signal bar is always 4 bars- 100%), and i can still use Safari when disconnected from AIM. Is this a bug issue with AIM?

Like the browser, but can't get into many websites because it's not Mac Compatable, i guess.

Is this just me? Maybe I am just being too picky.
  2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    I would definately take the computer into the apple store for the latch. That does not sound right at all. Someone else will have to help you with file vault. As far as AIM goes, I beleive that is a bug in the program. I too have the same problem, but when I use iChat, it never crashes. So you might switch to that program and set it up as an AIM account. Safari crashes on me about once a month or so, and I use it heavily. I don't have any problems accessing sites with it, but our surfing habits may differ. Have you tried accessing the same sites with Internet Explorer, or some other browser, that may help.
  3. thumper macrumors 6502

Oct 25, 2003
    Under the Sea
    i havent had any probs with my 17''pb, but if i were you id talk to apple, did you do a clean install of panther?