MacOSX utilities

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by grayman18a, Mar 27, 2002.

1. grayman18a macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2002
    I've run OSX for just under a year now and just recently gone OSX only!
    I have Norton Antivirus for X but have been using NUfor Mac in OS9 (I also use Xoptimize, iClean and MacJanitor - though use the last, less now, as I am hardly ever shutting down).
    With new versions of NU and NAV out soon I was wondering how necessary N/Utilities actually is for a healthy OSX Mac? Apparently Unix runs it's own maintenance daily, weekly, monthly and with X, disc fragmentation is minimal. Do I need another piece of expensive software or will Xoptomize, iClean and occasionally MacJanitor be sufficient?
  2. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
    Ditto that question...

I'm importing video all day. OS 9 used to need a good scrubbing every month or so. What about X?

What's a OS X user to do for utilities?
  3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    funny this came up today...

Last night I was bitching about how slow X seemed to be running and how nice it was to be back in 9. After talking about it to AlphaTech...I decided to run Norton SystemWorks on X (from the CD while under 9). I ran Disk Doctor & then Speed Disk on my X partition....took about an hour. DiskDoctor found a bunch of errors & was able to fix them all....Speed Disk was able to defragment it as well. When I started back up into X again...I could tell a huge difference!

Keep in mind this was Norton SystemWorks 1.0 I was using. I know Norton SystemWorks 2.0 is coming out soon enough (it runs native to X) and there's also Drive 10 which is also native to X.

I had pretty much written off any common procedures I normally go through with 9 since X is so different and I just didn't realize I could do the same thing with the same tools... :p
  4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Norton SystemWorks 2.0 is shipping (according to these people):

Finally...defragmenting Aqua-style with Norton!
  5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    cool... Maybe I will have the copy of NSW2 that I ordered earlier this month soon. I went direct so that I wouldn't have to deal with the pesky main in rebates to get the update price. I did that with the last versions I purchased and it is a lot easier. I already have NSW2002 for the peecee, but would like the new version for my Mac (TiBook) before it returns from repairs at Apple.
  6. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA
    got my hands on SW2.0

I got my hands on systemworks 2.0... I will run it and post my results.
  7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    i have NUM for OSX and there is no defrag util that I can find

course Its a 'barrowed' copy (from my dad's biz) though i paid 150% retail for 5.0.....

as to no use for NUM, i have huge uses for it. every time OS X crashes or shuts down incorrectly i get all sorts of btree corruption and it messes up the free block count. basically every time OS X goes down I need to check it. luckily no probs so far but what was found and fixed by NUM, but I'm reluctant to let it run for months before I back up stuff