macports versus fink

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shortbarney, Dec 28, 2006.

1. shortbarney macrumors newbie

I'm new to the OS X world and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get *nix software for my Mac. I started using Macports before I was aware of Fink, but before I download any more software I'd like some opinions on which one is better.

I'm aware that Macports compiles packages when you install them, while Fink offers precompiled binaries. I don't care whether I get my packages precompiled or not -- I'm looking for other reasons why I should use one over the other.

Anyone want to make a case for one or the other?

My inclination now is toward Fink, but only because I have more experience with Debian and apt, and my one attempt at Gentoo and emerge was a bit of a disaster.

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I used "Macports" back when it was called "Darwinports" ...

I've used both, and personally I prefer Fink. I'd occasionally had problems with Darwinports having duplicate versions of packages (despite my using the correct options to prevent that). More importantly, I ran into a couple instances where an install failed and basically "broke" the ability to install that package or any related packages. To fix that I had to do some significant modifications to various files within the Darwinports structure - and that's the sort of thing I moved to OS X (from Linux) to avoid.

The plus side of Darwinports is it would occasionally have slightly more up-to-date versions of some software - but never to a degree that actually mattered.

Fink's underlying structure just seems more robust and well designed. It does a better job with managing dependencies, IMHO. Bottom line is, I think Fink is easier to use in most every respect.