MacPro, 20" Cinema and Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tomfowler, Jan 23, 2007.

1. tomfowler macrumors newbie

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else was having problems getting the Cinema display to sleep in WindowsXP. I have a vanilla installation used for games and even though I have the sleep timer set to 15 minutes, I come back after a few hours and the display is dark, but not off. The backlight is still lit. I have actually turned off the screen saver and just set the power save to attempt to isolate the problem.

Of course, there are no problems in OS X. I think this is some sort of driver issue.

MacPro
    Radeon 1900XT
    2GB RAM
    20" Apple Cinema Display
    WindowsXP Professional with SP2
    Latest ATI drivers

Anyone else have a solution? Maybe a specific driver for the Cinema display? Currently it just shows up as a "Plug and Play Monitor". This also happens when the machine actuallly goes to sleep. The monitor stays on (black screen) while the Mac sleeps.

Thanks,

Tom

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Just press the power button on the display to turn it off completely and then when you come back later, just press the power button again and continue working. Stupid workaround but, it should work.

3. tomfowler thread starter macrumors newbie

The power button doesn't work. Apparently on these new displays it has to communicate with the computer in some way. In Mac OS X pushing the button displays the standby, shutdown or restart prompt. It doesn't do anything in WindowsXP.

Thanks for the reply!

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Sorry. I've used Windows on my Mac Pro (20" ACD) but, I wasn't in Windows long enough for my display to go to sleep. I had no idea there were problems.

5. seanf macrumors 6502

Install WinACD and you can then specify what happens when you press the power button on the monitor.

Sean :)

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I wasn't able to get my display to go to sleep in windows, stupid windows, thankfully I never use windows long enough to care...

7. tomfowler thread starter macrumors newbie

I give WinACD another try. I had used it once before and it never detected the display. Thanks!