MacPro and Third-Party Memory Modules: How to Cool them Down...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Apr 23, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

A better solution is to buy RAM with the correct heatsinks in the first place.

The customer comments on NewEgg and elseware are pretty consistent that the thermal adhesive on the Thermaltake add-on heatsinks is inadequate, and the heatsinks have a tendency to drop off... not the thing you want to have bouncing arount on your motherboard, a chunk of highly conductive copper....

3. macrumors 68040

killmoms

Quoted for Intense, Blinding Truth™.

4. macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I bought Apple RAM, partially to be on the safe side and partially because I just love to punish AMEX and then, one month later, myself ;)

5. macrumors newbie

Oem?

search OEM macpro ram in google and you can find the samsung RAM for a bit cheaper.

6. macrumors 603

solvs

In this case, I would not buy Newegg. I'd stick with OWC or Transintl. Even with my developer discount, they're cheaper than Apple, and work fine. I've heard good things of Datamem as well, but have not used them myself. I wouldn't be worth the tiime to bother with heat sinks and the like on cheapy RAM.

On the other hand, my iMac is running some Samsung and my Mom's running some PQI. Both work fine. Mac Pro's a little more picky.

7. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Err... not in the first 2 pages of Google results. You'll have to be a bit more specific to be helpful. "Samsung" isn't enough to guarantee compatibility. An Apple approved heatsink and Apple standard SPD settings and AMB chip are whats needed.

8. macrumors newbie

GJSchaller

I'm looking at buying multiple Mac Pros for a business, and the price difference between Apple and 3rd Party is enough to add up to a very signifigant savings if we go 3rd Party, especially at higher capacities of RAM and across a few dozen machines.

The biggest concern we have with going 3rd Party is reliability and performance - what brands of RAM are considered the most reliable in a MacPro? (As noted above, the Pros seem to be a bit more sensitive than iMacs to 3rd Party memory, something I have heard on more than one occasion.) Lots of places say "100% guaranteed," but that don't mean much if we keep needing to send it back to get it replaced - we'd rather get it right the first time. :)

9. macrumors member

I always get the Crucial RAM and it seems pretty good

10. macrumors 6502a

shinji

I put Crucial in my Mac Pro, no problems knock on wood. Very easy upgrade.