MacPro: ATI X1900 XT Price Drop?!!?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mr_Ed, Aug 29, 2006.

  1. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2004
    Location:
    North and east of Mickeyland
    #1
    I just went to Apple's on-line store to price out a MacPro (yes, I'm close to pulling the trigger on that one :D ) and noticed the ATI X1900 XT option is now $250, down from $350!! That pays for my Bluetooth/Wireless Ethernet option :)

    EDIT: Unfortunately, ship date is still "3-4 weeks" :/
     
  2. cjkihlbom macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2006
    #2
    Great news, thanks!

    Just had a look in the Swedish store, and they still have the old price. Hope they update it soon.
     
  3. Snarf macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2004
    Location:
    Upstate New York
    #3
    I'm wondering if we'll see a BTO option for the X1950XT at $350 now. Perhaps they will in fact bump orders already placed up to an X1950XT, but if they don't I'd better at least get that $100 back! :)
     
  4. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

    ^squirrel^

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2006
    Location:
    England
  5. MaxPower2k6 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    #5
    The upgrade kit is also $100 cheaper, at $399 now.
     
  6. MacSA macrumors 68000

    MacSA

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    UK
    #6
    The rest of the world is porbably subsidising the price drop for Apples US customers.
     
  7. syrianos macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    #7

    what "kit" do u mean?
     
  8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

    Spanky Deluxe

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2005
    Location:
    London, UK
    #8
    Wow, this really is great news. I hope they get X1950s in there soon (read within a week or so). I haven't been that impressed by the X1900 chips.
     
  9. Mr_Ed thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2004
    Location:
    North and east of Mickeyland
    #9
    Not the rest of the world. Just the UK customers :p
     
  10. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

    TDM21

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2004
    #10
  11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

    Spanky Deluxe

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2005
    Location:
    London, UK
    #11
    The UK store should hopefully bring the price down to 169.99 or 174.99 pretty soon.
     
  12. syrianos macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    #12
    i just called applestore to ask em about it(from belgium), they said they had no news about applestore europe so far, the guy wasn't even aware of the pricedrop in the US. either way, if the same pricedrop doesn't occur to the european market i'm cancelling the x1900xt, wait a few months and buy the best upgrade kit available at that time, they can't just keep the price the same in europe, especially since ATi dropped the prices so much after the introduction of 5 new 1900 based cards last week...
     
  13. MaxPower2k6 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    #13
    So you're not impressed with one of the fastest chips on the market, but you will be impressed with one that's less than 10 percent faster and a couple degrees cooler?
     
  14. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

    Spanky Deluxe

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2005
    Location:
    London, UK
    #14
    I'm more impressed with nVidia's recent cards. The x1900 is old hat now and quite long in the tooth for a top end machine. The x1950 is at least the flagship model. TBH I'd be a lot happier if there was a top end nVidia (non Quadro) card in there. ATI cards have left a bad taste in my mouth in the past. Guess I shouldn't go around eating them.
     
  15. EvilMonk macrumors regular

    EvilMonk

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2006
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #15
    :D Do you think they will drop the price for us that allready ordered the x1900xt video card and are waiting to get our macs?
     
  16. ammon macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2005
    Location:
    Colorado
    #16
    That is what I am hoping for!

    Who has called Apple regarding this?!?!?!?
     
  17. glassbathroom macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2004
    Location:
    London
    #17
    They really should, that's for sure.
     
  18. EvilMonk macrumors regular

    EvilMonk

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2006
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #18
    I tried but the apple store support line open in 36 minutes:D
     
  19. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

    robbieduncan

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    London
    #19
    You're not alone. I'd prefer an nVidia card too. My hope is that either:
    a) Someone works out how to flash standard consumer cards to work
    b) EFI becomes more popular in PC land and standard cards work anyway.
     
  20. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

    Spanky Deluxe

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2005
    Location:
    London, UK
    #20
    A good start would be to extract the firmware from an Apple 7300gt and flash it onto an off the shelf PC 7300gt. Also, I've heard of people flashing Quadro firmwares onto their GeForce brothers so maybe someone can extract the firmware off a Quadro and flash it onto an off the shelf GeForce card of similar design.
     
  21. damado macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    #21
    Well they better either charge me less or give me a 1950XTX...

    Please let us know if you get a discount when you call.
     
  22. topgunn macrumors 65816

    topgunn

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2004
    Location:
    Texas
    #22
    I can't believe that Apple would drop the price on something before the first one even ships.
     
  23. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #23
    A price drop on the ATI Radeon X1900 XT, that is great news! :D


    Now if only the shipping time would drop as well..... :)
     
  24. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

    robbieduncan

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    London
    #24
    The latter is possible. I don't want a 7300. What I really want to be able to do is flash the card that I already have (a 7800GT). I may never be able to do that though.

    For those worrying about price drops Apple have always passed these on in similar situations in the past (you only have to look as far back as the MBP launch).
     
  25. EvilMonk macrumors regular

    EvilMonk

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2006
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #25
    I called Apple Store support line and they updated my current price with the price drop of the x1900xt:D
     

Share This Page