Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguyca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Hello, this is my first post I have on order a Mac pro 8 core with all the goodies, stock video card is the 8800GTX. I would like to know if any of you have ever ran SLI or Crossfire ? I have heard several opinions on SLI and or Crossfire and know they are not supported in OSX, but has anyone successfully ran either in Bootcamp Windows? I would assume Crossfire is easier than SLI as SLI is chipset based but I heard a hacked driver exists. If you have set up either I would love to hear from you.

MartinelliMinim

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Pasco, WA
I am wondering the same thing

I currently have an evga 8800 gt superclocked in my 2.8 8 core Mac Pro. I flashed the bios so it works with Mac OS X and Windows. But my question is does motherboard on the Mac Pro support SLI?? I'm looking everywhere and all the answers are really wishy washy. I want a solid yes or no.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
There is no solid yes or no.

The 2006 Mac Pro supported CrossFire and SLI with hacked drivers and only in Windows.

It's not really an option at all in the newest one as of yet. I only say as of yet because absolutely everything can and will be hacked eventually. There's just really no need for either of them in a Mac Pro.

Buy a dedicated gaming computer if you want to use either of them.

And the stock card is the 2600. The 8800 GT is BTO, and congrats for choosing that.

MartinelliMinim

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Pasco, WA
There is no solid yes or no.

The 2006 Mac Pro supported CrossFire and SLI with hacked drivers and only in Windows.

It's not really an option at all in the newest one as of yet. I only say as of yet because absolutely everything can and will be hacked eventually. There's just really no need for either of them in a Mac Pro.

Buy a dedicated gaming computer if you want to use either of them.

And the stock card is the 2600. The 8800 GT is BTO, and congrats for choosing that.

So what your saying is that it is just a software thing. It has nothing to do with hardware? If it is so then that is good news!! But we'll see. I just bought another eVGA 8800 GT superclocked today but i can't install it until i receive the 6 pin power adapter. Then i will see if i can SLI the two cards. I'll be sure to post it up on youtube because i know a lot of people are wondering if it is possible =)

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
So what your saying is that it is just a software thing. It has nothing to do with hardware? If it is so then that is good news!! But we'll see. I just bought another eVGA 8800 GT superclocked today but i can't install it until i receive the 6 pin power adapter. Then i will see if i can SLI the two cards. I'll be sure to post it up on youtube because i know a lot of people are wondering if it is possible =)

Let me save you the hassle. You cannot use Scalable Link Interface with anything else than NVIDIA based motherboard for the time being. Although it is just a driver switch that tells whether or not you are running an NVIDIA based motherboard or not, it still has not been 'hacked'.

Crossfire/X will on the other hand work in Windows but for various reasons not be workable in Mac OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.