MacPro in store with NO taxes or Online (cust.)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by boneca, Feb 7, 2007.

1. boneca macrumors 6502

I'm about to make a MacPro purchase in a next couple of weeks and trying to justify where I should get it from.

Please advise....
    I work in NH where there are NO sale taxes, so basically what u see is what u get.
    I have 100 stores around me including Apple store and CompUsa where I can by pre-configured MacPro for $2499.00

which will have:
    2x2.66GHz
    1GB RAM
    250GB HD
    7300GT Video
    Wired Apple KB and Mouse

If I would by it online the configuration I would choose is:
    2x2.66GHz
    2GB RAM
    160GB HD - I have a WD 400GB SATAII hd to put in as second drive
    7300GT Video
    Wireless Apple KB and Mouse

The price for this config. $2807.00 + $140.35 tax = $2947.35

This means $448.35 difference.

The question I guess should I just go to the near by store and make a purchase and than I will have $400 to add 1GB of mem. + BT unit and BT KB and mouse?
    Or should I still order in desired config?

btw:
    I will purchase Apple care little down the road and I don't need a better video card (running 20" ACD at the moment and planning to add ACD 23" in a near future)

Thank you

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Get the preconfigured one and then add the RAM yourself. I'd skip the wireless stuff, the mouse is MUCH less responsive than the wired one and you also need to keep changing / charging batteries etc. Not worth it in my opinion for very little gain.

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

If you have it shipped to a NH address, it should be tax free, right?

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I thought so too, but if it isn't, then I'd buy the stock config and add the extras yourself.. will probably end up noticeably cheaper.

5. boneca thread starter macrumors 6502

That's right, I thought about it, to ship it to my work, but question remains.

waiting vs. no waiting :)

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

actually it would depend on billing address i believe and not shipping address.

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Well, we can't decide that one for you..

Though I would say to still look into RAM and HD prices third-party and compare them to what Apple would be charging you. You might still be better off going stock and then doing the installs yourself - plus then, no waiting.

8. Stadsport macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX8500/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Adding the memory yourself will be a much better value, you'll get your Mac Pro right away, and no sales tax for sure. I see no reason not to do it.

9. boneca thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys. I think I will follow the advice on buying it on site.

Just need to wait until my taxes comes in (maybe week or so).

Just stop by at the CompUSA for lunch break and played with one of them. Seems to be pretty quick with 1GB of ram comparing to my MacMin 1GB of RAM but than my MacMini is only PowerPC G4 1.25GHz :)

10. jpfisher macrumors regular

B&H Photo (bhphoto.com) stocks custom configuration Mac Pros and doesn't charge sales tax when shipping outside of NY in most cases. Free shipping on the Mac Pro as well.

11. psingh01 macrumors 65816

if you are going to get a stock one and upgrade from third parties then buy from amazon.com. they have no tax and a $200 rebate on the mac pro. Pay an extra $25 and you get it in 2 days other wise it is free shipping. I almost did that, but I want the airport/bluetooth upgrade which is not stock so I have to order from Apple online. After which since I will be charged tax I might as well upgrade to other things that I want like the ATI card and a bit more RAM....then when I look at the price I just say no lol

12. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

In my experience, it is the shipping address, at least when dealing with Apple. I have learned that if I have it shipped to my home, I get charged 7.25% sales tax (the local tax rate at home). If I have it shipped to my work, I get charged 8.25% (the local tax rate at work). My billing address hasn't changed.

13. boneca thread starter macrumors 6502

Couple of things.
    1st. I just found out that the Shipping address is what counts, not the billing.
    So I can save some money sending it to work address.
    2nd. I just found out that my company has Apple authorization number which means I can possibly save some additional money going thr. my company's website to do the purchase (too bad they didn't say what exact discount it would be until you do a final check out)
    3rd. I checked Amazon and it seems its also a good way to save some $ with that $200 discount and plus I have a Premium membership there which means I will get 2 days shipping free.

Decisions, decisions...

14. psingh01 macrumors 65816

My company also has a plan with the apple store for discounts. It is almost, but not quite, as good as the edu discount.

15. boneca thread starter macrumors 6502

almost, but not quite - Can I get number more or less? Let's say $2500 what discount would be? around $200 maybe?

thanks

Edit: on the same note, Is it possible to use this discount in Apple retail store?

16. psingh01 macrumors 65816

The prices vary from product to product and I'm not sure if my company's discount will differ from yours (though I don't see why they would?). As an example, the MacBook Pro line.

EDU prices for the 3 default configs: $1799, $2299, $2599
    Company store prices for same configs: $1839, $2299, $2575

Seeing the 17" actually cheaper than edu surprised me! I don't know if these prices are available in the physical store, I've never used the discount, I just know I have access to the online store. I have used the EDU discount in store though, just showed my student id card.

17. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Not true. It is entirely dependent on your shipping address.

18. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

If you ship it to an address that's not your home (such as a friend's house), could that cause you problems with your warrantee or applecare? Of could you just register the applecare at your home address?

19. AaronICT macrumors member

Wow! I didn't know that; do they do true custom configs or do they only have the custom ones listed on their site?

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Keep in mind that you'll want the wired keyboard and mouse for setup and if you use BootCamp.

Adding hard drive(s) and RAM yourself is easy, usually cheaper, and you'll get a longer warranty on the components.