MacPro Internet

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by petersonwork, Aug 1, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey, now I use a pc for gaming and my mac for work and I have one ethernet cable that directly connects to my modem. Whenever I try to turn on my mac and plug in my ethernet cable I always have to like unplug, plug it back in and then restart and try unplugging and plugging itb ack in to get internet. Is there a special way to solve this problem like setting up my mac to recognize this or maybe like a certain time to insert the cable?
    Thanks,
    Ken

2. macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Do you have an airport card? I know if you have airport and need to use ethernet, you must switch it off and wait for the ethernet to be selected.

3. macrumors regular

You could go get yourself a router/switch. They aren't too spendy these days. Especially online.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I have an airport utility but when i click it it scans and finds nothing and I can choose anything, like any off or on button. So I guess I don't have one in here?

5. macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Well unless you added it when you purchased it, airport cards do not come standard with the Mac Pro. I guess my advice is of no use now. But I do know that you have to give the ethernet a minute to configure itself.

6. macrumors G5

Consultant

7. macrumors G4

What you need is a simple wired router. Get one from d-link or linksys for about $40 or if you like, an Apple router would work too and have a few more features.