Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spencer Fry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
I've searched the forums, but I wasn't able to find the exact answer to the questions that I have about memory on the MacPro. I just ordered a new MacPro with the default 2x512MB RAM, because I wasn't about to pay Apple for extra RAM as their prices are ridiculous. I then read around various forums for suggestions on RAM to insert into my new MacPro. However, I'm still left with two questions and being new to the Mac, I'd appreciate some help from some seasoned Mac veterans.

1. I came across this memory from Kingston as a viable option for some additional memory. Although, the reviews on Newegg.com for it are all positive, I'm still worried about heat issues. Should I be worried with that memory? If I should be worried, what are some other sticks of memory that I would be completely safe using?

2. People also suggested on other forums that having 2x512 MB and then a few sticks of 1 GB might cause problems, because the memory isn't all of the same size. Will this be a real issue? I'm planning to buy 2 sticks of 1GB to add to my MacPro, so that would leave me with 3GB at 2x1GB and 2x512MB. Would it be better to remove the 2x512MB and leave myself with only 2GB of RAM or keep it at 3GB even though the RAM is of different sizes.

Your help would be greatly appreciated as I've not used a Mac in about seven years and am definitely quite a newbie as to its current hardware situation. Thanks very much.

phantasm10

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
I threw in some standard heatsink memory in my Mac Pro temporarily. I used it casually, no heavy rendering or anything, and had no problems. BUT, the memory was very hot and I could not touch it for more than a few seconds and probably would have burned my hand if I held it. The Apple memory was hot too, but at least I could hold it. That can't be good for the machne after weeks or months of use.

kered22

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Torrance, CA
Spencer Fry said:
1. I came across this memory from Kingston as a viable option for some additional memory. Although, the reviews on Newegg.com for it are all positive, I'm still worried about heat issues. Should I be worried with that memory? If I should be worried, what are some other sticks of memory that I would be completely safe using?

2. People also suggested on other forums that having 2x512 MB and then a few sticks of 1 GB might cause problems, because the memory isn't all of the same size. Will this be a real issue? I'm planning to buy 2 sticks of 1GB to add to my MacPro, so that would leave me with 3GB at 2x1GB and 2x512MB. Would it be better to remove the 2x512MB and leave myself with only 2GB of RAM or keep it at 3GB even though the RAM is of different sizes.
Well for the first one, you can try running by this xlr8yourmac.com page, there are reports with several different makes of RAM:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/Mac_Pro/mac_pro_ram.html#storytop

Also, Petite on here put some Samsung memory into his that worked fine even though it used those flat metal heatspreaders and not the big ones that are on the Apple RAM. They were a bit warm to the touch after heavy use, but it didn't seem to affect the fan speed or anything.

For the second question, I don't think mixing sizes like that will be a problem, it's just optimal to have the RAM installed in pairs (2 1GB DIMMs, 2 512MB DIMMs etc). And for best performance (dual channel versus quad channel), 1 pair on riser A and the second pair on riser B. The effects of the quad channel are a bit questionable though, it can give you a performance boost, but it will vary. You can see some tests of that here:
http://www.barefeats.com/quad09.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.