MacPro or wait and get the new imac that hopefully will come out soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by freakonguitar, Aug 19, 2006.

  1. #1
    Well I need a desktop. My iBook is nice for when I am just doing some surfing of the net, email, typing and simple other tasks, but aside from that it lacks power and just doesn't cut it. So i am looking for a desktop. MacMini is out of the question cause i need to have at least 160gb hdd internal and would prefer 250gb, it also doesn't support the option of dual monitors. I need something powerful enough for multitasking.
    usually will include doing this at once:
    - playing music
    - web, email, msn
    - media editting
    - just imovie sort of video editting
    or - some photo editting
    or - uploading photos and movies taken
    - word processing or ppt

    basically lots of school stuff and some hobbies but i want to get something that will be decent and i won't get frustrated with in a year. The MacPro seems like overkill but i haven't used an iMac or macpro so i don't really know :(
    Any advice would be good (i've considered just getting a good notebook too... and an external hdd and 120gb internal ....a notebook such as 2ghz macbook?? would this be a better idea or should i just get a desktop... i don't really need my notebook to be powerful if my desktop is good )
  2. apfhex macrumors 68030


    Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    Ya, I think the Mac Pro would be overkill. Wait and see if there'll be an upgraded iMac, or just get the iMac anyway.
  3. freakonguitar thread starter Guest

    I would be all for the imac if they put in the conroe core 2 duo! :D but thats an IF. Its Apple so i don't necissarily know what to expect. The conroe is cheaper and WAY faster and desktop designed ....but so far apple had put laptop cpus in its consumer desktops.. :(
  4. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040


    Mar 24, 2006
    I say just buy now :D I think the imacs are great
  5. freakonguitar thread starter Guest

    why not wait 3 or 4 weeks if i dont' despritely need it till school kicks into gear? any upgrade would be worth the wait wouldn't it? :)
  6. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040


    Mar 24, 2006
    Its up to you whether you want to wait :) but from the sounds of what you do it wont be a substantial upgrade and you wont see a huge difference. Ultimately your decision
  7. freakonguitar thread starter Guest

    well obviously an imac would do...or now ...should i get an imac or macbook? Macbooks have just as fast a processor.

Share This Page