MacPro Raid

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CSA, Sep 16, 2006.

1. CSA macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2006
    I just got my first Apple. I got a mac pro, Yea.
    Anyhow I have foue hard drives.
    One for Mac OSX.
    One for Windows.
    And i have 2 which I am raiding.
    I made the raid Volume in the Mac with disk utility.
    I made a journaled mac volume?? (what ever that is?)
    Whats the differance between the Mac format settings you can choose??

What I want to do is to share the Raid with Windows. I dont seem to be able to make 2 partition on the raid volume I made.?
    So I dont know what to do?
    Windows wont even red the other hard drives. i even Raided the hard drives with MS Dos format and still the Windows wont read it.

So to sum up what i want to do!?
    I want to be able to either share the Raid volume with windows and mac osx.
    Or i would like to partiotn the raid volume in 2 and have a seperate partition for each operating system.
    I dont know how to do either, If you can at all do this? Seem I can only use the raid volume on Mac OSX.

Any help would be great
  2. Terrabit macrumors newbie

Aug 26, 2006

Interesting questions...

It is not possible to share a drive that contains a RAID partition between Windows XP and OS X. That is, the method OS X uses to prepare a drive that has a RAID set on it is 100% incompatible with the method Windows XP uses.. (Windows use Dynamic Disks, which OS X doesn't understand, etc).

I have fought long and hard on trying to achieve this result. It simply isn't possible.

It simply isn't possible to share a RAID using OSX and WINDOWS. (Well, maybe if you bought an XSERVER RAID box, or something.)

If you want a RAID system, I recommend you RAID your 4 SATA drives for OS X, and install a good old "Parallel ATA" hard drive for your Windows Drive. The Windows partition should be formated FAT-32 (as opposed to NTFS).

I recommend you review my website, for how I chose to configure my system to achieve a flexible RAID configuration for OSX:

3. CSA thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2006
    Where would I connect a PATA drive on a MacPro
  4. hal0n macrumors regular

Dec 27, 2004
    the second optical drive connector
  5. CSA thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2006
    would that slow the hard drive down to the same speed as the optical drive>?
    (like matching a 5200rpm drive with a 7200rpm driveon the same ide cable. which will slow the 7200rpm drive to 5200rpm)

doesit work that way?
  6. WillJJ macrumors newbie

Sep 30, 2006
    Err, this is possible...

I just read this thread, and have the setup that CSA is requesting.

I have a MAC mini with 2 external USB drives, I have formatted them both as MAX osx extended, added them to a mirrored raid setup then used sharepoints to make them accessible from the PC.

The whole lot is working fine - I have all outlook emails and shared documents on the mac raid system.

7. cromeyellow macrumors newbie

Oct 26, 2003
    San Diego
    RAID help

Okay so I just received my MacPro - it has the four 500Gb drives installed.

When I turn it on for the first time will it, like my new MacBook Pro, ask to transfer via FireWire cable the info from my old system (G4)?

If so, then at what point do I raid my drives? I want to avoid having to sit there for days transferring data from my old system to new. The process where it asks to transfer data from the old system is painless.
  8. jhaffner macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2006
    Hi Cryellow,

Go ahead and boot the machine with the CD (hold down the C key at startup). Use Disk Utility to set up the RAID config you want, then install OS X from the same CD. Then you can go to /Applications/Utilities/ and run Migration Assistant. It will take you through importing files from your old machine via firewire.

9. sputniktools macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2005
    bracket for ide drive

I see where the ata drive would go in the cavity under the dvd. Does anyone know of a place that sells the appropriate bracket to mount the drive in there?
  10. portishead macrumors 65816

Apr 4, 2007
    los angeles
  11. blur35mm macrumors member

Jan 18, 2007
    Any suggestions for reliable External Raid-1 drives? At a minimum I need 500GB, but would love to get 1TB+ ($$$). Thinking of getting the Lacie 2x500.

Anyone suggest a good e-Sata card? I know that most of these drives require e-Sata

12. spaz8 macrumors 6502

Mar 3, 2007
    Do you ideally have a whole seperate physical drive just for bootcamp/windows? versus making a partition on your OSX drive.

I'm thinking i want 3 drives now.. 1 - boot camp. 2 same size for osx and time machine.

Or 2 the same for an OSX performance raid(#? i forget what the number type is for striping versus redundancy) and an external FW800 drive for Time machine.
  13. billtanderson macrumors newbie

Apr 18, 2004
    Croydon, UK
    Terrabit - interesting reading on your site.

I plan on getting a Mac Pro at some point in the next year or so and had been thinking of something like the following for the set up of the drives

2 drives striped RAID0 (could even use 10k spin Raptors) for boot/applications/home

2 drives striped RAID0 for data

I can see from your tests, as expected, that 2 drives striped is not as fast as 4 drives striped. However, when running real world applications will the fact that the applications and the data are on the same drives not slow things down ? In that situation the above two sets of drives wouldn't be slowed.

As I haven't tried any RAIDing of drives before, and wont have a chance to until I get the new kit I have little feel for how the set ups would compare.
  14. brooker macrumors regular

Apr 4, 2007
    differing speeds in raid drives?

I have a raid question, as i'm configuring a mac pro. This thread seems to be the place to ask.

If i got two drives that operated at different speeds, like a 15k SAS drive in slot 1, and a 7200 SATA in slot 2, and set them up as a mirror set (raid 1)... would i get the speed benefits from the fast drive? If it is the original, wouldn't it just work out that data would be pulling from that, while writing to the mirror as the system is able?

Or is it just not worth trying to save $200 this way?

15. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    In this kind of Raid setup, the weakest drive dictates the terms. So, if you have a 250 and a 300, your Raid will end up at 2x250 for 500, not 550 GB. Likewise, I'm pretty sure the slower speed drive will be the bottleneck. I don't believe that the RAID setup is smart enough to compensate for differential speeds by placing more info on the faster drive so both are running at saturation.

You should get identical drives if possible to achieve maximum RAID benefits.
  16. Pressure macrumors 68040

May 30, 2006
    You could also look at the Iomega UltraMax drives featuring either 640GB or 1TB set up in a RAID 0.
  17. murfle macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2007
    I've been having a heck of a time searching for an answer to this, so I'll just ask here...

In the quoted situation, if you RAID- the 250gb and 300gb drive, get your 500gb striped set, is Disk Utility flexible enough to let you use the remaining 50gb on the 300gb drive as its own partition?
  18. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

Feb 9, 2003
    Durham, NC
    IIRC, the Windows XP utility "MacDrive" allows you to mount and use HFS+ (Mac formatted) volumes in the windows environment. I didn't read through their site, but I bet it would support a RAID configuration set up in Disk Utility (you can probably email and ask).

At $50, it's cheaper than buying additional storage.

As for the difference between HFS+ and HFS+ Journaled, here's Apple's Explanation (there's a lot more info at the link):
    There's also info on HFS+ at the Wikipedia.
  19. rodolfo macrumors newbie

Feb 18, 2008
    Hi There,

In just got a MacPro with a RAID card (4 disk on Raid0 formated as FAT32), I want to use the raid using MS Windows (bootcamped on a 5th PATA drive) and unfortunatelly the Bootcamp Disc (2.01) doesn't have the drivers for the card... :(

Does anyone know where I can get a driver for the Mac RAID card?

Kind regards and thanks in advance :)
  20. scottydawg macrumors 6502

Jan 22, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    The Mac RAID card does not support BootCamp.
  21. dgdosen macrumors 65816

Dec 13, 2003
    I've read that quote quite a few times on these forums :)

That's why I've said, screw bootcamp! I'm going with fusion only windows on my Mac Pro. That way, I can set up four internal hard drives in RAID 01 and have whatever I need...

Just can't game, but then again, that's what the XBox is for...