MacPro SuperDrive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by skunk, Oct 2, 2006.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

MacBidouille are reporting (in French, needless to say) that the SuperDrive in some MacPros is not the Sony unit it appears to be, but is actually a better-specified NEC 4750 clone, which can write DVD-RAMs at 5x, and write CDs at 48x. They have succeeded in redefining it so that you can use its latent capabilities.

http://www.macbidouille.com/articles/216/page1/

It's three pages long. I could translate it, but I can't be arsed. :)

PM me if you really must know what it says.

2. ljones macrumors regular

I have one and the damn thing is LOUD! Says Sony, and oddly enough 8x max showed up in Toast.

Take a listen in this clip i made. I took it back to the Apple Store and they didn't find anything wrong.

http://www.urbansory.com/video/?id=LoudMacPro

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

My SuperDrive is actually a Pioneer DVR-111. Doesn't seem like Apple have a 'usual' supplier for these!

4. ljones macrumors regular

All the models i checked said Pioneer. This is the first Sony i've ran across and it's in my own machine.

The one in my G4, which i purchased from new Egg is a pioneer, never had a problem with it, not to mention I don't hear it. But the case might have something to do with that.

5. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

That's weird, I thought I was the odd one out, most of the reviews I read of the Mac Pro said they shipped with Sony drives (hence my surprise, although not disappointment when it arrived with a Pioneer). Must be whoever is the cheapest when Apple places their order of Superdrives.

6. lowfi macrumors newbie

I have 2 pioneers.

Guy on antoher forum had 1 drive with a black tray and 1 white :confused:

7. ljones macrumors regular

8. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Two Pioneers here....just got my Mac Pro today.

9. seanf macrumors 6502

No need

Sean :)

10. bossass macrumors regular

What does one do with two drives? Just curious.

11. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Show off?

Personally, I got two because I didn't want a flap at the front of the computer with nothing behind it.

12. Digidesign macrumors 6502

While one drive is busy, the other drive is free to start the next task. This comes in handy for most DVD applications. When you want to back up your DVD library with Handbrake, the extra drive speeds up the process greatly.

Less swapping of discs too when it comes to program installs that are more than 2x discs. Just a convenience factor then.

I've come across situations often where I already have a disc being accessed/read/writing and I want to use the drive but can't since it's busy. I figured for ~$35, another Pioneer DVR-111 was worth it.