MacPro to my suround sound stereo

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rasheem, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Rasheem macrumors regular

I have a fairly nice sony dav-bc150 surround sound stereo and i play alot of music through it while im using my computer for whatever purposes be it video editing or just itunes while im on the internet. I have the stereo hooked up to the audio out on the back of my macPro im using just a basic RCA audio cables. Im not running it mono. I just recently noticed however that out of my Center, Right, Left, Subwoofer and 2 satelite speakers, Only the right Left and subwoofer are outputting any audio. Is there a way to output the audio from my mac to my stereo inorder to get full usage of all the speakers?

Heres is the stereo on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DAV-BC150-Progressive-Theater-System/dp/B0001XU89O

2. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

I'd guess that it has an optical in. If so, try that, though it might decide that normal music only needs 2.1 (which it is).

David.

3. bobr macrumors member

Just get an Optical/Toslink cable (cheap at Radio Shack) and select that Audio Output in System Preferences>Sound>Output. Connect the cable to the one Optical Input on the Receiver and you shoud be GTG.

4. Rasheem thread starter macrumors regular

Guys i think im SOL cause The only inputs are what i already have and there is nothing that looks like the optical/toslink input. Thankx for oyur help anyway though

5. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

without a digital in like toslink you cant get true discret surround sound
    however your system does have dolby prologic II which should, if you select it on the receiver, turn any stereo source (like the output from your computer) into 5.1 channel surround sound

6. bobr macrumors member

From the Amazon page:

Auxiliary connections include one each analog- and digital-audio inputs to accommodate a VCR, camcorder, gaming console, or cable box, and a headphone jack grants private listening.

and

Digital input allows for connections to digital cable boxes, satellite boxes, HDTV set top boxes, PlayStation2, and other game systems (with optical output)

so it looks like it should work unless I'm missing something.

7. Rasheem thread starter macrumors regular

Ok im still lacking a true full on digital connection but by switching the "mode" from "rock" to "movie" i got it coming out of all of my speakers which is what i wanted to accomplish
    Ok so thanks guys.