Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mushroomgod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Hi All,

Iv just ordered my 1st Mac in about 7 years, my last one was an 8600 with 32mb of ram...things have moved on a bit sence then :)

anyway, I downgraded to the 160gb drive and am planing to buy a second drive to install winxp onto. Up till now Iv been dealing with basic pc settups, IDE and all that stuff, but Im a little confused by the whole Sata thing..

could somone tell me if this drive can be added as a second drive to the mac pro..for xp?
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=44FC&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=Seagate+Barracuda&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0&v=2#infoarea

cheers!

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Nope, that drive is an ATA-100 drive, you want Serial ATA (SATA). Any SATA drive will work 100% with the Mac Pro. I recommend Western Digital, although Seagate get good reviews also.

These 250GB drives will work fine:
link
or
link

Also, check out Komplett as I recently saved over £60 buying 3 drives compared with my usual favourite hardware store, Overclockers.co.uk

Mushroomgod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
thanks NATO you a star

good job I asked, I was 99% sure that drive would work, good to find out it wont before I buy it :)

cheers

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
No problem. Welcome to the forums :) Feel free to post any and all questions relating to your Mac Pro should you feel the need.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
congrats.

one suggestion though...when you get your mac, before you turn it on, strap on a helmet and a seatbelt to your chair.

then press the power button

:)
and enjoy!

Mushroomgod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Keebler said:
congrats.

one suggestion though...when you get your mac, before you turn it on, strap on a helmet and a seatbelt to your chair.

then press the power button

:)
and enjoy!

hahah, Ill remember to :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.