MacPro. What harddrive to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mushroomgod, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Mushroomgod macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Iv just ordered my 1st Mac in about 7 years, my last one was an 8600 with 32mb of ram...things have moved on a bit sence then :)

anyway, I downgraded to the 160gb drive and am planing to buy a second drive to install winxp onto. Up till now Iv been dealing with basic pc settups, IDE and all that stuff, but Im a little confused by the whole Sata thing..

could somone tell me if this drive can be added as a second drive to the mac pro..for xp?
    http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=44FC&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=Seagate+Barracuda&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0&v=2#infoarea

cheers!

2. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Nope, that drive is an ATA-100 drive, you want Serial ATA (SATA). Any SATA drive will work 100% with the Mac Pro. I recommend Western Digital, although Seagate get good reviews also.

These 250GB drives will work fine:
    link
    or
    link

Also, check out Komplett as I recently saved over £60 buying 3 drives compared with my usual favourite hardware store, Overclockers.co.uk

3. Mushroomgod thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks NATO you a star

good job I asked, I was 99% sure that drive would work, good to find out it wont before I buy it :)

cheers

4. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

No problem. Welcome to the forums :) Feel free to post any and all questions relating to your Mac Pro should you feel the need.

5. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Just to throw in one more tidbit, 250 - 320 GB drives are the best $ to GB ratio just now. Unless you really need a 500 -740GB, go with the smaller (not that small) driives.

6. Keebler macrumors 68030

congrats.

one suggestion though...when you get your mac, before you turn it on, strap on a helmet and a seatbelt to your chair.

then press the power button

:)
    and enjoy!

7. Mushroomgod thread starter macrumors newbie

hahah, Ill remember to :)