Macpro - Will we wont we get....

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ^squirrel^, Jan 25, 2007.

1. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

A 8800GTX/GTS?

Or the ATi card when it's released? I'm considering building a pc with the 8800 card due to Flight Sim X giving my Macpro a battering! Is it worth waiting a while to see if they release an upgrade GPU for my exisiting machine?

Thanks

Darren

2. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

"Macpro - Will we wont we get...." ummm- what does this mean?

I don't think anyone knows when new cards are coming, but we hope these do. If you are considering building a computer just for gaming, why do you have a mac? If you have the money to easily spend, you can go for it if you want...However, you could just relax a bit and wait...Do you have the X1900?

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

This is true. Why not just get an 8800, flash it, and use it whenever you want to game.

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Well its really not that simple, the card won't work in OSX, only on Windows and you'd need a second card for OSX but that could be sketchy business and I'm not even sure it would work.

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yes, by using it whenever you want to to game, I was implying swapping it out. Obviously he already has the card which would work in OS X. And yes, it would work. There is a thread with people having gotten it to work.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, buying a workstation for a gaming machine is a tad bit more expensive than a performance desktop.

The way it is looking, we will probably get a minimum of one more mobile-based iMac before we see Apple add the desktop chipset to the Mac line-up (and the possibility of seeing a gaming Mac tower show up at the same time.)

With the Intel chipsets however, you just never know when Apple will surprise you and add the desktop chipset anyway. ;)

Once Apple reenters the consumer tower market, we will likely see more choices in video cards.

8. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Well i already have the X1900.

The reason why i purchased the mac was because i thought it could handle my games, which it could until i got flight sim x. I wanted 1 machine that i could have OSX on and Windows. But now, unless mac release a more powerful GPU i'll have to build a pc.

I think i'll leave it until April and then if we dont see an update then i suppose i'll have to have 2 separate desktops.

9. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Honestly, I think the best option is to build a gaming PC out of the best parts your money can buy, and have a Mac Mini for everything else. That way you get a PC you can quickly upgrade without having to worry about compatibility, and a Mac which is super-stable and is (currently) invulnerable to viruses etc.

10. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Did people not read...this person owns a Mac Pro, with the X1900....

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Why the heck are people buying Mac Pro's to run Windows and use as a gaming machine? I do enjoy the occasional Mac game but, I'm pretty sure I did not buy the Mac Pro for gaming reasons. Getting a Windows PC will severely improve compatibility with GPUs and game titles for running on Windows. Why not just do that?

12. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

and he wants to make a high-end gaming machine. The Mac Pro is designed to be a workstation; thats the reason it has 2 gigabit ethernet ports, 2 dual core chips, 4 HDD bays and support for 16GB RAM. You don't need any of that if you are playing games, but they are a godsend if you are editing massive video files.

13. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Will that ever happen though?

I hope it does. I'm not really high on the concept of equating a computer to a VCR in terms of getting inside it and toying around.

14. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yes I know, but...some people are making it seem like they think he doesn't own a mac yet. Like the suggestion to get a mac mini, and build a gaming pc.

15. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

alright alright... ill rephrase the comment; sell the Mac Pro, use the money to buy refurb mac mini + parts for gaming machine.

For future reference, anyone who wants a gaming machine and a mac, buy a gaming machine and a mac mini/iMac, not both in one until things at Apple change.