Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangephoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Alright, so I have a 2.66 Pro with a X1900, 2GB ram, 160GB HDD.

all latest updates, everythings current. my problem is this:

it doesnt go into standbye after the 30 minutes I set it to. It only goes into standbye when I tell it to. It doesn't matter what settings I choose in Energy Saver, it never want's to automatically standbye. This started happening a few months ago and has become rather annoying honestly.

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if anyone had any suggestions.

Thank you.

jmoss

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2006
iPod

Mine did not like going to sleep with my iPods plugged in. Fine when they were inplugged - worth a try! :)

orangephoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
it makes no difference if I unplug the iPod or not.

does anyone know the specific plists that i could play with? maybe?

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
My Dell monitor has a USB hub built-in. My Mac Pro won't go into sleep if that hub is plugged in. Try unplugging everything USB/Firewire from the box except the keyboard and the mouse and it'll probably do it.

tylerboyo

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
Cardiff, UK
OP, same thing happens to me on my macbook pro. Checked prefs loads of times, posted numerous topics on different forums, no answers at all. mine, i set the screeen to sleep at 20mins, then the hard drive and rest of computer at 30. i also have set a password prompt on sleep/screensaver. All that happens is the screen goes black, doesnt ask for a password, and its boiling hot, cuz its been on for like 12 hrs. I might take it back to an apple shop. any suggestions any1?
i have also changed settings, eg, hard drive to sleep before screen, etc etc, no luck what so ever, well annoying!

edit - this still happens whether its plugged in or not, a mouse or other usbs connected or not. I need a solution!

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Have you got Temperature Monitor installed?

Sean :)

Does that prevent sleep? Mine doesn't sleep as well, which doesn't bother me that much, but I put it down to having the RF reciever for a logitech mouse plugged in.

David.

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
Does that prevent sleep?
It can do. If you open it up and then go to Preferences > General and check for a notification against the Disk Saver option. If there is a yellow triangle then you need to change the "Avoid accessing the drive sensors if user inactive" setting until it disappears. Your computer should then sleep properly.

Sean :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.