Macromedia announces Studio 8

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 8, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

first off - sorry about the yelling.

WHERE THE @#$%^&*( IS FREEHAND?

In the war of graphics programs, apparently in the buyout Adobe has won with Illustrator, leaving many graphic designers (myself included) sobbing at the loss of Freehand. While they did roughly the same thing, Freehand was a whole lot easier to learn, use, understand, etc.

Freehand is dead. Long live Freehand.

3. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Hopefully the MX2004 to 8 for Dreamweaver, will have more improvements than the MX to MX2004. I've become increasingly annoyed at Dreamweaver, recently, and the 2004 upgrade from a year ago has never helped. :(

Good News! They fixed the nightmarish FTP installation, so it saves in the background. Had they had this feature 2 years ago, I wouldn't have wasted a cumulative month of my life waiting for things to upload.

4. macrumors newbie

This could be something awesome.

I, too, have been increasingly upset with Dreamweaver. But hopefully this will bring tabbed windows to DW on the Mac, and I can stop saying, "Dreamweaver is much better on a PC than on a Macintosh." It kills me to say it, but it's true.

5. macrumors member

Captain Canuck

Why bother!

My feelings exactly!

And why bother upgrading when next year all the apps will be intergrated into Adobe. Actually, that's probably a good reason to upgrade -- before Adobe F's things up.

6. macrumors 6502a

paulypants

Not surprising...

I'm just glad I use Illustrator over Freehand :p

7. macrumors G5

nagromme

My old animosity toward toward Macromedia ended a couple years back when prices dropped a bit, bundles started working out in my favor instead of the reverse, and best of all: Director MX 2004 gained the ability to make Windows apps!

But I skip every other upgrade or so of all my apps--which saves me a lot!

I think it's finally time to upgrade my Macromedia stuff. I'll wait for word on Rosetta-friendliness though.

I like DW MX just fine but I've heard complaints about 2004--I hope they are cleared up now.

As for Freehand--that's my app of choice too!

8. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Curious to see a new Flash Pro - I figured it would have been a while longer with the Adobe merger.

I see that they're touting better video integration with the new version - wasn't that what they've been touting for the past several revs?

D

9. macrumors newbie

It has been confirmed on the Macromedia forums that this version does indeed have tabs for the Mac.

10. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Seconded!

And also, collapsing code, which could be nice.

And the obligatory rambling about XML, just like the rambling about CSS in the first MX.

And, it's nice to see they've abandoned the "MX" notation and went back to good ol' major revision numbers!

I can't work out if you can download it immediately. It says pre-order, and I get that CD's ship in September, but are downloads available immediately, or do they "ship" you a hyperlink in september? Can anyone see what's going on?

11. Moderator emeritus

Yes, Aldus is officially dead now after two Adobe mergers. PhotoStyler died a long time ago when it was still part of Freehand Studio 7 as xRes.

It's typical of Adobe to get rid of the better application. We know that Illustrator will never support multiple page documents because its documents are pure PostScript in memory.

12. macrumors newbie

You can't download it yet. The forums mentioned that a trial version will be coming, but there's no date. It'll probably be closer to the mid-September release date. I can't wait.

13. macrumors regular

while everyone is complaining about freehand not being there, what about the versioning ?

mx, mx 2004, and now 8 ?

thats cute

-Mario

14. macrumors regular

seems like a transition borne either out of 'there isn't much difference between 2004 and 2005' or 'wow, maybe we shouldn't have confused people with our "mx" version idea'

15. macrumors G5

nagromme

I'm not panicking about Freehand yet.

Haven't there always been TWO Macromedia bundles (if not more), and one of them (Studio?) ALWAYS lacked Freehand?

Maybe the next Freehand's simply not ready to announce yet, so that other new bundle's not being announced yet either.

16. Moderator emeritus

I keep hoping, since Flash's interface is based upon Freehand, that Flash Pro 8 contains a print interface equivalent to Freehand's functionality.

Otherwise, it looks like Canvas is going to get some new business.

17. macrumors regular

Freehand wasn't even (really) updated for the MX 2004 version of Studio. So I'm not suprised that they aren't updating it again. Especially when Illustrator is a far better product.

18. macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip. I'm ready to purchase now, then.

19. macrumors newbie

i hope tabbed windows come across the apps on the mac - a feature i really find invaluable on windows which i use at work

i get by with fireworks thanks to expose' but the UI on the macromedia apps is still better on Windows

any chance of knowing whether the timeline in flash supports mouse scrollwheels on the mac?

20. macrumors 65816

asif786

i don't really like the new numbering system..kinda weird imho..

anyway, aside from that it looks like a nice update. there's always little tidbits that speed up your day a little - hopefully the new macromedia apps have lots!

i do sometimes wonder though -- am i the only person that still uses fireworks? photoshop has always seemed waay to complex for me (i dont use filters or anything..just simple web design tools - crop, export, etc) and i love fireworks. long may it live!

21. Moderator emeritus

You really should use ImageReady for the web tools on photos instead of using Photoshop.

22. macrumors 68030

joepunk

Besides not being surprized by the lack of Freehand, I was not expecting an update like this, nor the change to an Adobe style numbering system. I guess that the change in numbering could be for those who use Adobe products more. Then again maybe not, what do I know :rolleyes:

Kind of sad that Freehand was not included as it was easier for me to use in conjunction with Flash.

But, I am perfectly fine with my Student MX2004 bundle and am not going to upgrade for quite sometime.

23. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yay! :D

I've never said that. But then again, I've only ever used DW on Mac :)

24. macrumors 68040

mduser63

Everybody complaining about Freehand should calm down. From macworld.com:

Guerard is Vice President of Product Management and Marketing at Macromedia.

I'm planning to upgrade to this new version of Studio (from MX), and I'm actually glad they're including Contribute. I'm not really sure what Flashpaper is for.

25. Moderator emeritus

FlashPaper allows a Flash presentation to be exported to .pdf format. Unfortunately, they've seen fit to only produce it for Windows.