Macromedia's main site shuts out Safari

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by peter2002, Mar 11, 2003.

1. peter2002 macrumors 6502

A redesign of software maker Macromedia's main Web site is attracting criticism from customers because it doesn't work with some browsers, including Apple Computer's much-hyped Safari.

While eye-catching, the new site is drawing complaints in online forums, partly because the site won't work with some Web browsers, including Apple's Safari and the increasingly popular Opera browser.

Safari incompatibility is a particularly delicate issue, because design professionals who use Macromedia's products represent one of Apple's most important core audiences.

Al Ramadan, an executive vice president at Macromedia, said company representatives are scheduled to meet with Apple developers Wednesday to iron out Safari compatibility issues. Macromedia is also working with Opera to support that browser. He noted that the Macromedia site does work--but very slowly--with those browsers, which represent less than 5 percent of traffic to the site.

"Safari and Opera aren't perfectly optimized with Flash--we understand it, we know it and we're working on it," Ramadan said. "I expect to get resolution on this in the next couple of weeks."

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-991868.html

Oh well, back to IE.

Pete :)

2. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: Macromedia's main site shuts out Safari

Macromedia's new site ISN'T all that attractive. The Flash is a little boring and staid, the interface looks like a poorly ported XP thing and let's face it-- as much as I wanna believe Macromedia is some great godsend of a company.... it just seems as if they're as corrupt and power hungry as MS.

If I didn't have a huge investment.... i'd try GoLive. I'm just afraid i'll like it and spend more $$ that I don't wanna spend.

3. howard macrumors 68020

howard

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It's some of the sub-pages. For intance, click on the Downloads link at the top of the main page.

5. howard macrumors 68020

howard

ahh i see, well that sucks. good thing i don't need to go on the macromedia site for any reason

6. awulf macrumors 6502

Re: Macromedia's main site shuts out Safari

Back to IE? How about Mozilla for OS 9 and Camino for OS X.

I still use Camino as my main browser until Safari becomes better.

7. richie macrumors member

"Aren't perfectly optimized" (in the original article) suggests to me speed issues with flash... but even with that first page at macromedia.com, Safari (v.60) is *significantly* faster and smoother with it than Camino and Mozilla.

Oh well, at least the situation is being remedied, no matter the actual cause..

8. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i've come across a few so far that do also. i say to hell with macromedia anyway. thier products are garbage, especially on Mac. slow, buggy ports. since the first time i opened Dreamweaver to the last time i viewed a flash website, very slowly of course, i've always felt that macromedia products were toys. i first used dreamweaver and flash about three years ago. before that, i had only used adobe products. all the macromedia stuff felt like a poorly built game, still does. yeah, it's become very powerful but just for windows. if you're on a mac do the right thing and use Adobe products. a wise man once said; "there is no mac in macromedia". oh yeah, that was me.