Macrovision updates its copy-protection technology

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pablo, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Pablo macrumors regular

c|net

2. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

3. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

It’s a forgone conclusion: There will be a hack for this within a year. If nothing else Linux doesn’t have DRM WMA support so it’s a given. The tighter their grip the more customers will slip through their fingers and head pirated downloads or iTunes.

4. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I just purchased a bunch of music CDs in a retail store. I used to do this on a weekly basis but as copy protection becomes more common I am buying far fewer CDs than I used to. Why bother with the worry that a particular CD may have copy protection or the hassle of finding a way to defeat the protection when I can easily find the music online?

I want to be able to play the music I buy where and when and in the way I choose. I may want to make a compilation CD or MiniDisc for personal use or even include tracks as part of a playlist stored on a hard drive. Copy protection and digital rights management schemes interfere with my ability to use my electronics and digital music in the manner of my own choice. If my choices become limited by idiotic protection schemes that reduce the value of a purchase I respond by saving my money.

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I think we're still seeing the record companies fighting a losing battle against new technology. Rather than adapt, they're hell-bent on maintaining the status quo - even though itms (and now some imitators) has tried to drag them kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Certainly most on-line music stores prior to itms used models that were backwards-looking instead of embracing the future.

This macrovision scheme will be broken, just like its predecessors. Sheesh, sometimes it seems like they are forcing otherwise law-abiding people into breaking the law! What are non-Windows users supposed to do with their legally-purchased "CD"s?

6. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Once people get into the habit of circumventing copy protection for music and software they legally own for one reason or another there is little to stop them from doing the same with media they don't own. If its easy to do, its almost legal in the minds of many people.