Macrumor experience by Mymemory

Discussion in 'Community' started by mymemory, Mar 14, 2005.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Hi guys

Well, it is monday and I am taking a short break to write a few lines around here.

A few weeks ago I was suspended from the site, I realized then was because I had to reply to some IM from some moderators and I didn't, I didn't know I had to, I thought they were telling me their point of view and I took it and that was it.

But that is not the point, actually I have been writting and shering and so one in this site for... 3 years maybe? almost every day. But the week of suspension halped me so much in dealing more with my real life environment, it was actually agod birthday present after all. As I am new in the US and I have been adapting for a year now Isolation play tricks in my mind and I was way to involved in this community and others as well and for sure not as much as many people here.

I do like everybody around here and the general atmosphere but I feel I have been "unplugged" for some reason and I needed bad that change.

I am writting this because I have seen threads about if "Macrumors is good or bad" and "how long you spend here" and things like that. Macrumors is fine and our frequent presence is what it make it a familiar community but in no case it can replace our phisical and real life, it is very adictive as many other good sites around the web.

The good thing is that I can show up and see those familiar "faces" every once in a while but keeping some distance from the web is the way to go I think.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Perspective is a good thing.
    Glad it was a good experience for you and that you are taking positives from it.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
  3. Darwin macrumors 65816

Jun 2, 2003
    round the corner
    I think we all need a good dose of reality from time to time
  4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Welcome back, mymemory.

Yeah, I went through a similar phase about 4 years ago. I was spending every waking hour on the internet with an online g/f. Neglecting family, friends, and the Real World. Then I did a full rebound and avoided the internet chats completely. Now that I've gone through both extremes, I'm able to balance myself and chat online in moderation. I still give priority to the RL, though, which is how it should be. :)
  5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    indeed, balance and moderation is all that is needed

apply moderation to just about every aspect of your life and you will see dramatic changes, usually for the best, extremes are usally never good

plus its a fundamental Buddist teaching :)
  6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Good to hear that your enforced break has helped give you a sense of perspective and that it has helped you gain a renewed appreciation for other important events and people in your world.

MR can be a part of your life, but it's not all of your life...
  7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    Heretic! :eek:
  8. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Saw the thread title and headed right over to see what incendiary remarks were being bandied about. Surprised and happy to see a very reasonable topic being amicably discussed. :)
    I've been a MR member for less than a year and don't use any other forums, so this is pretty much the extent of my online community life. I have been at the point where I was waking up thinking about what was going on here, and feeling like I had to get online to check it out. After MWSF, I decided I had let things get a bit out of hand, so I have made a conscious effort to spend a little less time here. I think it is important to have a healthy balance, and I'm glad you have arrived at the same point, mymemory.
  9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Can't say I agree with that too much.... ;)

Good to see this thread Mymemory, I hope you continue in this manner here at MR for a long while to come.

It's a special place on the 'net, not too many of those around.