MacRumor Username

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ensign Paris, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Hi

I was just wondering how people came up with their MacRumor usernames.

Mine came when I needed a name for my pilot on the game Escape Velocity and at the same time I got interested in Star Trek: Voyager.;)

Ensign Paris' Homepage - http://starbase64.brooklineuk.com/
    EV (O) Website - http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evo/
    StarTrek - http://www.startrek.com/

and just out of interest, if u r walkin around any Mac show I will most probably be wearing my Ensign Paris shirt!

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

eyelikeart

My username came about when I was in school about 5 years ago. I was signing up for aol and needed a screen name....wanted it to have something to do with art. After a number of attempts, eyelikeart became the winner. I've used it in the past for freelance purposes (eye design for a company name) and for just about every username for every website I've been on in the past 5 years.

honestly....the green eye avatar isn't my logo....I just thought it looked cool :p

3. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I promoted my self a few months back to Commander Paris but then realised that it was stupid because I would have to recreate all my usernames! So therefore I remained as Ensign.

Recently I have started to become just Ensign.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've noticed that on these forums....it's easier to just abbreviate the names here.....they like calling me "eye" I've noticed....

5. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Mischief was a geekhouse alias.

Some nice looking Geek-ettes in SC at the time. Particularly in the buff in that black-bottom pool........Things have change dramatically but the site is still up: [url:http://www.darkwater.com]

One of the other regulars called herself Temptation. I was razzing her for being a tease and implied that Mischief goes where Temptation fears to tread.

Hey, you're only Young and Stupid once. I also have a reputation for being rather intolerant of Darwin-bait and rather vocal about my oppinions. I also have a rather warped sense of humor, as a result: Mischief was born. I was using it before the above incident but it really stuck afterward.

6. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

thats pretty cool! I am still young and always will be stupid.

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Thanx Paris. A little advice:

Don't let those sort of chix get you all freaked out. It's all about power, they like watching you get frustrated. Once you see how shallow they are and stop caring about their approval the game reverses. They can be quite amusing to watch when they can't get you enthralled. :D

Evil, but turnabout is always fair.

I occasionally went by Darkangel but the TV show killed that. All of a sudden my 14' RIFTs character was just me in drag. Bummer.

8. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Generically assigned...

...by a government agency's algorithm.

Actually, my username is almost that boring. It was the name I was assigned at college. First letter of my first name, first letter of my middle name, first six letters of my last name. I use it now without even thinking about it.

This forum is actually the first that I've really cared about having a better username. But when I investigated the possibility of changing it, I couldn't find a way to do it. And I'm not losing my 130+ posts!!! Almost a third of the way to an avatar.

Matthew

9. quanta macrumors member

my name is...

My first "handle" was from Compuserve back in 94 and i was Big Bear, kind of a nod to the whole citizen band radio stereotype, but then i got interested in physics (armchair theory) and the handle of quanta came to be. For the most part i've been able to maintain it as my own at virtually every use necessary, although there are a few who are out there sharing. i was very relieved to sign up here and make it my own.

quanta refers to the singular, a static jump from one energy level two another in an electron, or more metaphysically to a leap of logic....

ah yes.

10. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

:) interesting thread, so ill join in the chant.

i had a AIM screenname that involved a chicken. Looked for a buddy icon and found a little yellow chicken trying to fly.

A friend of mine said it looked like a lemon trying to fly... and ambitiouslemon. later the friend became a hot and dirty lemon (after a joke about using hot and dirty ether in a synthesis experiment), and another friend became a lemon full of hate (cuz he thought the lemon thing was stupid). i kinda hung on to my name.

When it came time to make my website, i used AmbitiousLemon (easy to draw a lemon right?). And i use lemon now and then along with a dozen or so other aliases. i think evil knows another of my aliases.

11. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

mine real tough...

Ptrauber...Peter Trauber. Sometimes I don't like giving out my whole name, but here I don't mind.

I also sometimes use Lighting, because a long time ago, in a highschool band far far away...

My nickname was going to be Lightning because of this joke I didn't get, but on our first album cover my singer misspelled it "Lighting".

My only other is menoinjun because my retarted friends think that I am part native american, and ME NO INJUN. ( I dont mean to be racist )

-Pete

12. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

obvious...

i don't know exactly why it's frEEk instead of EA. probably so that it wouldn't interfere with other screen names on AIM? i don't know
    but i use it for everything. i've had it for probably two or three years. in the past, i've had DarkChicken5778, mebad5778, and rdevitt (Ryan Devitt; still have it for my less-used, service provider provided e-mail account - only because everyone still has it in thier address books).

i don't think i'll change this one though :) !

13. rEd Eye macrumors regular

rEd Eye

3:30 am,still staring at my VGA monitor,this happens to you too!
    (a.k.a.burnt brain)

14. Ossa macrumors newbie

Whats in a name...

Ossa is the spirit of rumours in greek mythology, thought it would be kind of cool to use it!

15. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

16. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Cause i fight against principalities of darkness in both the spiritual realm and the computer realm.

17. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Mymemory, in early 1997 I was looking for a name for my hotmail address (mymemory@hotmail.com), I didn't want to have a numbre like rei57 or something (my name is Reinaldo). So, basictly a few years before I saw the movie Blade Runners and I was very shock with what the replicant said to Harrison Ford something like: "I saw a starship on fire, I saw manny things that are gonna be lost after I die, manny things that are just in my memory..." that was why he saved Harrison Ford live, becuse he was unique. After that I realise that the memory of the humman been is the most important thing after life it self.
    You can realize that when you find and old friend and remind you what you both did togather afew years ago that you didn't remember, or when you rember that line that some one told you once that changed your life and that person even forgot he said that.
    I think the memories are the records of your life, of your existance.

Some day each of us are gonna leave this planet and people are gonna remember us every time less, during every generation until we became just a name in a family tree far far away until we are not in any body elses memory any more, our jokes, our tales, our achivments will not longer exist.

For me my memory is very special because I have see things that no one elses have before. To get lost in time is the big risk. I will feel good enough fixing the portion of this planet that is around me, too much trouble to exist in every bodys memory now days.

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

my friend and i had a series of comedy tapes and jef and hatfield were characters on those tapes, so i combined the two names to make one name, jefhatfield

mischief, i like your geek house...i sometimes go to parties at a geekhouse near monterey sometimes and i am from a generation where nerd and geek meant the same thing and our anthem of a movie was "revenge of the nerds"...in those days, geeks did all their coding with command lines and there was no gui

in a way, kiva house, a nudist resort in santa cruz on water street, is kind of a geek house at times when all the programmers who work over the hill in silicon valley all show up at the same time and talk techie stuff in the hot tubs...the girls feel very safe there and kiva has a friendly atmosphere

19. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

20. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

are u going to put everyone on the spot with that question? ;)

21. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

heh. sorry. didnt realize i was doing that. i guess i figured if there is anyone over 500 posts on here without one...im curious as to why they dont have one yet.

is there a spot on here for an avatar patrolman???:D

22. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

:p I would venture to say u created the position for yourself....congratulations....

oh....and it won't be too long before u have an avatar under your name as well....have anything cool in mind?

23. iMax macrumors member

24. barvow macrumors member

When my sons were little I told them bedtime stories of a flying dog called Barvo Walker. (Somehow they ended up fairly well-adjusted.) Anyway, the name outlived the stories, and became a sort of inside joke in our family. I mainly used it because I knew that one of my sons might see it while perusing this site and would know it was me.

25. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

My name

My name came to me when I first visited this site. I thought wow other people who shared my views! So since I am so obssesed with Mac I called myself Macmaniac!
    I am obssessed I am here everyday!
    I read mac magazines all the time
    I worship APPLE
    I own Apple stock
    I argue about macs every day
    I own 2 macs
    I have a CUBE poster form MWNY in my room
    I collect Mac pamphelets
    I am out of CONTROL!
    RESTRAIN ME!