MacRumors - a collection of other rumor sites

Discussion in 'Community' started by Porshuh944turbo, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Porshuh944turbo macrumors 6502

Am I right to say that MacRumors is pretty much a one-stop shop compilation of all other rumor sites out there (Loop, MB, TS, etc..) and general news or random findings of strange occurrences that could support these rumors. Now don't get me wrong.. I love having one site I can go to and know that I can generally get the synopsis of the rumor world in about 5 minutes...

but....

I think sometimes many users here give other rumor sites a hard time and refer to MR as the diety in rumor sites... but I say that since MR rarely sticks its neck out with genuinely original rumor info, it is more prone to having a higher accuracty.. (if you never shoot, you can't miss)

I know there are times (around major conferences) that MR does mention their sources as saying one thing is for sure or not prior to it happening, but generally this is only a few hours before we all find out anyway...

I am not trying to diss arn and MR, but I just think it is strange to read the wrap-ups and this and that about a certain site being "somewhat accurate in the past" or "take this with a grain of salt" after quoting another rumor site who had the guts to put their rep on the line over their own sources....

I think that without the loop, ts, mb and other rumor sites, MR would be just a news site...

(ts=think secret, mb=macbiddouille, loop=looprumors)

I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on these comments.. they are truly genuine, not a rant, and not a bash.. just a true feeling of what I see here on MR..

<strapping on flame suit for those who post before they truly think about what I've said>

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i like the accuracy of this site instead of the register

appleinsider has been pretty good, though conservative at times

i have been told that sometimes macfixit gives out good hints

and of course there is macworld and the other mac magazines

3. Porshuh944turbo thread starter macrumors 6502

jethatfield,

perfect first person to reply... one of the longest mr memberships ever.. probably the longest.... thanks for posting

but see what you said, "I like the accuracy of this site..."

my question is, what has this site submitted to us that wasn't from another site... what percentage of material is here that is truly original?

It's genius really! arn has it figured out and has done well with this site, but can you say that he is accurate? I don't think so, not unless you mean that his accuracy lies in his ability to filter through the bs and give us the truth (from the other sites) but I think that you cannot say MR is accurate in providing original content and compare it to other sites...

look at the others.. register, loop, etc.... do they quote the rest and say what they think about it? no. they give you what they get from their sources. Most of them filter through pretty well, but not 100%, but that should be expected.. again.. shoot more, miss more..

I see MR as a different type of rumor site... it's like the late show of rumors.. they bring us the stories of all the other journalists out there (other rumor sites) and give us their spin on it.

4. Dignan macrumors 6502a

Dignan

Lets not forget the MR original rumor of 12 and 17 inch powerbooks that everyone else missed.

Thats my 2 cents.

5. Porshuh944turbo thread starter macrumors 6502

How much advance did they give before the products came out on that one.. (I don't remember)

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: MacRumors - a collection of other rumor sites

Heh... well, perhaps it's appropriate I reply my perspective on this... and you may take from it what you will.

The first issue is one of perspective. I agree that MacRumors' exists to a large part because of other rumor sites. But I don't necessarily think MacRumors is in direct competition with the other rumor sites. The goal of MacRumors has always been to sort through all the information to try to find out what's going on. It's not about entertainment so much as "the truth", to sound melodramatic. :)

Now, some people have commented that they feel the wrap ups are harsh... but the goal of the wrap ups has never been to make our site look better than others. And we don't try to take credit for other people's rumors.

All that is reported is which rumors are correct and which are incorrect. If a site doesn't want to be told that it keeps posting incorrect rumors -- then the solution is simple: Post correct rumors, or stop posting incorrect ones.

"putting your neck out" does not make a site or source better. Should I (or anyone) like a site more because they keep putting their neck out? No, not if they are consistently wrong.

The other thing to remember is that we may not post groundbreaking original rumors every few days... but every story, and especially every round-up contains all information from all available sources (public and private), and the roundup is influenced by these all.

Reread the WWDC Roundup. Here's what was mentioned:

- PowerMac 970
    - NOT Shipping
    - Demos and Introduction Expected
    - Hypertransport, DDR 400, USB 2.0, AGP 8x
    - "silver and graphic color" cases, 4 handles, flourished by mesh metallic surface
    - 2004 target date for970 Powerbooks
    - User at Center, Fast user switching
    - Doubts of Piles making it into Panther
    - New iChat, Apple Camera

Was I lucky? Was it obvious? I'll tell you, it wasn't obvious when I was writing it. There were tons of rumors that were eliminated, and didn't make it into the roundup... and it wasn't arbitrary.

arn

7. iMax531 macrumors member

MR

I know my membership is new but I have been an avid visitor of this website for almost two years now.

It is in my opinion, without doubt the best "Mac Rumor" site on the web. arn does a truly terrific job of sifting through the tons of information that is out there, with 90% of it being crap that people pull out of thin air, and the rest being actual information with some real world value.

MR isn't as much about making its own predictions and being the "best rumor site" in terms of guesses as it is a hub of the mac rumor web. This is the site where most rumors get collected, get compared and checked by many people for probability and reality.

On occasion, arn has his own sources which, over time, have proven to be extremely accurate. The rest of this content is made up of rumors from sites with different degrees of accuracy in their track records. And so the value of this website, and this is what gives it far more value than any other site, is that this is truly a forum to discuss these rumors and news articles.

What arn does in his roundups, which I find to be terrific, is give an honest rundown of who got what right, and equally as important, who got what wrong. This allows us to sort out the good info from the bs and be more educated in our rumormongering. Whether any of that really matters is a personal judgement for you to make.

Anyway, all in all, blah blah blah, this is hands down the best site in the Mac rumor web, and maybe one of the best in the general Mac web because of its layout, content, and users. You should all, especially arn, consider yourself proud.

-Max

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

But what is your opinion of a site which is nearly 100% wrong?

arn

9. Porshuh944turbo thread starter macrumors 6502

Like spymac???? they are worthless.

I think there is a medium in there that makes a site respectable. If you are 100% right, all the time, then you probably aren't taking enough risk, whereas like spymac, where you shoot off crap that is fake and you know it, then you get no respect..

Okay.. I am glad you said this. I agree with you arn. I think that the purpose of MR and goal is to filter through the rest and provide a service of these-are-the-rumors-after-removing-the-crap method. The only thing I don't like is seeing some people bash the other sites for getting certain things "wrong" when actually perhaps the things they reported were just delayed at the last minute or whatever...

Saying that MR is not comparable or in competition to the rest is very accurate. MR is not the same type of site, but lots of people don't realize this and it bugs me.. that's what this is about...

10. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Arn's way of running this site is the very reason I came here, and that I have stayed. Not only because of the great mods he has picked, and his strict rules, but because we don't get all of the "fluff". If a rumor makes it to page 1, then I know Arn has something he knows or feels pretty strong about.

I remember the iWalk, MOSR's continual misses on release dates (I mean, really, how many times can you say "any day now"), MacWhispers continual tablet claims, AI's continual revisions, etc. Maybe he does wait until close to release time, but I would rather have that and some info I can rely on than to see someone update their prediction 8 times before they finally find out they were totally wrong.

MR is the "deity" of these sites because it is not prone to have deliberate misinformation for site hits, nor childish idiots spewing profanity all over the boards.

My 2¢

Regards,
    Gus

P.S. Interesting thread by the way.

11. Porshuh944turbo thread starter macrumors 6502

This is why I am here too, and I respect arn for this, but i don't know... sometimes it just seems that people diss the other sites because the do stick their necks out and sometimes get things wrong...

i guess it was good to hear arn's point of view about this, and I think I agree with his methods and ideas about the sight. Thanks for sharing with us arn.

12. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Heh... I actually have no hard feelings towards Spymac... and their Webmaster seems to be very nice. They're not very rumor-oriented these days, but they did report on real rumors in the day. There are just a lot of people who never got past the iWalk thing. :)

arn

13. Porshuh944turbo thread starter macrumors 6502

My other question, arn, is do you have your own set of reliable sources that you get info from? I am pretty sure you do, but, do how often do you hear from them, how often do they give you information? (if you can answer that)

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yeah, i think Arn does have his own sources. or it's macrumors members that have sources then report back here to everyone.;) i'm pretty sure that there would have to be sources inside Apple, IBM, Moto... right Arn? ;) :D

seriously, are there any sources inside Apple? i know because of NDA's and all that sort of stuff that it would be risky... but there has to be someone in there that can't keep their mouth shut.:p :)

15. Porshuh944turbo thread starter macrumors 6502

I would think so too, but I don't know if they are reporting here, to arn... but i could be wrong.

16. Porshuh944turbo thread starter macrumors 6502

From the WrapUp

this was good, but was it arn saying this? or was it someone else?

MB did a good job with this one.
    and Apple Insider was right on with
    I think we are okay (as arn apparantly feels) to put some faith in this...
    And Think Secret was right about iChat AV and the Apple Camera that they reported on June 4!

So I guess I'm okay with how this turned out... I was just worried that arn and others would be offended for referring to MacRumors as a collective of the actual sourced-rumor sites which have done an excellent job bring us the goods.. And yes.. they will occasionaly get things off, but that goes with the game. ANd if they weren't there, MacRumors would be less exciting to come to. Arn always has a good write up and very good composition with his compilations of the other sites. ANd I do agree that he gives credit where it is due. So good job arn. I know you don't need my accreditadion, but maybe others were wondering all this too. I know I see members here laugh at the other sites because of certain things they report, but I think we must all realize the importance of those sites. They make up MR as much as we do, the users.

17. legion macrumors 6502a

I think macsurfer is the best "sum up of all mac rumour sites and mac info sites."

MacRumors, on the otherhand, actually seems to have a sense of perspective (both the postings and the posters.) It's nice to see a Mac site that is not drunk on Apple kool-aid. Plus, most of the posters seem to have backgrounds in a variety of fields and have used multiple types of hardware and platforms which usually results in informative posts.

The direct opposite of MacRumors would be a site like MacDailyNews. That site seems to attract posters from 12 to 16 years old; completely juvenile. They never have any perspective so most of the info there is regurgitations of whatever S.Jobs said last or the "official" Apple position (buzzwords and all.) In the end, it's just good for a laugh (though sometimes I just want to post "whip it out already and be done with it" or "GtFU!" (I'm not going to explain the acronymn to be polite in case of mixed company)

18. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I find it odd that mention LoopRumors along with ThinkSecret. Its kind of obvious that ThinkSecret has atleast a decent source (iPod drawing and all those cools names for everything that seem to be accurate) but I don't see that kind of accuracy in LoopRumors. They also tend to borrow content from other sites except in different ways. Arn is one of the most respectuful sites to others, He doesn't read a story about Bono buying Job's apartment, paraphrase other articles and write his own, when nothing better can be said.... he just quotes a well written article and links.

LoopRumors did a section about Panther questions ...most of those answers were here in the forums a week before they got done with the FAQ and FAQ's about beta release software aren't really going out on any limbs.

I think what you have to look at is the different styles of the sites. Some sites have actual sources (TS and MacRumors) that submit when they get information, its not always steady (meaning they don't get updates on the item everyday) but when they come in they are dead on. Other sites are playing the part of fortune teller. Sites like LoopRumors for example remind me of a South Park episode where the boys found out what a scam people who supposedly talked to ghosts were (Jon Edwards) ....He would say things like "You argued about money yes?" because lots of people aregue about money, or "You had issues you wanted to resolve before he died" because that happens too....LoopRumors is more like "You will see iMacs soon yes?" or "we expect new powerbooks soon because the gods are resteless" the take things that seem obvious and make predictions based on that....

Lets also not forget who started promoting their site here
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14792
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14897

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's the proverbial "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."

20. wendel macrumors newbie

(long time reader, short time poster)

It kills me when people ask, or sometimes demand arn for his sources.

First rule of Fight Club - don't talk about Fight club.

And Porshuh944turbo, I think you missed the whole point about the roundup. WHY did those items get posted to the roundup? Why did Looprumor's note about "doubts that piles" is coming get bolded in the roundup, when little else from Looprumors (which isn't accurate) got posted at all? And it happened to be something that turned out to be true?

arn already told us

you just weren't listening.

21. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Unlike many sites on the Mac web that just re-write articles from the rest of the Mac web and post them as original content, MacRumors always gives credit where credit is due. If a source site is incorrect on something, they get credit for that same as if they were right, and are equally as accountable. If a source site is wrong most of the time, I've always felt MacRumors does a good job of pointing that out simply as an observation rather than as a slam, and often backs up the observation with specific examples. That's not "dissing," that's a responsible attempt to educate readers on the relative accuracy of a given source.

I think anyone reading this site for long enough would understand that it's not so much an original rumors site as a rumors digest, and that implies that there will be filtering and evaluation going on. And anyone who keeps reading is going to do so because they feel that MacRumors does a good job of this. I value MacRumors as a one-stop shop that keeps track of the accuracy record of the various rumor sites so I don't have to.

22. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

Collection, also directed traffic

In addition to being the "digest" of rumor sites, it also serves to direct traffic to those sites as well. By Arn's linking to his sources (their stories), many readers here will click through to those sites helping them out as well, as they get revenue (however small) from pageviews with ads.

In this manner, the other sites should not consider macrumors to be "competition" as it is actually sort of helping them out.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

My first response to this thread was - "yeah, so?"

And you know what, coming back to it now, I still feel that way. Not that there had to be a point to this, but... was there a point to this?

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i think guessing about what apple will introduce is quite easy

apple didn't have an mp3 player....someone could have guessed that and said they would have one

when the G4 started to gain prominence because of altivec, somebody somewhere would guess that the imac would get the processor

speed bumps and 1 ghz barrier/point was bound to be reached in some desktops and laptops made from apple

and bigger lcd screens on stand alone screens and/or laptops was bound to be made...and they were

and guess what? one day, apple will have a G5 laptop...and prices, on many items, based on speed and power and ram, will fall...yes, i said... fall

and ram prices, will...fall:p