MacRumors blows up my Safari!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by MatthewCobb, Jan 12, 2006.

1. MatthewCobb macrumors regular

Three times I've tried to read the forum on iWork06, and three times my Safari has blown up. Other forums seem fine. What are you hiding in there?

(And yes I have got 10.4.4 with snappier, zippier, exactly-the-same Safari 2.0.3)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. MatthewCobb thread starter macrumors regular

Ho-ho. "about" not "on", There is a forum entitled "Apple Releases iWork '06 (72)". It makes Safari go "bing" and I think there are a bunch of lizard-like aliens in there discussing how to take over the world. Either that or there's something odd about the forum (or my Safari). But which?

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That thread works fine for me. My iMac's fan speeds up for a second, but nothing crashes/beachballs/bings. Try repairing permissions (in Disk Utility).

5. MatthewCobb thread starter macrumors regular

I did that this morning to get over that damn Word "font is damaged" nonsense which reappeared during its mis-named "font menu optimization" process following the installation of 10.4.4, but here goes again.

For what its worth, repairing permissions does seem to be the equivalent of "kissing it better"...

6. MatthewCobb thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, no luck. Hang, a flashing Beachball of Death, then Safari Implosion and a polite invitation to tell the folk at Apple what happened.

What IS being talked about in that forum?

This happen to anyone else (PB 15 titanium 1ghz)?

7. MatthewCobb thread starter macrumors regular

OK, now I'm getting annoyed. It's STILL doing it, but clearly other people aren't having the same problem - two more of those suspected alien lizards have posted in there since I first went bing (the count's up to 74).

8. szark macrumors 68030

szark

That's a strange issue. It could be an advertisement that is somehow causing it to crash.

See if you can go directly to Page 2 or Page 3.

9. MatthewCobb thread starter macrumors regular

Yes and Yes. Thanks! I'll just have to payout those $25 and become a MacRumors contributor!

Now - what have those lizards been saying about Keynote 3? ....

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I was thinking the same thing. Matthew, test your Java and Flash.

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If you don't find anything wrong with Flash and/or Java (like Nermal suggested), just surf with plugins disabled in Safari. Safari preferences -> Security. (Or just switch to Firefox, which doesn't crash of course... ;)).

12. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Do you have the plugin P***H***** installed (cannot write it out, hope you know what I mean)? This crashed my Safari, too, so I got rid of it.

13. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I have the exact same computer, 10.4.4 and have had no problem with that thread (just checked it again before posting this).

14. MatthewCobb thread starter macrumors regular

Java is up to date, Flash is 7,0,24,0 , so no problem there either...

Can't test the problem anymore because the link has gone from the front page! (I have read the forum, no aliens, will buy iWork 06)

I don't have the P****H****** plug-in installed, Veldek (and no I don't know what it is!)

Faintember doesn't have the same problem, but we know that ads are country-based, and although Manchester used to be the City of Cotton, it isn't any more and I suspect the land of cotton isn't the UK, in which case, we aren't seeing the same ads...

Looks like it's just one of those mysteries.... Thanks for the help!