Macrumors Broken?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Chaszmyr, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I did a search and couldn't find anything about this problem, which implies that it is some sort of problem that is isolated to me or a select few.

Anyway, every time I come back to MacRumors in Safari it makes me log back in. I've tried deleting the macrumors cookies and emptying the cache but it doesn't fix the problem. Firefox on the other hand will stay logged in. In both Firefox and Safari, however, when logged in I don't have access to the private forums. Any ideas about what could be wrong?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Sorry, but I have to ask only because it's the 31st of December:
    Did you renew your subscription?

3. Chaszmyr thread starter macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

if not accompanied by the problem with not staying logged in I probably would have figured this out... but I feel a little bit stupid nonetheless :p Though, I do have some recollection of subscriptions being made permanent, did I dream that or did the policy revert?

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, when the system changed back in May (I think it was) a free extension was given to all subscribers until today. Yours may have just expired...

I don't believe that Arn has yet become that generous by offering lifetime memberships for US$25. :)

5. Chaszmyr thread starter macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Ah, I see now. Thanks for the help. I renewed and everything is working fine again :)

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yay! I now see the Demi-ness back next to your name.
    Welcome back out of the cold. :D

7. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I lost my Demi status today even though I was automatically billed. (see thread in Demi forums). Then Arn refunded the automatic billing (don't know why) and now I'm Demi-less.

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

back to my civillian status, it was fun for a while

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We don't intend to have any automatic billing. Renewals should be done annually by those who want to retain their membership. Anybody who is auto-billed should let us know so we can reverse it.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

doesn't it go a year from the date of purchased demi-ness?

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it does. but things were altered a bit when the contributions were closed and then re-opened.

12. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Demi-ness/Contributor status should last a year from contribution.

Previously we accepted contributions manually and then modified peoples access privileges manually. This became a bit tedious and we sort of stopped accepting contributions, or it was very limited for a whiel.

Sometime mid-year, we implemented an automated system through the forum software. ( http://forums.macrumors.com/payments.php ) This system does NOT bill you automatically on a yearly basis. Instead a reminder message is sent near the time of expiration.

We extended existing contributors subscriptions until the end of 2005... which should have covered everyone and given everyone at least a full year.

- If you got less than year, let me know
    - RDown's recurring Paypal subscription was a relic from the previous system
    - If you still have a recurring subscription ($20 from PayPal), it will not automatically extend your Demi-god status. email me if you have this. I'll try to close those recurring Paypal subscriptions as they are processed.

arn