Macrumors Convention?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BigPrince, Mar 18, 2007.

1. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Has anyone thought it would be cool to have a Macrumors Covention similar to Macworld?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

What exactly would we do there? MacRumors certainly doesn't have the resources to put on a trade show, particularly when things are already well served by the current offerings.

We've had some regional meet-ups (including one at MacWorld SF this year), but a full-fledged "convention" seems a bit much to me.

3. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I think UK members have an annual picnic that sounds like quite the gathering...

Not sure if it would work here in the U.S. Too many members in too many different places - and we're not willing to fly anywhere (unlike Macworld) :)

4. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

I think I read somewhere that we have a following of 100k members...if we could get just 10% to be interested we could potentially be able to plan something.

Problem would be planning it I guess since it would probably be to costly to hire someone to organize it, unless here at MR we have these types of planners...I think it would be a neat idea to at least consider. I was at Macworld this year but I missed the MR meetup :(.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

10,000 people? No way.

Only just over 4000 people here have posted at least 100 times here, so you've got a vast majority of people who aren't exactly significantly invested in the site. They're not going to fly from all around the world for a MR convention, whatever that might entail.

6. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

I didn't realize it was so "low", 4,000 is still impressive, not sure where I got the silly idea that we had over 100k.

Oh well, it will live in my dreams lol.

Do people from these forums go to WWDC?

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We have had over 100,000 people register for the forums, but the vast majority of them have posted very few times, if at all. (The 100,000 includes the spammers as well, although they may be interested in attending if they don't have to pay for a booth.)

Yes, people from here do go to WWDC, but not that many. The price tag is a bit steep for random non-developers to go, but there are some professional developers here for whom it is worthwhile to attend.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

There is the annual London Picnic, the Las Vegas meet-up is currently being planned for this summer, and there are always meet-ups at MWSF and WWDC. I think that's adequate. Organizing anything else would just be a logistical nightmare - picking a date that everyone is free and a location that is actually feasible for members since we're scattered all over the world. Plus the cost of air travel! The result would be a low turn-out. :cool:

9. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

10. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Anything for New York at the Central Park west entrance by the cube?

11. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

how's about a meet up near the red dirt road 5 hills past the ol' oak tree and right across from Mr. Crumbacker's corn field? Any takers?

12. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

That would be cool.

13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I know there is a "netter's dinner" held at the same time as macworld where people from the various d-lists and stuff get together to have dinner one night.

14. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

So. Honestly?

I was thinking about this while I was shoveling yestereday (cue collective unconscious, whatever). About an international MR meetup. And how it could possibly be funded. And how much I'd love to meet so many of you.

Then I realized how bad I am at organizing things. And how good I am at ideas vs. how bad I am at follow through. So, then I thought "Maybe I can rope BV into doing this for me. She's good at this stuff."

Then I shoveled some more, content with the idea of how impossible the possibility would be.

Unless we all did some inventive panhandling ... er ... merchandising ...

:eek:

15. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

Simultaneous "conventions" held throughout the world at exactly the same time via video conference lol.

16. iBenzin macrumors member

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

18. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Isn't that kinda what a forum is?

19. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I've always been in favor of regional gatherings, with webcasts where we could talk to each other.

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Ditto that feeling. It would be incredible to get that to happen. Alas, you're right, timing and funding, as well as organizing would be quite the tasks. :p

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

But iChat is in real time....the forum can do that, but most often its post, wait a little, then see what people said. Good for getting lots of people to take part in, but not as personal.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well why not look into a meet, central US somewhere maybe or check user stats see how far off we're all spread and pick something central there. Upon meeting we just do our thing, hang out meet and such and maybe a small gift bag. For another site I used to frequent we managed to poll together roughly 100 people who flew in on their own dime. We hung out had a few people in the group who were pros with what they did lead little discussions..all voluntary. However, at the end we managed to give away gift bags that were worth about $300. We called merchants who would benefit from our arrival and called companies that had things we were interested in (photography). We gave away free food vouchers to be used that weekend and such. The gift bag had a panoramic software program ($50 value), 10 pack b/w film (yes this was a while ago), voucher from fuji to have 5 rolls developed, etc etc. Stuff like that. It was a good value and really people just met up and had fun.

23. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

maybe i am not so far fetched idealistic dreamer :)

24. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hi all,

Interesting idea. I think the best way to organize something like this would be to coordinate it with a real Apple event. Like Macworld San Francisco... or perhaps one of the international Mac events. That way, there's an excuse for people to go.

Next year at MWSF, we'll organize something more official.

arn

25. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

I look forward to it already. How much does a booth cost? I would definitely be willing to contribute for a booth and with so many of us, I think we could come up with the funds to support it.