Macrumors Convention.....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Backtothemac, May 7, 2002.

?

Would you attend a MacRumors Convention

1. Heck yea, that would be a blast

14 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. Maybe, if I could get the money together

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. Not a chance in.... well you know were

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I am sure that this has been thought of before, but what the hey. Wouldn't it be cool to have a MacRumors Convention? We could all pick a location in the central US that way everyone would have to go the same distance, or to a party town like New Orleans (Gotta plug Eyes hometown). Rent a conference hall at a Hotel, and invite Steve of course. That would be just too funny if he actually showed. I bet that Woz would come. He would love something like that. Not to metion we could all put faces with the names.

Oh, I got dibbs on Cyrus if he were to Show ;)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Mmmmm.....maybe a little far to travel from here in London :D

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well, based on the recent women threads, you should also invite sarah michelle gellar (for several of the guys) and angelina jolie (for the guys and cloe)...

we all know they'd be happy to attend a geek festival, right? haha

4. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well we could do a MacRumors USA, MacRumors Europe, etc. etc. I really think it would be fun IF we could actually get someone to come. I have a contact at Apple that could help me try to persuade someone from there to come. They would probably send Phil. :eek:

5. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

here's a thought:

Let's sync it with the various MacWorlds and get a venue that's across the street or in the next hall...... we could hold a raffle: "guess what's in the Keynote" or "how many times does Steve say " Oh, and just one more thing" :D :D :D

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Macrumors Convention.....

It would probably be best in conjunction with MacWorld...

we could try to have people meet up at MacWorld expo's... unfortunately, I'm unable to attend MWNY this year.... I'll be working...

arn

7. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Anyone interested in meeting at Apple-Expo Paris?

Ensign

8. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

It would be cool to do it around a MacWorld, but New York and San Fran. Man, that would be tough for folks in the South. Hey, we could have a MacWorld Rumorville :D

It would be fun though to try to pull it off. Imagine the insanity.

Me chasing Cyrus with a baseball bat. Aztec and Alpha sizing up everyone. Jello, and Rower talking about significat others. Cleo chasing Angelina Jolie up times square. Eyes posting on his TiBook (he can't slip right)....

Oh my what a party!

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If we did get a convention together, Austrailia and Europe could show up via a webcam. Now that would be cool. Each continent could create a venue that would be easiest to get to for all involved.

I'd be up for doing this.

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

absolutely!!!

but I'm not so sure I'll be making it out to Paris...unless I got a killer deal? ;)

11. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Man...

I think it would be great!

I think MWSF is the only MacWorld I would be able to go to, but there are also conventions around here for the mac.

Anyways, maybe we could have a MacRumors booth! :D

Man, that would be so great....

12. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Yeah......that's a hell of a swim!

Hey! Maybe we'll luck out and the Woz'll volunteer to fly us poor nobody's out there! Then again it may just be time to open a window and get some fresh air in here.........:p

13. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I would invite you all to my sunny house in Miami FL once I get out of this nightmare.

I really would like to meet everyone.

By the way, is Cleo a girl or a guy? becuase I thought she is a girl, isn't?

14. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Yes, she is. Now, if you are still confused, you'll have to show ID before I explain it to you.

15. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Just to add to the confusion:

Cleo IS indeed a female and has the same taste in women as my wife.:D :eek: :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes:

16. spuncan macrumors 6502

Hmm pretty much any where cept Detroit is bad for me yet we have relatives in the bay area so we could make a side trip to MWSF/MRCSF. As for Miami I could get there by plane but just to go to someones house/hotel would be almost meaningless. So MWNY/MRCNY or MWSF/MRCSF would be the best bet for me. The idea of a booth is cool. We could have Plastic models of that years concepts set out.

17. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I wonder what Steve would think of a MacRumors booth? Can you just imagine the look on his face? I think it would be a riot! We would have to raise some dough to get the booth, but that would be a trip. Anyone who is in Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, and the Panhandle of Florida, lets get a MacRumors user group going on. Lets all form these in our areas, and begin to assimilate the clones to the good side of the force :D :D

18. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

You could see my man-tits in person :p No really, why not meet at MWNY I always hang out with my carracho buds there :p We could see if we could meet steve in a room. Then he would make a new comp called the "ibra" ok well you get the point.

19. big macrumors 65816

big

tuscaloosa? that's d*mn close to huntsville here, Im sure with all the space fanatics we would see several from north AL. though they're all engineers, and in now way as koo as architects!:D

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I vote we do it in Boston, back where the MacWorld expo was before they moved it to Boston. There are plenty of local Mac tech companies here that we could get to show up too. Actually, we could do it as a day thing, in one of the hotels in the burbs around Boston, where it would be cheaper. Adobe has done this before (I attended a seminar of theirs in Burlington, MA).

Of course, I would have to show up on my Harley. :D

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Re: Macrumors Convention.....

ever heard of calling in sick???? :p

hahaha. good observations. and perhaps we could find the nearest course and at least get in 9..... ha

22. BeerDrinker29 macrumors regular

Let's get a RUMOR BOOTH!

I know I'm always advocating that all rumor sites share and get along, and this is just another one of those messages: be warned :)

Now, there is no way MacRumors alone could afford a booth at an large mac show, that is, without someone going in the hole. IF, however, someone contacts ThinkSecret and Spymac (Maybe AI and MOSR? They seem kinda dead) to make this a group effort:

We would have no money problems. Even if all three sites just add an extra FASTCLICK banner to their site, pooled together it would be enough for a booth and some prizes.

There would be much more people, we could make more an impact.. and Steve would really be upset... hahah. It could be called the Rumor Booth or something.

All of the communities can meet, and then people will realize we all share the same love for macs :)

Whatya think?

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Re: Macrumors Convention.....

Look at some of the things we saw from MWTokyo, the G4 Kegerator? Mischief and AlphaTech would have to man the booth though. Some one should grab the ball and run with it and make a plan. I'm not really interested in taking the lead here, but I'd be willing to help. MWNY might be too soon, so MWSF could be doable. We'd need to get a sponsor though, any thoughts?

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Re: Re: Re: Macrumors Convention.....

i don't think i'd be able to make it to sf for the show, but i'd be able to support the following mwny (2003). as for sponsors... we could work out a deal with whatever station buffy is on these days for all the promotion they get on here. haha.

25. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Arn, you know everyone at the other sites... Lets all find a way to get a Rumors booth at a MacWorld. My wife is a designer and can build models of some of the beloved rumored, yet never materialized Macs. Man, it would really be a blast. Waddaya Think?