MacRumors FAQ Site - Mac Community, read this !

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DaveTheGrey, Feb 25, 2004.

1. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

Hi everybody,

why don´t Macrumors members make a site where all these faqs r answered ? :confused:

For example
    -how to defrag a mac
    -how to change icons
    -how to make a network
    and so on

I´m free for two months now and don´t know what to do...
    But I don´t want it to do on my own.
    What do you think ? :cool:

Dave

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

yeah, i guess

but would it just be another part of macrumors or should it be a site of its own. Mac newbies have some easy to answer questions like sharing a printer or something. They do need a spot where they can do a quick search for it and not get a thousand posts like you do here. But how to you convay this to the public, because mac newbies don't really know where to turn for answers, so how do we end up getting them to this website when they most likely wont find it on their own.

Only other thing, names, anyone got something good.
    turnonyourmac.com
    macfaq.com

3. DaveTheGrey thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

I thought a selfstanding webpage.
    Everytime a Macrumors Member asks a faq we post the link of the faqsite.
    The next time he´s got a question he will first go to the faq site.
    faqmac.com is free :cool:

Dave

4. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

That does sound like a nifty idea. Spymac hosting is pretty cheap.

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

good idea. :) but if people just spend a bit of time on the forums here you pick up alot of know-how.

also, something people often forget about is the search function.

alot of common questions have been discussed here and you can usually find an answer to these if you do a search.

an faqsite might be good for ultra-n00bs, but if you spend a bit of time browsing the boards you'll learn alot that way as well.

6. DaveTheGrey thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

7. m4rc macrumors 6502

I agree. It is sometimes hard to find the answer even when you have the right thread, especially if their are several opinions!

Surely a MacRumors one would be good??

Also, I find it really hard on the newbies when the regulars moan about seeing the same questions again and again, and tell them to search fo the answer. Not a nice introduction to this otherwise very friendly group.

Just my thoughts.

If Arn isn't interested, I can help with hosting. I don't have any of my own server space free just now, but I can get plenty at cost to you guys, if thats any help. I don't mind not making on it ;)

Marc

8. DaveTheGrey thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

thnx Marc,

hosting isn´t the problem.
    Finding the faqs and progging the site is what voluntarys are searched for.

Dave

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Why not just write up your own guide (like I did here :D) and just ask arn to "sticky" it if it's good enough.

10. DaveTheGrey thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

but writing for every little faq a guide ?

Guide for defragging:

How to defrag a Mac ?
    -> You don´t need to.
    End.

Dave

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I think it's a great idea

I switched a couple of months ago but although there's all the Apple stuff about switching in general. There's not very much about the 'how to' do things that you might be used to doing on your PC.

Yes, all the answers are on this forum or buried in Apple Help but under Mac terminology obviously rather than what newbies might search on

Things like
    'how do I do a screen grab'
    'use the + sign at the bottom of the window to add a new user/mail account'
    'don't rearrange your Applications folder into subones'

12. DaveTheGrey thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

http://kbase.info.apple.com/index.jsp?locale=en_US&sm=gs&dp=hp

defrag:
    your sollution:

Fragmentation occurs when files are deleted and created. For example, suppose you create three files, then delete the second one. If you save a fourth file, which is larger than the size of the second file, the Macintosh file system may put a portion of the fourth file in the space occupied by the second file, and put the remainder after the third file. To access the entire file, the system has to look in two places.

The file system used on Macintosh computers is designed to work with a certain degree of fragmentation. This is normal and does not significantly affect performance for the majority of users. You should not need to frequently defragment the computer's hard disk.

In reality, however, the nature of the files, the nature of the work you are doing, the nature of random-access disk mechanisms, and the exact order in which the files are segmented can all have a bearing on the resulting performance. In general, there is not significant degradation of performance from normal use of your computer.
    If you create and delete a large number of files, your hard disk may become fragmented to the point that you may see a slight slow-down of file system performance.

At this point you can either use third-party defragmenting software (see below), or back up your hard disk and use Apple Drive Setup to initialize the disk, then restore your files.

Warning: Reinitializing erases all the files on your hard disk. Make sure you have a complete backup because you will need to restore all your files once initialization is complete.

The defragmenting process generally results in a large amount of disk activity due to the amount of data being rearranged. Some disk defragmenting software packages also cannot completely recover if a critical portion of data on the hard disk should be in "transit" if the software fails. In this instance you may run the risk of losing that specific file, or all data on your hard drive.

You should keep a current backup of your hard disk, especially before using defragmentation software.

What third-party software can I use?

Apple does not endorse any single defragmenting utility, but you may wish to search for available third-party solutions in the Macintosh Products Guide (http://guide.apple.com/uscategories/productivity.lasso).

defrag:
    my solution:

you don´t have to defrag. :eek:

13. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

defrag...

I guess that was a pretty generic link. What I was trying to accomplish was that APPLE has an extremely extensive knowledge base that can be accessed by anyone. The answer to the original post could be found at that page, if a little investigative knowledge was put into it.
    OS X handles not having to defrag beacause modern day (OK any HD that is above 20gb) HDs can handle file sizes without having to "stuff information into every nook and cranny" as did earlier drives that wer much smaller. OSX does this buy "waiting" until there are sufficient fragments of unused space then "merges them together" in the background without you knowing it. Also there is a thing called "Journaling" (still not hep to this one) that is set on by defualt that helps in this process. By my understanding, it says "Bye-Bye" to Norton, or any other defrag utilities.
    I have run Norton utilities 7.0 on my G3 (now a G4-800) with the original 6gb HD and a 60gb Maxtor internal HD and every time it says there is no need to "Optimize" the 60gb but on occasion it shows minimum frags on the 6gb.
    I think Norton has been on my shlef for a year now and it will probably stay there.
    :>)

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's a good idea but getting people to read it before posting is a problem. This has been done in the Distributed Computing forum and people continue to post questions without reading the FAQ at the top of all threads.

If it's going to be done in a forum, it needs to be something that can only be changed by a moderator to avoid random posts within it. A FAQ discussion thread should go with it for changes to be discussed.

15. DaveTheGrey thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

and it should be formerly for switchers and noobs, just today i found a "How to change icons" thread in general panther discussions...

Dave

16. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

it's true that you might have to search through a massive thread to find what you're looking for...

but can't you search individual posts & then go to those posts? i'm not sure, don't have time to check the search function now. but if you can't do that then maybe the solution is an improved search function?

also, people have to do a bit of research themselves. they can't just expect to start a new thread then someone explain just to them how do do a simple thing (although most time someone will be kind enough to do so.)

i've found myself linking to Apple's KnowlegeBase numerous times because of simple questions that i know Apple has detailed documents about. sometimes it just gets annoying when people start a new thread because they're too lazy to go and find something for themselves.

simple solution: have a FAQ site, link lots of topics to Apple KB articles. then write seperate FAQ's for topics that Apple doesn't want people to know about. ;) :D