MacRumors forum Q: member status

Discussion in 'Community' started by ebow, Apr 3, 2003.

1. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Hi there,

Most users on these forums have statuses like "MacRumors Regular" or "MacRumors Demi-God" -- these make sense to me. But a nubmer of people have statuses like "MacRumors 68000" or "MacRumors 6502". Maybe it's only two heavy posters with these statuses, but still... --> What do they mean? :confused: It took me almost 2 years to get my a$$ out of "newbie" status, so I don't think I'll be moving up too soon, but still, it'd be nice to know. thanks!

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Taken from a similar thread:

Newbie = 0 - 29 posts
    Member => 30 posts
    Regular => 100 posts
    6502 => 500 posts + you can have avatar
    65816 => 1000 posts
    65832 => 1500 posts
    68000 => 1505 posts
    68010 => 2000 posts
    68020 => 2005 posts

Please search next time http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?s=

I have 718 posts, and I am therefore a 6502.

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you contribute, you become a demi-god... heh... I did it for the cool mug, which holds 16 oz of your favorite liquid (coffee).

I hope arn comes up with a new mug soon, so that I can get that one too... It would be nice to start a collection of MR mugs...

4. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: MacRumors forum Q: member status

The numbers refer to different processor's used by apple in the past. Starting with 6502 (500 posts), being the oldest, used in the Apple I, going up in chronological order. If you're interested in more detail, check out www.apple-history.com.

5. ebow thread starter macrumors 6502a

ebow

Thanks, all. I did a brief search this morning but wasn't really awake yet and must have used some poor search terms, or ignored posts I should have read, something.

I recognized the 68k processor numbers, but wasn't really aware of Moto chips used before that.

Crawling toward "Regular" now... :D

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

more like running :D
    you do realize that this thread raised your post count by two posts right ? :p
    i think that something should be done about those designations. People spam a lot to get avatars and stuff and sometimes the most knowledgeable people are the ones with smaller post counts...

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

well put. I think arn shoudl post them somewhere in the FAQ or soemthing. Questions about this are asked al the time and I know that before i serached the forum i checked the FAQ. or make it sticky somewhere. I kinda wish they didn't show a status at all or you picked your own status that meant nothing.

8. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

How about designer beer steins? That would be a cool addition to my collection! :)

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

that would be a cool idea. I would definately be more liekly to have a MacRumors beer stein on my desk.

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

u guys need to start using the "Search" feature on this site...

11. ebow thread starter macrumors 6502a

ebow

Yeah, yeah. Sorry.

But something cryptic like this is certainly FAQ fodder, no?

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

maybe...but the point is not to attain status...so I'm assuming that's why it's not in the FAQ...

however, there are several past discussions on this... ;)

13. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

You are quite right there. But since MR took away the post count from the post details, post count has had less of an effect on post. However, in the time that I've been here, there has definitely been an increase in the level of meaningless posts. But then again, some people just run out of ideas. Take the macpolls.com for example. The poll topics get worse and worse as time goes along, and then get a sudden quality boost as an event happens. But seriously....Anyhow, regarding people with low post counts and high quality, after reading the forums, you know who will give you a knowledgable answer as opposed to a meaningless attempt at one. When people pretend to know what they are on about, or sincerely believe that they are correct when in fact they are not, people know not to pay as much attention to them. Yes, discrimination. But this is the world we're talking about. Get used to it. And now please, excuse my ramble and continue on.

On another note, sorry for exhuming this thread from its grave. I was just searching (something many still need to learn how to do) for post statuses because I'm nearing 1000. For the newbie who doesn't actually read the search instructions, wildcard "*"'s are in fact, VERY useful. Use them.

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

thank u!!!! :D

finally...someone who uses the search button here... ;)

set an example for them all...

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

unfortunately, its a very short list...;)

This thread topic has come up at least half a dozen times that I know of. And its my guess we'll see it many more.....

D

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

That is why we *should* put it on the damn FAQ.

If my idea counts for anything, it is really small... but I mean post count *doesn't* matter but really this is *always* asked, and people don't search as their first option they post a message.

BTW people can go WAY over "68020 => 2005 posts"

17. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

To contribute, go here: http://www.macrumors.com/contrib.html

18. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

*looks at thread, notes subject and content, adds yet another tally (up to 8 now), asks just how long it will take people to realize this keeps happening just as I said it would, leaves*

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i was surprised when i hit 601 at 5000 posts since the term 601 is rarely, if ever, used in the apple techie world

when macs started using the 601 processor, up through the 604e processor, the family was generally known as powerpc processors

after that, came the G3 (acutally, but never often referred to as the 750), then G4

how would that sound in advertising for apple, "and now we bring you the 750 powermac"...it doesn't have a ring to it like G3 powermac or G3 powerbook

and even though the G3s and G4s have their sub-designations, 750/750cx/750fx or G3/G3c/G3e, for example, ...virtually no one uses those, either

20. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Ok, so if you contribute, you become a demi-god but does this entitle you to an avatar?

21. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

No, you still have to get 500 posts to get an avatar.

22. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

My understanding is that you could get an Avatar despite post count if you contribute...

could be wrong tho...

as for the 'search' feature... anyone else think there should be a link to it from the main page? You have to go to the Forums to see it, which makes many people overlook it i think...

pnw

23. vniow macrumors G4

No, there's several 'tar-less demis out there and I remember some of them saying that no matter if you contributed ot not, you still couldn't get an avatar until 500 posts.

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

There have been only a few exceptions to the 500 posts for a tar requirment. Winning the Avatar contest (don't ask me when the next one is, I don't know) and some of the original switchers from the Apple ads were given 'tars, even though they had only a few posts.

D

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

in the earliest days of when macrumors started catching on, eyelikeart, mischief, and me would have found 500 posts to be unreachable

200-300 posts was considered senior member status among the heavy posters of the time...then again, we discussed rumors concerning macs then;)

i think either eye or mischief first passed one thousand posts