MacRumors Forum Skin

Discussion in 'Community' started by arn, Jul 20, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

hey all,

I was considering changing the forum skin in the near future.

In a preliminary look around, it seems that the choices are limited... and may make more sense to go to a custom theme.

So, let me put out some feelers and ask - is there anyone with vbulletin theme/skin-ing experience?

arn

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I think it would be best to stay away from an OS X styled forum.

OS X themes on mac sites is getting cliche and most mac users stare at OS X all day in the first place.

Something very elegant would be nice.

scem0

3. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

yeah... there is an os x styled forum theme available here - but was always just a test - unforutnately, some people got used to it... but when the new style is done, we'll consolidate to one theme only.

arn

4. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Well, that makes me kinda sad, because I use the OS X style, and I think the old style is quite ugly in comparison. And it works really good, as it is "just a test" :)

I will not rebel against a new style though, I just hope it has some Apple-Touch ;) but please: No Brushed Metal, okay? :p

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

make sure you find someone who can code it well. And find someone you trust to code/design it, cause over at funmac some bastard half coded it took ambitiouslemons money and took off.

So look around

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah I don't prefer the Os X theme, personally I look at it all day, I don't need another one.

7. job macrumors 68040

job

A nice dark background with light text might look nice.

8. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I think that it may look good with more dark red and blue tones to match the front page on a white background instead of gray. Whatever you decide on try to keep it simple since the OS X theme seems a bit bloated.

9. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

whatever you decide im sure it will be good as long as it is keep it simple, personally i would enjoy a brushed metal look , but others have spoken against that, perhaps a few options.
    personally i like the grey as it is.

10. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

I think the current theme is alright. It's easy on the eyes and lends itself to a nice neutral backdrop to all the uploaded art...and my superior avatar!

As long as future themes don't lose these qualities I'm sure it'll be fine.

Howabout something that looks like the old dark space legos? I mean, Lego™ bricks.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sounds cool. I don't really care what it looks like to tell you the truth, the site is what it is because of the people not the look, but anyway! I digress. I use the osx version, but only cuz I got used to it. I'm excited to see a new one!

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

yeah - i already use the mac os x theme.

It looks much better than the default theme.

But I'd prefer something less mac oriented - but looks better than the default theme.

scem0

13. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

Keep it simple please.

I tried the OS X theme, I didn't like it as much as the defalt and it seamed to be too graphics heavy and made it slower to load.

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Well, if everyone agrees that since we all look at OS X all day and need a change, why not make it look like Windows XP instead? Or better yet, Windows 1.0 -- how long has it been since you saw that "GUI"?

The word I'd like to use when describing the look would be "sharp." Not too bubbly like OS X, not too bland and boring like the default vBulletin, but somewhere off on a tangent with a futuristic feel.

15. benjaminpg macrumors regular

My main request is to please keep it simple. Personally, I find I like the default theme very much, simple, easy to read, and over all nice to look at. I agree that you shouldn't try to use Aqua windows, etc. for the reasons stated above. It just feels too cluttered and distracting.

The reason it is fine for use in the OS is that it is not closely packed like the current OS X/Aqua theme, and therefore doesn't interfere with the contents.

If the new theme is much different, it would be very nice if the old one was kept in case some people don't like the change, since the current one has served very well.

At any rate, use your judgement and people will probably be happy. Thanks for running such a great site, arn.

16. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

yup ,-)

17. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

my words ;-)

my opinion as well,
    just try to get a dark background and a clear text. That certainly doesn t look so nice, but when hanging for some time in the forums, a clear background gives you an aking head. at least for me. So please make it white on black or something coming near to it ;-) => a little design can never be bad.

and, why not add some other skins ? i don t see where the problem is giving people tha ability to choose between tons of skins ;-)

18. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Huh? That is quite contrary to my own experience and to the research I heard of. I can read black on gray at least 2x faster than white on black... I tend to not read web pages with white font on black background at all since it is too much of an effort and gives me a headache after a while. Most Usability researchers seem to agree with that.

I find the current theme quite easy to read.

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Many people are saying 'keep it simple' etc. but I would rather have something extravagant, but you could choose to remain with the default theme if you choose.

The extravagant theme would take longer to load so it wouldn't be the best for dialup users. I was thinking of something that pieces a whole bunch of images pieced together to make a very neat looking logo at the top (most likely using a table).

But I do think that whatever you do will look good - but that is just what I would like to see.

scem0

20. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i'd like to see extra options for demi-gods....it would be a good reason to contribute too.

21. VIREBEL661 macrumors regular

I LIKE brushed metal!!! - Oh, whatever - ever the minority...

22. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Re: MacRumors Forum Skin

What about a Windows XP style one or Linux KDE version of Aqua. It is not as good as Apple Aqua or brushed, but too many websites have these now.

23. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Extravagent, would you like there to be flashing lights and sound or something?

And extra cheese, you need the extra cheese. :p

Even though I like 'classic' theme, a more colorful theme would be nice.

Taking after apple or another OS I think would be bad because styles chance (reletivly) fast.

24. Tequila Grandma macrumors regular

I couldn't agree more wholeheartedly. There are a couple boards I would probably frequent much more often if it were not for the white-on-black color scheme. I'm currently using the OSX theme, and while it can seem a bit tacky, the colors work nicely. In my experience, a simple black text over light grey background is most pleasing to the eye.

25. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i think the mac os is fine, but i think allowing the demis to pick from like 2 skin options would be best. and like someone else has said, even more of a reason to contribute.