MacRumors Forums Redesign... Part 2

Discussion in 'Community' started by arn, Dec 7, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Ok,

I mentioned this a while back... and the time is drawing near.

MacRumors forums will likely see a forum redesign soonish... The current default theme is simply the default style that came with the forum software. For various reasons -- it was never customized.

I would like to get a better / lighter-colored theme in place soon.

Any suggestions, experienced vb-themer's, etc... thoughts?

A few thoughts from me:

1) People can get used to anything... and dislike change. so, I'm sure there will be an initial onslaught of "I don't like it" opinions early on... but people will get used to it. ;)

2) I am going to try to stick with 1 unified theme. For maintainence/upgrade purposes, it's just far easier that way.

3) I don't want it to be too mac-os-x-ish. While some elements can be drawn from mac os x.... I think going all-aqua is a bit too much and gets old quickly.

arn

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I agree about aqua, arn, it's starting to look dated against some of the GUI elements Apple have introduced, I think a departure is a good thing, and will enhance the individuality of MacRumors even further.

3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

My only advice is to keep it simple arn. Don't let it get too bogged down with graphical elements like the OS X theme. Also avoid the cluttered appearance of some forums like SpyMac. Either go for minimalism or keep the default theme as an option in the User CP. Try to keep download and render times as small as possible.

4. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Agreed: currently this fourm is very easy to navigate, hence easy to use and find various elements.

I agree that the colour scheem is a bit late 1980's and needs an up date, to what? it's your page and for you to decide.

Look to other fourms for insperation, the clan forum www.popnolf.de has a has a quick link at the bottom of the page allowing you to jump to any particular page within the fourm. I find it evry useful not having to go back to the main page all the time, rather just to selected fourms.

Current rating scheem is good and doesn't need revision in my opinion. A few more emoticons wouldn't go astray.

5. medea macrumors 68030

medea

how about revolving it around a light gray? or perhaps reds.

6. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i dunno i happen to like the look of the mac os x theme right now... all i can say :D

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

well you can go to basically any mac site if you want to look at that.

I agree with everyone else (except Tazo :p) that simplicity and uniqueness (no aqua) are important.

http://www.boneland.com has an interesting style. It is even sort of brushed metal-esque, but at the same time is very simple. All just tones of grey. I like it.

scem0

8. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i agree there needs to be some simplicity in the theme, but i just dont want anything too radically different from the default theme.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I just don't want it to be aqua.

Aqua is so cliche (and old) when it comes to mac sites.

scem0

10. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Me too. I use the Mac OS X theme, even though I think most others do not. The default theme looks just so ugly to me. And when Arn says there will be people complaining about the change....he is darn right. I myself hate change, even if it is for the better. But at least I acknowledge it. I know I'll be hating the new theme, but I hopefully I'll hold back my complaints until I have time to adjust.

I do not think that just because the OS X look is overused does not mean that it is a good theme, even though most members don't even use it. I wouldn't mind seeing the new theme be very influenced by aqua. Maybe the new "Panther" aqua would be a nice compromise.

Good Luck on deciding Arn, a lot of people will be complaining either way.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree with you arn, that no matter what the change is some will complain. The majority will get used to the change quickly.

I agree with others that simplicity and uniqueness would make a nice improvement. So I will make the changes up to your educated judgement.

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Just keep it simple. I personally like the default look since it is so easy on the eyes compared to most every other forum out there.

13. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

all brushed metal, all the time

OOOWWW OOOOWWWW BABY!

14. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

How about, when you make the new theme, keep the current Aqua theme as an option?

15. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I like brushed metal, but I don't think it'll work well with these forums, because there are too many design elements...

Anything that looks 3d-ish would also probably look cheesy...

A simple, basic, flat design would probably work fine. I like the current color scheme right now, though...

If you could find a way to make it simplistic, on white, I think it would look cool, but too many things based on white backgrounds look cheesy to me (like SpyMac) If you can't do white, I also think a dark-grey appearance also looks cool, and stylish, yet subtle. Design like Apple. Design comes with function, not just to make it look pretty.

Personally, I'd say go for a burnt orange color scheme... :p

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I don't like Brushed metal.

The gray is a little boring... a little more color... but easy on the eyes...

Yeah thats gonna be hard.

:eek:

But please, no brushed metal!

17. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

how about dark grey with blue/orange accents?

18. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

19. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Re: MacRumors Forums Redesign... Part 2

Well, I'm still not used to Think Secret's new look. :(

20. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Think Secret has way too much metal for it to look good no matter how used to it you are.

21. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I think a slightly rusty, scabby sort of tin theme would look good, you know, like a shack roof... maybe some moss, a little broken glass...;)

Simple is good, metal in moderation is good, I happen to like the OSX theme, but a change is as good as a rest as my gran used to say.

22. sketchy macrumors regular

"frames"

have you seen the frames look - http://www.keynoteuser.com/prothemes/frames.html

It is a little OSX like, but more refined and simple.
    I think it is better then the ledger look we have now

Not sure how to use the design, but I thought I would contribute

23. iGav macrumors G3

keep it clean and minimal, crisp and structured.

strip away all the eye candy as well. ;)

ultimately though, I don't come here because of it's design, so I'm not particularly fussed. ;)

but keep it clean and minimal, crisp and structured. ;) :)

24. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

As long as the design is clean, simple and not too busy, then I'm sure that I will adapt to it. Utimately, it's the content, not the look of it, that will drive membership.