Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Click search, then the cog:
View attachment 557478

Likes are shown. We didn't import likes from vBulletin, however, if that's what you are talking about.

This isn't how it works if your js is working properly.... try a different browser and see if it behaves the same?

View attachment 557479

I'm not seeing likes for others. I see a thumbs up, I click on it and it turns green but has no number denoting how many likes the post got.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I didn't realize this was the makeover - - I thought we were still in some interim unformated state.

I don't like to be negative, but I'm not a fan of the loose sloppy look, and my eyes are burning from the glare of the white background.

Last edited:

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I'm not seeing likes for others. I see a thumbs up, I click on it and it turns green but has no number denoting how many likes the post got.
That thumbs up button is the like button, you just "liked" that post by clicking that button. The number of likes, for posts that have them, is located at the bottom left of the the post content under the Report button.

Reactions: balamw and dejo

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
That thumbs up button is the like button, you just "liked" that post by clicking that button. The number of likes, for posts that have them, is located at the bottom left of the the post content under the Report button.
the more i use the new format the more i think that

• the report button is completely in the way. what percent of posts are reported anyway. put a small icon out of the way.
  • the edit button is also on the wrong side. put it on the right, together with the reply button
  • the multiquote button works really poorly. very unintuitive and cumbersome, compared to before (or broken, if that is not what is supposed to be like)
  • the like number should be a section of the like button, with the names coming up only on mouseover

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Well, I'm really missing my 40 posts per page setting, and these new circle avatars have cut mine off just a bit (I don't think I have the original image file anymore, it was custom made) but other than that, looks fairly nice I suppose.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

techguy9

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2014
Apparently anything on the MacRumors archives before November 2014 is running into a server error. Is it related to the migration?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Apparently anything on the MacRumors archives before November 2014 is running into a server error. Is it related to the migration?

Can you give me a link?

arn

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I don't like it at all. I use to love going on here, on the main forum page, and just see all the recent posts right away for each area. So many times I see something interesting and just click on that post, and most times if was a post that I normally don't go into.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
This new format does not play well with Firefox......(Mac)
I had the same issue - clearing the Web Content Cache fixed that for me (v. 39 Beta) Prefs> Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content > Clear Now button (click that button twice).

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
it's visually quite nice, but in some ways over-designed.

the whole forum index, with varying sized tiles, takes longer to visually navigate (at least for me). trying to attact windows users? :p i'm sure i'll get used to it, but sometimes simpler is better!

Reactions: ShinyDren and bobob

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Have to admit, at first it was overwhelming but really liking this change. Quick question will your sister site Toucharcade get a similar treatment? This forum "theme" (or setting) would greatly benefit that site.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I may be missing it in the settings, but I can't find the setting to change the time format. Not everyone in the world uses the am/pm system and I would really like to put it back to the 24h time mode (or military time as it's sometimes called in the US)

24 hour time mode is in place. Go to user control panel preferences. And choose different language.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I want to like this new look but...yeesh.

I agree with rgarjr: way too much white space. Scroll up to posts 484-486. About 80% of the landscape is just...white.

Architecturally, there's an imbalance between the left column and the posts on the right. If the poster has no avatar, then the left column is more compact, and the right column (the posting area) follows suit. But if the poster does have an avatar, then the vertical height of the left column is greatly increased, which of course does the same for the post area on the right. And if the person only posts one or two sentences, as quite a few of us are wont to do, then that leaves a whole lot of dead space below those sentences.

It might work better if the avatar and the minutiae (join date, location, etc.) were side-by-side, instead of top-to-bottom. I'd gladly accept an avatar of slightly smaller size if that tightened things up.

Of course that's easy for me to say; I don't have to mess with the CSS. ;)

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Bug: a nonfunctional drag handle within a edit dialogue that should be probably be expandable

A bug, not severe.

The drag handle, bottom right, implies that the field is expandable.

The handle is nonfunctional; I can not expand the field.

2015-06-02 02-14-44 screenshot.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.