Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Like-related enhancement requests

I'd like a list of posts, by a member, that were liked by other members.

The suggested list:
  • will help to work around the current problems with search
  • may help to reduce the disorientation that can occur when things are inexplicably deleted/removed.
Similarly, I'd like a list of posts that are liked by a member.

Side note

If either of those suggestions is a duplicate of a previously made suggestion, sorry … https://www.google.co.uk/?q="liked"+site:forums.macrumors.com/forums/site-and-forum-feedback.66/ finds nothing, https://forums.macrumors.com/search/175766/?q="liked"&o=date&c[node]=66 finds five hundred posts and I don't intend to plough through that supposed five hundred to see which ones truly include the word liked :eek:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Pages per set of search results; and sets of fewer than 500 results where truly there are (or should be) 500

The suspiciously round number 500 (above) reminds me of the 25 x 20 limit that seems to apply to search results.

Related:
– there's more, and I'll bring things together, from multiple topics, here in this post.

Postscript

Found, from a couple of days before migration:

… finding my older messages is potentially painfully convoluted. After many clicks I found at most 200 posts, then the total went down to 197.

– that was too short notice to expect an enhancement or fix.

Now I get:
  • results 481 to 496 of 496 on the first page 25
  • 1 to 20 of 495 on the second page 1
  • 481 to 495 of 495 on the second page 25
  • 1 to 20 of 500 on the third page 1
  • 481 to 500 of 500 on the third page 25
  • 1 to 20 of 499 on the fourth page 1
– and so on.

The sets of less than 500 are curious, but not a worry to me. Without knowing the technical background, my lazy first guess is that some of the strange counts involve posts where punctuation characters that were visible in vBulletin were inappropriately replaced by invisible control characters.

Last edited:

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
That did not fix the problem for me.
Then it has to be official. Something in YOUR setup also known as "Operator Error" (of some sort). Which I could point you in a different direction but it was an easy fix after the transfer. The email notifications feature was messed up on notifications that were transferred over. Deleting and re-subscribing was the easy fix. Sorry for your troubles.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Printouts (PDF) here include some greyscale in lieu of colour.

The avatar above is lovely, and may be most commonly associated with @arn. Seen against someone else's name, that de-coloured version of arn's avatar could be misinterpreted as having special meaning (not generic meaning).
Even turned grayscale (not that MR is concerned about being print-friendly), the avatars look very different. I don't really get what you mean by "special meaning", it's pretty obvious the lighter one with the dashed border is generic and found for users without avatars while the darker one is custom.

I also went to extra effort darkening the question mark to reinforce that this is a generic avatar and no custom one for this member is found.
Grayscale-avatars.png

Without avatars (member-provided workaround)

I have stumbled across only one interface that is circle-oriented:

screenshot-2015-06-27-at-22-13-49-png.564632
I had squares enabled when I made the fix, so it didn't look like that to me. Actually looks quite nice :D

Edit: By the way, @grahamperrin, care to follow me back? ;)

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… what you mean by "special meaning",

god …

it's pretty obvious the lighter one with the dashed border is generic and found for users without avatars

Already used in that way?

… while the darker one is custom. …

The darker one is, at a glance, a greyscale version of what's used by member 1, god, arn

Sorry for the confusion, I see that previous autocompletion referenced the wrong arn – sorry about that, @arn and arn.hmm, some weirdness, drafting this post now, I can't imagine how the wrongness occurred. More on that wrongness in a future post.

… care to follow me back? ;)

Oh, I don't notice such things. When I follow, it's rarely using the computed methods. https://twitter.com/grahamperrin/status/612224269880283137

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Already used in that way?
Ok, I will admit I'm not seeing the circular avatar outlines consistently for smaller avatars in Safari. It's actually quite strange.

For instance, @AngerDanger's avatar has an outline on the left side of 0.5 pixels (1 Retina pixel), while many of the other avatars (including @arn's) don't have one at all.

In Firefox all the outlines are present and consistent.
Oh, I don't notice such things. When I follow, it's rarely using the computed methods. https://twitter.com/grahamperrin/status/612224269880283137
I miss the old "Friends" system. Seems like with this new followers setup, there's less incentive to follow someone knowing you may not get followed back.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ok, I will admit I'm not seeing the circular avatar outlines consistently for smaller avatars in Safari. It's actually quite strange.

For instance, @AngerDanger's avatar has an outline on the left side of 0.5 pixels (1 Retina pixel), while many of the other avatars (including @arn's) don't have one at all.

In Firefox all the outlines are present and consistent.

I miss the old "Friends" system. Seems like with this new followers setup, there's less incentive to follow someone knowing you may not get followed back.
Purely out of curiosity, why does following back matter (in particular here)?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
This probably hasn't been noticed yet since nobody ever clicks on those, but all the links under "AppShopper" link to a Touch Arcade 404 page.

Reactions: arn

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Purely out of curiosity, why does following back matter (in particular here)?
When you add to someone else's follower count they add to your's. That's how the old friends system worked, and also how it translated into followers after the migration.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
When you add to someone else's follower count they add to your's. That's how the old friends system worked, and also how it translated into followers after the migration.
Ah, so basically just the numbers.

I guess I didn't really think about that since those numbers are kind of hidden deeper in the user profile page and generally never paid much attention to them in general and in particular on places like forums. I remember the early days of Twitter or Facebook or even Myspace, but I thought that we have for the most part moved on from that as playing much of a role of any kind really.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Please please PLEASE add a function so that members can filter out a forum. When checking "new posts" it has become a chore to wade through all of the apple watch threads. Please!

Reactions: redheeler

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Then it has to be official. Something in YOUR setup also known as "Operator Error" (of some sort). Which I could point you in a different direction but it was an easy fix after the transfer. The email notifications feature was messed up on notifications that were transferred over. Deleting and re-subscribing was the easy fix. Sorry for your troubles.
What direction do you suggest I go?

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
What direction do you suggest I go?
Really I'm not sure. When the change over happened I had the same problem except in reverse. I was getting emails on every thread that was subscribed instead of just a notification via the board. So, like I said, I removed all the subscriptions ad re-subscribe checking either the emil a button or no email and now everything is working as it should. I wonder if the emails are being filtered into a spam folder or just deleted based on how your spam folders are formatted.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have a question about image attachments. The old software had a library of post attachments that could be used in more than one post. I assume this was to minimize duplication. Is that how it is in the new software? I tried to use an attachment from one post that had "attach" brackets, but in the new post, the image would not appear, just the brackets and the attachment number.

Also I still would like to be able to move images off the net onto MRs as an attachment without first having to download it to my computer. :)

I'm not sure why email notifications wouldn't be working. @AppleDApp and @mafaky

Are you getting any emails from the forums?

Hey, it's happening to somebody else!

FYI, I am getting notifications of posts (if they is what you are talking about).

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I have a question about image attachments. The old software had a library of post attachments that could be used in more than one post. I assume this was to minimize duplication. Is that how it is in the new software? I tried to use an attachment from one post that had "attach" brackets, but in the new post, the image would not appear, just the brackets and the attachment number.

Also I still would like to be able to move images off the net onto MRs as an attachment without first having to download it to my computer. :)

FYI, I am getting notifications of posts (if they is what you are talking about).

No, I meant this thing where the page doesn't load correctly as per my attachment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.