Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 1.12.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 1.12.37 PM.png
    505.6 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: grahamperrin

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Auto-save, and saved drafts, unexpectedly absent whilst drafting editions

First observed with Mozilla Firefox 38.0.6 on PC-BSD 10.

First draft of this post (before refining the symptoms (ignore the opening line in the shot)):

Firefox, replying inline.png

No problem in that shot of an inline reply.

Editing an earlier post. No Drafts button:

Firefox, edition.png Firefox, edition overlay.png

Reproduced with Safari 7.x in OS X 10.9.5 (13F1077). Editing this post:

2015-07-01 08-14-55 screenshot.png

Postscripts

The absence of drafts, from a type of interface that's most commonly associated with automated drafts, will be a problem only when unexpected dataloss occurs.

I can easily reproduce losses that other users might not expect. And a few seconds ago I accidentally lost two paragraphs :-(

I guess that this limitation exists in XenForo or an add-on; not in anything that's specific to MacRumors.

(Plone background here; it's not unusual to find post-publication drafts that are saved but unpublished. I don't expect CMS capabilities from XenForo, but that CMS mindset led me to stumble across the dataloss outlined above.)

Suggestions

Wherever auto-save is nonfunctional in an interface (e.g. edition) that's associated with the function, don't simply be without a button that is not associated with automation.

Be explicit. Alert the user to the absence risk of loss.

There's the temptation to show a greyed-out floppy disk icon, but the grey will be overlooked and critically, that button is unrelated to the automation.

Use plain english. In the toolbar, in lieu of the floppy disk icon, a red alert:

Auto-save is off

If the edition overlay is too narrow for that red alert to appear in the editing toolbar, then drop it to the button bar at the foot of the overlay.

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It would be really nice to be able to change the title of a thread you create without mod assistance, for mistakes or improvement, like you could with the old software. Can this feature be added? Thanks!

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Can you two jump over to this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/screen-view.1896206/#post-21529418 to continue discussion about it

I'd like to thank MacRumors for the new emoji; they're some of the most endearing emoji I've ever come across. I love the large size of them as well.

I would like it if we could also use the built-in ones blown up to the same size as the excellent MacRumors ones. Also, I'd love to see an animated laughing emoji—I feel that would complete the MacRumors collection.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I'd like to thank MacRumors for the new emoji; they're some of the most endearing emoji I've ever come across. I love the large size of them as well.
Put me in the opposite group. I hate the new non-Retina Xenforo-default smilies and have implemented a fix to change them back to the old. Hopefully MR will make some better Retina smilies in the future.

No character emoji support as well, which has made Xenforo a real downgrade when it comes to emoji/smilies.

-----

Thanks much! I was used to seeing this option under the thread edit section. :)
You're certainly not the first :)

Reactions: Huntn

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Gwendolini, post: 21545163, member: 945889”]… Pesky tools …[/QUOTE]

Availability of tools should be welcomed.

There’s an underlying problem – the combination of these two things:
  1. use of ambiguous icons
  2. lack of plain english.
If people who have the experience of @Gwendolini can not tell what’s implied by a cog, then imagine how ambiguous icons will be ignored, overlooked or misinterpreted by newcomers to the site.

Reactions: Huntn

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
If people who have the experience of @Gwendolini can not tell what’s implied by a cog, then imagine how ambiguous icons will be ignored, overlooked or misinterpreted by newcomers to the site.
I will point out that in this case, experience can work against someone by expecting the features to be under "Edit" like on vB, while a newcomer wouldn't have that expectation.

Reactions: grahamperrin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.