Macrumors Geekfest.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Backtothemac, Jun 4, 2002.

1. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Ok. The last thread died a painful death, so listen up everyone :D . Eye is going to post the information here for the hotel again. Also, the Grenoble House has rooms, but they will start at 100 and go to 350 a night. Now. We are going to have a blast. This is a great way for the community to come together. So that being said, this is only an RSVP thread. DO NOT post to the thread unless you plan on coming, and are giving us a yes, we are coming. It will make it easier for Eye and me to keep track. The date is coming quick, so let us know.

2. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

the info...again

ok I've contacted some hotels and this is what we're looking at...

July 4th weekend is something called Essence Festival...a big weekend for downtown New Orleans...we cannot get any availability...

however...the following weekend....which consists of July 12-14 we can get in...

The Marriott Hotel at 555 Canal Street is where u should make reservations...

Call Michelle at (504) 553-5533 for reservations....make sure to mention my name when calling so she gives u our rate...Frank

$79 per night...up to 4 per room occupancy...

I got quoted on 10-15 rooms...but if more is needed it shouldn't be a problem...

3. macrumors newbie

Most likely coming for at least part of it...

Well, my partner and I will be coming for at least one day. My wife will be coming with me, so that's at least ONE woman around us to make us look less "geek" like. :)

FYI: My partner and I are the ones who wrote the Fluid screensaver for OS X...so if any of you want to talk programming we're up for it!

By the way, if you haven't checked out Fluid, please do so. ;) It's on VersionTracker...or you can get to it at our web site:

http://www.concepthouse.com/products/Fluid/

We live in Mobile (and will be moving into a new house around the same time) so we will probably not stay the whole weekend.

conceptDawg....(Christopher Holland)

4. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Hey Christopher,
    That is great that your wife is coming. Mine is also. That will actually work out very well, because they will have someone to talk to that doesn't want to discuss integer pipelines, and gigaflops. :D

5. macrumors newbie

Located in New Orleans

I'm a local and can help with 'event planning'. Let me know if you folks need some tidbits. The Marriott is a decent hotel, located on the edge of the French Quarter. You guys may also want to look at some B&Bs as well.

Aaron.

6. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

finally we're getting some feedback!! :D

B2TM & I were about a hair's width close to pulling the plug yesterday...

aaronm...thanks for the offer...so far I think we've got it...but hopefully when we get some more RSVPs we'll need to figure out a definite itinerary... ;)

7. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

If you hype it, they will come......

LADIES, LADIES, LADIES......

DRINKIN BEER, DRINKIN BEER.....

ETC.:D

8. macrumors newbie

Alright guys, my number has gone down to about 3-4 people, but hey, they're all übergeeks. Hopefully we'll be able to come down, talk about exhaustion MacRumor's Geekfest, H2K2, then MacworldNY! I've got alot of geeks to meet, hope my tiBook can handle it! Now time to run to the
    Galleria for the 2600 meeting (first friday of every month) you alabama people should show up some time...

9. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

we need to know this also...

have u guys who have so far posted here called in for reservations yet?

10. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Unbelievable!!!!!

I was sitting here with my wife who's been working till 9 or 10 every night watching the Pelican Brief and she says we need to go to New Orleans. I'd mentioned it before, as you know, so I mentioned it again.

We got the green light, baby!

I just hope I can book a flight, and the rooms - she has a place she likes and will let me know when she can get online and check it out.

Guess if I can get a decent flight you can count on two more!

She's a geek too, but a tax geek, too bad mcrain won't be there, they'd have something to talk about.

Whoo Hoo!

11. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: Unbelievable!!!!!

Hey Duke. Goto www.grenoblehouse.com

I used to work there. Rooms will start at about 100 per night, but man, that place is unreal. Mention my name Chuck Stacey. and ask for Mr. Palazzo, or Chantal. Let me know what you think.

12. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I just showed my wife, she said ask them for the best room available. Ha, got to love that. I'll do it tomorrow, got to get the damn flights first. At least its a month away and I might be able to do it on frequent flyer (I hope).

This should be great. I'll have the digital camera and video camera, damn, too bad jello won't be able to come, maybe we can get Dignan, mr. movie shorts himself....

I'll let you know more tomorrow.

13. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Those rooms there are awesome. They have kitchens, and they have a pool and hottub in the courtyard. It is one of the largest courtyards in the quarter. It is very private, and great location. They have pastries every morning, and it is just way, way, way to nice. The best room will set you back about 350 a night :eek:

Hopefully we can get a good rate. Tara and I are going to stay there as well.

14. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If we can get ff fares for the flight, we'll try for the 350 a night, for 3 nights, looks like we're going to try for a Thursday night flight and leave on Sunday.

How's that sound?

Got to check the flights next....

15. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Does SouthWest Fly out of DC? Yep. They do. Man, they are cheap! They have never had a crash in 25 years of service. Check them out. They go from Baltimore to NO non stop, or hell, man, fly in to Birmingham, and them drive to NO with us. That will save you some dough.

16. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

how longs the drive? you'd pick us up and go into NO on thursday?

I'll check the flights for Delta - I've got tons of miles there - and get back to you. Sounds good, though....its going to be great.

I'll be bringing my TiPB, whats the internet connection situation? We going to be able to do a wireless thing?

17. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

We should be able to. Hey, I know. Lets go to the Gateway store with the Ti and the iceBook. Use their net. That would be hillarious. It is about a 4 hour drive. We can't leave till friday though :( Man, that sucks. that would make for a very sweet road trip. Just let me know. I may be able to get off on Friday. Hell, I will take off on friday. We can leave here Thursday after 12 PM. It is a four hour drive though...... That means you will probably want to fly.

18. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm thinking that we'll try the direct route to NO, thanks for the offer, but I'll see what I can get tomorrow morning.

That would be fun at the gateway store. But we'll need to try and come up with a wireless connection. Any of the other geeks in NO have one? Where are we going to officially meet?

19. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I just realized that Eye has not been here tonight to see that you are coming..... That is going to be a group. Me, Eye, Duke, and Josh. Man, lock up your familys, the geeks are coming....

20. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So how many is it? Maybe eye will have his pizza girl by then. I'm thinking we should check the place out anyway and take a candid shot of her just for the hell of it, even if there's nothing going on between them.

Ha, this is going to be fun, I hope it becomes a regular event....

21. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yea, I figured that the direct route would be best he,he. They have great planes 737's is all they have, so they know how to keep them running well. Gateway should have a wireless cafe setup, most of the country stores do. we did here are the Gateway I used to work at. OMG, the cat is out of the bag. Yep, I used to work for Gateway. :rolleyes:

This will be fun. If anyone has a DV camera, we could upload small quicktime movies to the server if Arn would'nt mind.

22. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'll probably have a DV camera, could put it up on one of my few homepage.mac.com sites. No dancing though...

Who's making the 'my name is....' badges?

23. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

he,he,he. I told Tara, we will all be walking down Bourbon going, hey duke, look at that.... Hey Eye, where we gonna eat.....Back where is the hotel....etc....:D

24. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

well, your wife is mrs. back-dawg, my wife doesn't have a name, still needs to get online here - but she's a pc user that loves my macs....hmmm. mrs. duke doesn't really work.

25. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i know i'm not supposed to post, and i apologize in advance. heck, i give the mods permission to delete my post if they want.

but

duke's reference to mrs. back-dawg was too good to pass up! hahahah! good stuff.

oh, and yours would be mrs d-mod unless she makes a name for herself here.... "glad" to see the names sticking. though apparently teabgs isn't a big fan. that scumbag. ha