Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For this week's giveaway, we've teamed up with Grovemade to offer MacRumors readers a chance to win one of the company's wood iPhone cases and a matching dock. All of Grovemade's products, ranging from Apple accessories to desk sets, are made from high quality wood and leather, and everything matches.

Grovemade's docks, priced at $79, are made from wood and solid aluminum. Available in Walnut or Maple, the base of the dock is crafted from solid aluminum with a handmade wooden cap. An iPhone cable routes up through the aluminum base for charging purposes, and it's heavy enough that it's super stable on a desk.

grovemadedock-800x419.jpg

Docks are available for all Apple iPhones from the iPhone 5 and later, and our giveaway winner will be able to choose the wood and size appropriate for their iPhone.

Grovemade offers four different iPhone case styles, ranging in price from $139 to $59. The Leather iPhone Wallet Case ($129-$139) features a frame carved from walnut or maple wood and covered with vegetable-tanned leather. It keeps the display safe from scratches and bumps but leaves the screen and all ports accessible.

grovemadewallet-800x533.jpg

The Leather Case ($109-$119) is a standard-style iPhone case with a wood frame and a backplate made from vegetable-tanned leather. Like the Wallet Case, the leather of the Leather Case will wear in and develop a unique look with use.

leatheriphonecase-800x533.jpg

Grovemade also makes both a plain wood iPhone Case ($89 to $99) and a minimal iPhone Bumper, both designed to add minimal bulk while still protecting an iPhone. The iPhone Case uses a thin stick-on backplate combined with the iPhone Bumper to prevent dings and scratches.

grovemadewoodandbumper-800x303.jpg

All cases are available in Walnut or Maple wood and fit the iPhone 6 and later. Some of the cases are also available for the iPhone 5, 5s, and SE.

We're giving away one case and one dock to two MacRumors readers. To enter to win, use the Rafflecopter widget below and enter an email address. Email addresses will be used solely for contact purposes to reach the winner and send the prize. You can earn additional entries by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, subscribing to our YouTube channel, following us on Twitter, or visiting the MacRumors Facebook page.

Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years of age or older are eligible to enter. To offer feedback or get more information on the giveaway restrictions, please refer to our Site Feedback section, as that is where discussion of the rules will be redirected.

The contest will run from today (January 27) at 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time through 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time on February 3. The winners will be chosen randomly on February 3 and will be contacted by email. The winners will have 48 hours to respond and provide a shipping address before new winners are chosen.

Article Link: MacRumors Giveaway: Win an iPhone Case and Dock From Grovemade

Reactions: autrefois

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I gotta wonder about the wood used in those products. Maple and walnut aren't as renewable as something like bamboo. It's a bit odd that they don't have an environmental statement anywhere on their website that can be easily found.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

adamneer

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
I gotta wonder about the wood used in those products. Maple and walnut aren't as renewable as something like bamboo. It's a bit odd that they don't have an environmental statement anywhere on their website that can be easily found.

Perhaps this would be a concern if Grovemade's products were produced and sold at even a fraction of the volume of iPhone shipments, but I'd wager a guess that the amount of maple and walnut they use in production pales in comparison to even your average cabinetmaker. Do you expect the same environmental statements from major guitar manufacturers like Gibson and Paul Reed Smith, who not only use these same hardwoods, but hand select every last piece and also use much rarer species? How about hardwood flooring manufacturers?

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Perhaps this would be a concern if Grovemade's products were produced and sold at even a fraction of the volume of iPhone shipments, but I'd wager a guess that the amount of maple and walnut they use in production pales in comparison to even your average cabinetmaker. Do you expect the same environmental statements from major guitar manufacturers like Gibson and Paul Reed Smith, who not only use these same hardwoods, but hand select every last piece and also use much rarer species? How about hardwood flooring manufacturers?

I'm having a hard time wondering if you're being serious here. So, I'm just gonna state this:

Gibson started using "sustainable" wood sources back in 1996. They've been quite proud of pointing that out in fact.

Paul Reed Smith also gets their wood from sustainable sources. They also have stated so on their site.

Hardwood manufacturers also have little logos on their products that denote their type of origin. In fact, I would argue that it would be harder to actually find a hardwood manufacturer that does not use wood from sustainable sources.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
It's a 9, not a 10. It could have been a 10 if they just removed that ugly brand name engraving. (The engraving should be on the bottom, out of sight. If someone loves it, they'll pick it up to read the brand name.)

adamneer

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
I'm having a hard time wondering if you're being serious here. So, I'm just gonna state this:

Gibson started using "sustainable" wood sources back in 1996. They've been quite proud of pointing that out in fact.

Paul Reed Smith also gets their wood from sustainable sources. They also have stated so on their site.

Hardwood manufacturers also have little logos on their products that denote their type of origin. In fact, I would argue that it would be harder to actually find a hardwood manufacturer that does not use wood from sustainable sources.
And again, perhaps if they were producing millions or even tens of thousands of cases, they would feel compelled to denote their sources. But as is explained throughout their site, they do low batch production, in the hundreds to thousands range. Given the size of their cases and how they are made (fingerjointed corners, not a milled one piece design), they can likely get 40-50 cases out of a single board. And this is besides the fact that they likely purchase all their lumber from local mills, which generally take it upon themselves to purchase responsibly harvested lumber. In any case, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to give you this information if you inquired.

Bamboo is not some magical wood substitute that eases our burden on the environment. Not only is it a material that not everyone finds aesthetically pleasing, it takes a considerable amount more energy and chemicals (glue) to produce the equivalent of solid wood. Even further, it dulls blades much faster than maple or walnut and therefore contributes to other costs on the environment, let alone production costs.

I'm not saying there aren't good use cases for bamboo, or that responsible sources shouldn't be emphasized, but I see no reason for either in Grovemade's "case".

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Grovemade has gone downhill.

They need to get back to their custom engraved bamboo cases. Everything else they've tried making is rubbish and not true to their original product line that made them famous in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.