MacRumors iPod Story Covered by Los Angeles Times

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Our news story made page 2 of today's Los Angeles Times Business section!

Los Angeles Times link (free registration required)

2. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Great...

Now, they could continue the article:

"European users started the week visiting the iPod's website early before leaving home, just to be sure of any update coming during the day" :rolleyes: "it was instant news before american people started the day... blablblabla :cool: :p ...

3. belair macrumors 6502

belair

it must be hard for apple

I mean that now, every magazine seems to want Steve Jobs on their cover.
    I am sure he loves the attention but it must be really hard to keep things from leeking in such cases.

It must have been pretty easy to prevent leakage at times when no one cared about apple but now that they are THE trendsetters in the digital lifestyle, it's a different story. All the industry is watching them now, getting their copying machines ready to start working on some new projects :D ;)

4. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My purpose in starting this thread wasn't to talk about iPods or Apple getting coverage in newspapers or magazines. It was to point out that the story included a mention of MacRumors.

I think it's nice that rumors site (one in particular :) ) and their surrounding buzz are part of the news. I'm more and more convinced that we have members here who work for news outlets and that we help them keep an eye (or two) on what's coming.

Here's another example: The first sentence of today's CNET story Apple iPod (20GB, fourth generation) mentions sites like this.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It is nice that general sites like this one is getting press.

Wonder if there were any more members that usual because of the mention.

6. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Speaking of members

How many active members does the MacRumors community have?

I know many lurkers read the news and sometimes the forums. But there must be fairly significant traffic at this site.
    Forgive me if I am missing this info in another location.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Its weird, because not only does it seem that various mainstream media sources mentioned MacRumours, but they also quoted a MR member -- ie: they read what we type.

In essence, they're getting news, or just rumours, from us. Its like we're ahead of the news, which is quite cool (if you're a computer geek). ;)

8. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

What is the deal with these news sites asking for a registration, be it free or not? I end up re-registering an infinite number of times because I always forget what the login/password was for them, using various computers throughout the day.

9. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They want to collect information about you, and encourage you to think you are a member of the site so you'll come back and buy subscriptions or other services from them. It makes good business sense, except when they overdo it and prevent you from wanting to stay at their site at all. I get frustrated too. I registered for the Los Angeles Times and New York Times; most others I live without.

If you forget your password but know your ID, you can always use the "I forgot my password" to have your password e-mailed to you, but if you forgot your ID, you have to register. Either way it takes extra time and some of us have more patience than others. You should let them know your opinion - every paper will have some form of feedback form. And if not, send a comment to webmaster@whatever.

10. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The L.A. Times article had a typo. It said 10GB where it meant 40GB.

As published:
    Correction they have now issued:

11. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

12. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

I quit subscribing to Mac magazines when I became a member here. A July issue comes out in June and contains information that is 3 to 4 months old. You won't read about the new iPod in MacWorld until the October issue which get released in September.

I forgot where I was going with that. :) But, needless to say, if you want to stay current, stay with MacRumors. And for you die hard PC users, try our sister site. www.pcrumors.com :D