macrumors is about...

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jul 10, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

1) macs
    2) insulting and threatening other people
    3) both

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

3. jbomber macrumors 6502a

jbomber

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Re: macrumors is about...

If that's all you see in MR then I don't see why you would post here.

scem0

5. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I see MacRumors as a community of intelligent, creative people chatting about technology and macs, and how it affects their lives. :)

I don't, however, see MacRumors as a place for insults or threats.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I do. :D It comes with the territory. People here like to show off their vast knowledge, as well as how up-to-date they are with tech news. It's conducive to tech arguments that usually end up being somewhat heated. It IS a place to discuss the world of Apple, but also a place to compare ***** size. You may as well bring out the rulers. ;)

Concerning the female members, I don't know what they're measuring......[​IMG]

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that MacFan25 stated it very well. Do think that we should be able to talk about other items of interest beside Mac. All of us have lives outside of our Mac's. If one is honored we are all honored, if one is hurting we try to comfort that person.

The biggest negative is insults and threats, should not be tolerated.

We should try to be inclusive!

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

see, this is great, i have found a miraculous method of avoiding any and all fights that break out on MR... i refuse to go into the political forum. period. You know what they say, the only reason to argue is to become better aquainted with your own side, and i know my beliefs quite well :) occasionally i get pissed at some political current event enough to want to vent, but it can usually be vented to someone who shares my opinion...

i find you to be a valuable member of the MR community, and I'd hate to see you abandon all the good for the small amount of bad...

:)
    pnw

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Folks

jefhatfield is speaking about a large increase in the number of trolls that have appeared in the last few weeks (sorry jef if I let your cat out of a bag here), and I tend to agree that it has become rather tense lately.

Most of these trolls are hanging around in the Pol discussion and I rarely see anything there about Macs - that's why I rarely post there myself.

jef, I feel frustration beside you, and would like all political discussions to go to other places, but again, I'm at a loss as this might be managed.

Perhaps anything remotely political being conidered off-topic?

10. evil macrumors 6502

i really dont understand the people that complain by make more wasteful posts.

ive read it in a few times in another post by the same author complaining about the politics forum
    -DONT READ IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT
    i dont read them and i dont post in them. not because i have anything against the politics forum at all, but because im too lazy to even bother.

11. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

That's what I'm advocating. I never understood why a forum for political discussions was put in place on a Mac forum when they can go to the CNN or MSNBC or Rush Limbaugh message boards or something.

Tech forums don't need politic forums.

Many of the newer members don't see the spillover but for the last year things have been getting bad and petty disputes have been infecting the other forums. The main reason for my leave of abscense was the fact that they were spilling too much into Community Discussion and other forums, if it weren't for the G5 I would not have come back.

I see now that it may be best to avoid anything except the HW, SW and Genreal Tech Forums altogether.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Al Gore's appointment to the board of Apple could conceivably fall under that axe you would wield. Anything to do with copyright infringement (piracy) government policies regarding macs vs M$, internet filtering software.... The list goes on and on and one person's politics are another person's business concerns.

I don't want to fan the fires that jefhatfield has started but arn has spoken and come up with a compromise solution. I hope it works.

13. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

here's my take on this... i like MR because i feel like what i say gets heard... the point of posting on a forum, to me, is not to just get your words out for the sake of it but to be heard. if you post on cnn or msnbc, etc., i don't think you get the same feeling. there's simply too many posters and posts.

this is not just for political discussion... take technical stuff. even /. is a bit too big for my liking and to be "in" at /., it takes considerable effort on one's part to keep up. MR has much of a community feel to it and that's why i can understand people wanting to discuss things with other members of the community...

however, this does not mean that should be trolls... a better idea might be to restrict posting (but not viewing) on the political forum until a user has achieved a certain level of post counts on mac related discussions?

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: macrumors is about...

4) community

this site appeals to a wide range of people w/ (hopefully) one common view -- we like macs.

a community has been built up around that . it's not surprising to me to see a virtual society spring up and extend to other areas -- Community Discussion, MR Old Skool, Political/War, etc. it happens in real life all the time (e.g. hanging out w/ "work friends.")

to try to stop that is a losing battle, especially by concentrating on one area. instead, lay some ground rules and make sure everyone abides by them.

i don't discuss politics on other sites. why? i don't feel that sense of community there. here, i "know" people and know there's a common interest.

15. Dignan macrumors 6502a

Dignan

I think its about rumors concerning macs.

but thats just me.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Why the hell not?

Just kidding (really). But the questions do arise:

1. What is an insult?
    2. Who is a troll?
    3. What is a flame?

Really. I've been at the business end of some pretty pointy sticks over the last few months, but I've never felt so insulted or flamed that I felt the need to gripe about it to a moderator. If ever the discussions get too hot or I get too hot myself, I take a hike for a while.

Besides, we've always got that nifty "ignore" feature.

17. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

...it's about Macs and related topics IMHO

vSpacken

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If my Mac insulted and threatened other people, I'd be concerned too.

19. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Re: macrumors is about...

i totally agree with you zim. I thinkl that this site is more of a community then many other websites out there.

jef, don't leave because of the trolls, you are an asset to this community :)

-tazo

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

8 out of your last 11 posts have been in Community Discussion :)

21. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

These things happen in every message board I've seen.
    But MR is as whole very mature and intellectual community, perhaps that should compensate for bad things. :)

22. medea macrumors 68030

medea

whatever, I am so tired of people making such a big deal over things like this, ok yeah the board might be getting annoying, but why bitch and complain about it just leave. Everyone makes such a big deal when they are "leaving" the board, it's not that big a deal really, either deal with the trolls or don't.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's about macs. And rumors. It would be sad to see that go, even though I really enjoy the political debates. Most of them are fine, it only occasionally gets out of hand. It would be nice if we could keep it going, but not at the expense of the rest of the site. It would also be nice to not have personal threats/insults too. I'm glad Arn lets us have the political section, but its a priviledge, not a right.

I thought trolls were always a problem though right? I mean if they're not stirring up trouble in the political section won't they just come into the other sections and tell up all how much macs suck etc etc? I thought trolls were more interested in getting a response than in actually caring what topic they hijack.

Just my $.02

24. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Didn't see the way this came out coming...

This didn't really serve a purpose.

25. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i have been trying to tell newer members that, but since i am the one who made the stink about the political trolls, they usually won't listen to me

it's nice to hear another long time user who has seen the seasons of macrumors mirror what i have been saying in countless posts today

trolls wander and infect other areas of the site...but if it's mac related, it doesn't carry the fire and momentum of a lot of people online all amped up about politics

i assume other political sites are being linked to this site as a place to trash talk...but it's acutally...surprise surprise...about macs and rumors of macs:p :p :p