MacRumors is getting really popular!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I couldn't beleive it when I saw it, but just yesterday some of us were discussing in a thread about the number of new members and the fact that arn made it members only for the forums during the key note would cause the number of members to rise. Well, we got more than 1000 new members in 2 days!!!!!

Totally crazy!

Here are the stats for yesterday

As of 8:30 AM on the 17th (EST): Members: 6,376

and the new member numbers:

Members signed up on 17th (by 8:30 AM) - 226
    Members signed up on the 16th - ~200

The current member count is:

Members: 7,077 (11:47 AM, EST)

Way to go Arn!

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I have to say that is really impressive. I knew this place was starting to get crowded. :D

Way to go Arn.
    B2TM

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Nice job, arn and Macrumors.

I kind of had a feeling this site was the cause of MacWorld fever. What will it be like for San Fransisco? :rolleyes: :cool:

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

well, with that many signing up, I have to think that's got to be the best day yet. The usual amount of new members a day is in the 10-15 range, sometimes even less.

We might have to start a fund drive to get arn a new server - XServe of course.

D

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'll try to cough up some dinero soon, but, with all the bills and s!!t regarding our house in Maine we got it will be hard to cough up anything from an empty wallet. :(

But, honestly, I do want to contribute, and so does my father. But we are strapped for $.

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Come on queenie, you have to have some green stashed someplace in that snake hole of yours... :eek: (no the other hole ;)) :D

I think that arn should close the forums to non-members at each expo... that would drive the member count up.

The fund raising idea is a good one... we need to get arn a reliable server for the site. I had offered to build one for him a while back, but it wasn't meant to be. At this point, finances are a bit on the tight side. That will change early next year, so I might be able to do something at that point.

Either that, or I will just put more $$ into the Harley and keep the customization going forward. :D

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

>no the other hole
    You wouldn't want it if it came from there...Techie boy! :eek: :rolleyes:

Besides, I already told you we were too strapped to even get Norton Systemworks. It looks like it will be a VERY long time now.

>I think that arn should close the forums to non-members at each expo... that would drive the member count up.

Then everyone will want to become a member.

8. job macrumors 68040

job

If that happens, who knows how many "since Apple didn't release a G5, I'm going to Wintel" threads there will be. :rolleyes:

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I do hope that the door hits those ****ers in the ass on the way out. :D

10. job macrumors 68040

job

Nah, the pain of using a Wintel box for anything but games will be punishment enough. :D :D

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

That's all I use my AMD rig for titman... :D If I'm not playing a game on it, it's not even powered on.

12. job macrumors 68040

job

I know. :D

Note the fact I said "anything but games." :D

So are you going to buy one of the new Radeons? A 9000? :)

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

9700 :eek: :eek: :D :D :D :D

14. job macrumors 68040

job

Bah. :)

While I'm stuck here with my measly 8MB Rage 128 built in. Grr....:D :D

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

[Nelson] haaa haaaaaa [/Nelson]

What's that 8MB Rage 128 inside of?? :D

16. job macrumors 68040

job

The card is in my brother's iMac DV+

Mine died so I'm saving up for the next big tower revision. I actually don't mind the wait; the longer they don't release a tower, the more time I have to save money, eventually I hope to have enough for the mid-range or top-end model. :D

I have saved 700 dollars in two months (tax free!) and spend about 250....so I should have enough for a high end tower by MWSF :D :D

17. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

so now over the past hour or so we've got another 40 members.

what in the hell is going on? is there a story/article somewhere, or is word of mouth getting around - this is truly a puzzler.

MacRumors could be on its way to becoming the premiere mac rumor site on the web, woohoo!

18. job macrumors 68040

job

It's probably just due to arn's personal magnetism....
    Or not....:D

I have no clue why there are so many new people. Already we set a new record for the largest number of users online.

19. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Most users ever online was 417 on 05-14-2002 at 12:57 PM.

that wasn't yesterday. by making the forums only available to members probably prevented us from setting another record yesterday.

well what ever the reason is, its only helping the site. Hopefully we get a few more contributors becuase of it.

D

20. King Cobra macrumors 603

Yeah, but there were a solid 350 members aboard yesterday.

Remember back a while ago when I said that at the rate of growing numbers of members on the site whenever there is an Expo or a new product there might be up to 700 members on the forums? I think arn and a few others took this seriously, which is what I wanted them to do, and did, in fact, prevent such a number to be so high. I honestly think that if arn didn't take me seriously, we would have had around 1000 or so members and even worse server problems.

But a job is a job, and it was a job well done. :cool:

21. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I think by the end of the week, all the newbies will be gone until the next expo.... Just a thought

22. King Cobra macrumors 603

Burn 'em while you can, but don't Shaolin your MiddleFinger! :D :D :rolleyes: :eek: :D :cool:

23. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

KingCobra, you weren't around at MWSF, the issues were pretty bad then, and there have been a few times that others have risen up. There was never any question that something had to be done for this expo, especially after the last 400+ members were on the board - can't remember the event, don't know why - on may 14th.

anyway, most members don't use the forums, they just read the news and rumors, not that there's anything wrong with that.

D

24. King Cobra macrumors 603

duke, I do appreciate the research :rolleyes:, but I didn't plan on registering in until Feb. Besides, I didn't even visit the site during the Expo. In fact, I had some classwork that had to be done. Once that was done I went right to the broadcast on Apple's website and watched some demos of iPhoto and others. I was even able to see the iMac G4 rise up from the black table, or whatever it was. I saw basically the advertisement for it that was showed to the thousands attending.

I was planning to register for early March, but before that I visited the site very often.

25. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I was just being nice in responding to your previous post, that's all. The server issues were obvious, that was my point, and you weren't the only one talking/complaining/advising about it back then.:rolleyes: